JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

19 minutes ago, Putin said:

What the hell are you talking about ??? 

We all know the game is meaningless that’s NOT the point here , the point here IS he supposed to be taking a step forward and learning from his rookie mistakes , just like he learned to slide and NOT to get hit after the run , he needs to learn to throw the ball away and give your team a chance on the NEXT play , and yes IF it was a 4th down then we wouldn’t be talking about this ,Look  I Love Josh and he’s the one I wanted the Bills to draft and I’m his biggest supporter , I know he’s a smart kid and that’s why plays like this drives me nuts ?

Goooo Bills!!

I'm fine with Allen last night.  Still looks like a winner tome.

The INT?  I'm fine with it, especially in pre season.  The only way to learn how to throw over the middle is to do it and to make some mistakes along the way.  The only way to learn to see the field is to look and throw.  He will continue to make mistakes that young qbs make.  Two or three years from now he will have mastered it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm fine with Allen last night.  Still looks like a winner tome.

The INT?  I'm fine with it, especially in pre season.  The only way to learn how to throw over the middle is to do it and to make some mistakes along the way.  The only way to learn to see the field is to look and throw.  He will continue to make mistakes that young qbs make.  Two or three years from now he will have mastered it. 

Umm, sorry. That was a bone-head rookie throw. He needs to use less arm and more brains moving forward.

• Like (+1) 4

Once the regular games begin,  Allen will start scrambling again, and for big gains.  That’s who he is.  He won’t just stop.  I do believe he will be a better passer this year as well.   Looking for a solid season from big Josh.  

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Does anyone care that he made that same throw last year for big completions in 3 different games--2 of which were for 50+ yards?

Yes, it's a throw he needs to learn not to force, but it's also a club that he should keep in his bag.

I'm not going to over-analyze a throw in the preseason. However, whether the pass was completed or not that throw was a poor decision. Sometimes when a team is in a desperate situation it has no choice other than to take risks. This was not that type of situation. Josh Allen is a smart guy who has a desire to get better. When the play is reviewed in the film room I'm confident that he will learn from his mistake on that play. As you well know it is a process. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Once the regular games begin,  Allen will start scrambling again, and for big gains.  That’s who he is.  He won’t just stop.  I do believe he will be a better passer this year as well.   Looking for a solid season from big Josh.  

I totally agree with this ^^^ !!! 

I like the ( Big Josh ) BTW  !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The throw was ugly but it's preseason

That IS the time to take some stupid risks and see what happens. Now he knows it doesn't fly in an NFL game

But that in essence is who Josh Allen is , a gunslinger who doesn't like to let plays die. I expect he will do that again in his career

So did Favre

My thoughts exactly, even the Favre reference.

That play instantly reminded me of the two hero ball INTs he threw early last season. I thought for sure he was going to throw it away when he neared the sideline, and was pretty disappointed to see the result. BUT, this is when you want to make those mistakes if you're going to make them.

Things have been awful rosey around Allen lately, and a little dose of humble pie in a "meaningless" preseason game doesn't hurt. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not going to over-analyze a throw in the preseason. However, whether the pass was completed or not that throw was a poor decision. Sometimes when a team is in a desperate situation it has no choice other than to take risks. This was not that type of situation. Josh Allen is a smart guy who has a desire to get better. When the play is reviewed in the film room I'm confident that he will learn from his mistake on that play. As you well know it is a process. 

? 

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

that's the throw a wide eyed rookie makes...but not a 2nd year qb...

That's a throw that a desperate QB makes because he hasn't had success and doesn't get enough opportunities to succeed.  Plenty of veteran QB's have attempted that throw.  They do need to stop but the coaching staff can help by not limiting his opportunities to 3rd down.  The games Allen struggled the most were probably all game planned like this.  It drives me freaking crazy that coaches actually think the run first type of offense protects a QB.  Third down is the hardest down to pass on and first down is the easiest, you're actually putting too much pressure on the passing game when you only throw on 3rd down.  That is bad enough with an accurate QB, it is even more detrimental when you have a QB that needs to be in rhythm to be consistently accurate.  That game plan will guarantee that the Bills will be losers.  The 49ers with Montana passed early and often, then used the running game as a surprise to keep the defense guessing, that more than anything was why Montana and Young were well above other QB's in completion %.  The Patriots have done this same thing with Tom Brady.  They pass early and often.  It is one of the reasons completion percentages are higher, more teams are passing on first and second down then they used to.  People can make whatever excuse they want about giving a QB too many opportunities because you're afraid of all the bad things that can happen but when a QB knows he will have plenty of opportunity to make plays, he is going to be more willing to throw a pass away or take a check down.  Dan Marino and Drew Bledsoe threw the ball a lot but what people don't realize is that a lot of their passes came when they were losing and not early in the game.  Their coaches would try to force the run early and force them to convert 3rd downs consistently but sacks, drops, penalties and an occasional bad pass or decision would always end early drives.  Then at some point the coaches would be like well we got to give up on the run and they would let the QB try to win the game.  Sometimes they would and sometimes they wouldn't.  That was the genesis of my hatred of the run first philosophy.  It is a hard philosophy to win with and it is definitely not beneficial to the QB unless the team is great at protection, great at play calling and creating consistently make-able plays or that run first philosophy incorporates the QB like the Ravens did last year.  Run first like the Bills have done for years now, is one of the reasons they have consistently been a mediocre team.  It is a losers mentality to play that way and I can't watch the Bills this year if that is who they're going to be.

P.S.  I'm not excusing the throw, it was a bad decision but one that I feel was generated from the opportunities that Allen was getting and not something he would do if he was getting plenty of good opportunities to throw like he did in the first 2 games when the offense was pass first.

Edited by wiley16350
added information
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd feel much more comfortable with that poor decision if it weren't for the first two third down attempts. It was not a good night and certainly discouraging. It's a preseason game in which he attempted a mere 6 passes. But he wasn't good. Doesn't mean he can't be guy; just means he's got a LONG ways to go.

yeah preseason games always tend to discourage me. I base all four ( three really) preseason games on how the season is going to unfold. throwing merely 6 passes on what was expected to be a run heavy night leaves me very worried. I don't even need to watch the fourth preseason game as starters may only  play a series so I can go ahead now and use last nights game as an indication of how the season will go forward and since I'm so discouraged I now feel they may win 4, maybe 5 games? man, these preseason games have just taken all the excitement I had in looking forward to the 2019 season. so discouraging.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2