JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

Just put everything here:

Gameplan was to obviously run. He had a few attempts to throw the ball...

GOOD: 2 minute drive for a score

BAD: a few missed passes, scrambled in games he shouldn't

UGLY: the interception, which he owned, but still... terrible 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Just put everything here:

Gameplan was to obviously run. He had a few attempts to throw the ball...

GOOD: 2 minute drive for a score

BAD: a few missed passes, scrambled in games he shouldn't

UGLY: the interception, which he owned, but still... terrible 

that's the throw a wide eyed rookie makes...but not a 2nd year qb...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The throw was ugly but it's preseason

That IS the time to take some stupid risks and see what happens. Now he knows it doesn't fly in an NFL game

But that in essence is who Josh Allen is , a gunslinger who doesn't like to let plays die. I expect he will do that again in his career

So did Favre

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sure.  Do we even watch other games?

PertinentPreciousLemming-size_restricted

Has dealing with Brady for 18 years made us believe all QBs are flawless always?  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 14

38 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I was not a Josh Allen believer at first and gradually I started to believe. That throw was a nightmare. Never again. Throws like that and we aren't winning 9. I can't do 7 and below anymore. 

I'd feel much more comfortable with that poor decision if it weren't for the first two third down attempts. It was not a good night and certainly discouraging. It's a preseason game in which he attempted a mere 6 passes. But he wasn't good. Doesn't mean he can't be guy; just means he's got a LONG ways to go.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I was not a Josh Allen believer at first and gradually I started to believe. That throw was a nightmare. Never again. Throws like that and we aren't winning 9. I can't do 7 and below anymore. 

I like how when Josh has a bad night, you preface your remark with “ I was not a Josh Allen believer at first” as if your trying protect your couch potato cred.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not sure I agree with the rookie part - it is more like a throw a guy that over trusts his arm makes - no matter how many years they were in the league.  

We saw a guy like Farve throw similar passes late in his career - simply because he always thought his arm would win.

That is the exact play they are trying to get Josh away from - I just think that will most likely be a small part of his game forever and we need to accept that - it is part of who he is.

• Like (+1) 7

4 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

What bothers me is that it was a 2nd and 4 throw the damn ball away , 

• Like (+1) 3

But why not try it... If you are gonna try it why not do it in a meaningless preseason game and see just what you can get away with with his arm strength. Use that as a measuring stick for future reference.

And with the new PI rules a lot of good can come from just giving your reciever a chance. 

And good did come from it. If he had bailed out early and just threw the ball away he wouldn't have drawn a penalty flag.

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

What bothers me is that it was a 2nd and 4 throw the damn ball away , 

Doesn't bother me at all. It's a meaningless game. Throwing the ball away does nothing. Why not take the risk... What's the worst that gonna happen. You throw an INT in a game that doesn't matter. Its same reason teams go for in on 4th down in preseason when they obviously wouldn't in a real game. Take the risk and see what you can and can not do. Throwing it away does nothing in these type of games. But taking risks can be used to learn and improve.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, THAT’s something we can look forward to..

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree with the rookie part - it is more like a throw a guy that over trusts his arm makes - no matter how many years they were in the league.  

We saw a guy like Farve throw similar passes late in his career - simply because he always thought his arm would win.

That is the exact play they are trying to get Josh away from - I just think that will most likely be a small part of his game forever and we need to accept that - it is part of who he is.

Crazy thing was you could just see he was gonna try it regardless of how increasingly bad the play was developing. Flip it out of bounds and live to play 3rd & 4. But NNOOOOOOOOoooooooo..

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, THAT’s something we can look forward to..

Crazy thing was you could just see he was gonna try it regardless of how increasingly bad the play was developing. Flip it out of bounds and live to play 3rd & 4. But NNOOOOOOOOoooooooo..

Agreed - you could just see it coming - nothing had gone right and he wanted to make a play.

Just get to the next one and move on, but in the end making that terrible throw - lead to the weak roughing the passer call that lead to the score - so there is that.

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd feel much more comfortable with that poor decision if it weren't for the first two third down attempts. It was not a good night and certainly discouraging. It's a preseason game in which he attempted a mere 6 passes. But he wasn't good. Doesn't mean he can't be guy; just means he's got a LONG ways to go.

And yet he leads us 95 yards in a 2.5 minite drill in about a minute to take the lead going into halftime where the Bills had 2 turnovers inside their own 30 yardline and had drive starts inside their 15 yard line for much of the half. That's pretty encouraging.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

But why not try it... If you are gonna try it why not do it in a meaningless preseason game and see just what you can get away with with his arm strength. Use that as a measuring stick for future reference.

And with the new PI rules a lot of good can come from just giving your reciever a chance. 

And good did come from it. If he had bailed out early and just threw the ball away he wouldn't have drawn a penalty flag.

Doesn't bother me at all. It's a meaningless game. Throwing the ball away does nothing. Why not take the risk... What's the worst that gonna happen. You throw an INT in a game that doesn't matter. Its same reason teams go for in on 4th down in preseason when they obviously wouldn't in a real game. Take the risk and see what you can and can not do. Throwing it away does nothing in these type of games. But taking risks can be used to learn and improve.

What the hell are you talking about ??? 

We all know the game is meaningless that’s NOT the point here , the point here IS he supposed to be taking a step forward and learning from his rookie mistakes , just like he learned to slide and NOT to get hit after the run , he needs to learn to throw the ball away and give your team a chance on the NEXT play , and yes IF it was a 4th down then we wouldn’t be talking about this ,Look  I Love Josh and he’s the one I wanted the Bills to draft and I’m his biggest supporter , I know he’s a smart kid and that’s why plays like this drives me nuts ?

Goooo Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

IMO his first few throws he looked like he was ahead of the receivers. Even though he didn’t complete them, I’m seeing mental progress. He still needs better timing / chemistry with the new receivers. I’m kind of frustrated that we aren’t seeing the stretch the field throws, but we still get the throwing across his body crap. I’m putting that more on the coaching staff. Last year, his attempts to go deep opened up everything because it kept the defense on its heels. Looks like he has to make more contested throws out there because teams are less worried about him going over the top.