Gameday Thread Bills at Detroit 2nd Half

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

I don't believe that's the case for him though. The Bills can either have him on the active roster or use the exemption for the PS. He would only have to be cut to get on the regular PS

Incorrect.   He has to go through waivers in either case.  If he clears waivers, and the Bill's add him to the regular PS, he can be signed to another teams active roster.  If the Bill's sign him using the exemption as the 11th PS member, he can't be signed away...but the Bill's can't elevate him for the entire season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Overall he’s been sharp all TC and preseason. Were you making similar QB controversy barbs before tonight? After leading the league in pass attempts in preseason going into tonight, The Bills clearly were looking to establish the run game with their 1s. Look, it’s a great story to peddle that Bark should now be anointed as starter, but the bulk of where we’ve come from just doesn’t support that, sorry. 

I think JA should absolutely be the starter. I think the idea that Barkley not being right behind him if JA showcases the same deficiencies is just ridiculous though. He should not be the guaranteed starter for the next 3 or 4 years because he loves Buffalo and looks like a corn-fed western NYer and says the right things in interviews,

Edited by SouthernBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthernBills said:

This is actually a reasonable point about perceived upside/ceiling vs. floor. JA's upside is based very little on production. Bark was a Tier-1 recruit, played well at a great school, and has been a reasonably competent NFL QB by all accounts. Is JA's ceiling high because he was a highly-touted recruit? Did he tear up low-level college FB like say Carson Wentz? Did he have insane numbers against lower level comp? Did he put all the doubters to bed by showing something different in his rookie NFL starts? 

No he was incredibly inaccurate and incredibly athletic, which is what the knock has always been. What is crazy about questioning terrible decisions that demonstrate all his weaknesses in the most important preseason game? 

Kudos to Barkley for coming in and playing well.  I think he can be a quality back-up QB here for a number of years.  Hell he may even get a chance to start on another team before his career is over.

But the reality is that over his career he's been less then a competent QB.  He has thrown 10 TD's and 18 INT's; his career QB rating is 68 and he's completed just under 60% of his passes.  And this includes that amazing game he had last year against the Jets.  This is why IMO there is no QB controversy.  Which is a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Incorrect.   He has to go through waivers in either case.  If he clears waivers, and the Bill's add him to the regular PS, he can be signed to another teams active roster.  If the Bill's sign him using the exemption as the 11th PS member, he can't be signed away...but the Bill's can't elevate him for the entire season.

Precisely correct.

1 minute ago, The Bills Blog said:

If. Christian. Wade. Is. Cut. He. Can. Be. Claimed. By. Another. Team.

He. Must. Clear. Waivers. Before. Being. Signed. To. The. Practice. Squad. (Regardless of whether or not the international spot is used)

Wade. Cannot. Make. The. Practice. Squad. Without. Being. Cut. And. Being. Exposed. To. Waivers. First.

He would have to be signed to a teams 53 though right? I don’t see that happening

1 minute ago, The Bills Blog said:

If. Christian. Wade. Is. Cut. He. Can. Be. Claimed. By. Another. Team.

He. Must. Clear. Waivers. Before. Being. Signed. To. The. Practice. Squad. (Regardless of whether or not the international spot is used)

Wade. Cannot. Make. The. Practice. Squad. Without. Being. Cut. And. Being. Exposed. To. Waivers. First.

Nice period.

1 minute ago, SouthernBills said:

I think JA should absolutely be the starter. I think the idea that Barkley not being right behind him if JA showcases the same deficiencies is just ridiculous though. He should not be the guaranteed starter for the next 3 or 4 years because he loves Buffalo and looks like a corn-fed western NYer and says the right things in interviews,

I agree with you—this is a merit based league and no one is guaranteed anything they don’t earn. I’m confident Josh will keep you relatively happy this season though. :)