Group Chat: Immediate Reactions

Preseason games aren't meaningless. Its clear Josh and crew were out of sync and they need more game reps not less.

Also way too many penalties on both sides, teams looked sloppy.

The less these guys practice the more they get dinged up. 3 lions went down in the first half alone. There comes a point were you actually need to be conditioned to hitting and doing less is not helping.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Preseason games aren't meaningless. Its clear Josh and crew were out of sync and they need more game reps not less.

Also way too many penalties on both sides, teams looked sloppy.

The less these guys practice the more they get dinged up. 3 lions went down in the first half alone. There comes a point were you actually need to be conditioned to hitting and doing less is not helping.

Was it clear though? Josh had 6 pass attempts for the HALF.

that can't be allowed to happen in an actual game. WAY too many first down runs.

Seemed like when they opened the playbook on the two minute drill, things looked a bunch better.

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Duke & Yeldon have to be considered. Everyone claims Ray Ray has improved, but he's still dropping balls.

I agree. I had Duke & Yeldon penciled in as cuts. Just erased that theory. Yeldon’s receiving prowess was on full display and its great! So, 4 RBs??

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Not sure we'll have a more definite idea with the 4th game if he doesn't play there I don't know what they're doing but hiding him though I feel that would be really obvious.

Duke definitely stacked another nice day.

Duke in, Ray Ray out, the way I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

The kid has played less than one season, and this was his first time getting all the reps in TC. I’ll stay relaxed, with fingers crossed. For a while.....

Not a great night for JA, but at the same time they went run first and looks like the coach's took away the short game on purpose [not tipping hand to the Jets], forcing him to make only tight-window, intermediate throws, of which he had a few beauties.

Bad pick, but if you listen to JA after the game, it almost sounds like he was thinking: it's only pre-season, I'll let it fly - I like to think there's a mature component to an otherwise awful decision.

• Like (+1) 2

I like this team.  Penalties were a mess.  Beasley fumble was unfortunate, but otherwise I'm happy.  

I liked two minute drill.  I liked run game. I liked passing game, which wasn't used until Josh got his rest. 

I love the defense. Really really good.  I really loved Edmunds.  Speed and smarts on display.  

I loved the winning attitude that generated yhe takeaway the third down run to win the game.

Very nice, all around. 

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I like this team.  Penalties were a mess.  Beasley fumble was unfortunate, but otherwise I'm happy.  

I liked two minute drill.  I liked run game. I liked passing game, which wasn't used until Josh got his rest. 

I love the defense. Really really good.  I really loved Edmunds.  Speed and smarts on display.  

I loved the winning attitude that generated yhe takeaway the third down run to win the game.

Very nice, all around. 

Our defense got smoked by Stafford. I think our defense is good but that was a reality check yesterday. I am less confident in them now.

Edited by fishgrappler

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The fact that we are 3-0 with Tyree Jackson playing significant time says something.  Not sure what.  Maybe that our 53 man roster is gonna be good.  But everything still rests on Allen.  

Means nothing

9 hours ago, berg1029 said:

The way I see it.. there are 2 possible end game strategies for Josh: 

1)  try to force him to become an efficient passer that takes less risks and runs less.  i.e. a Ben Roethlisberger type 

2)  a player that runs and passes very aggressively.  I'm not sure who would be the best comparison for this type of player.  Maybe somewhere in between Mahomes and Cam Newton?  

there are things he can do that no other QB can.  if you actively try to coach it out of him, he might not be able to make use of his biggest advantage:  his physical gifts.  it's kind of a fine line to walk because you want to play to his strengths, but you don't want costly turnovers.

In case 1, you would want him coax him out of that sort of thing, whereas in case 2 you would want him to learn what he can get away with and what he can't (i.e. when to make that cross body throw that almost no one else in the league would even attempt) and maybe even help him develop these talents so that he is more efficient using them.  

how the coaching staff proceeds with him is going to be interesting. 

Am I the only one that thinks Josh is terrible at throwing in the run? I felt like last year every time he did it he was seriously under throwing his targets. Think back to how many times Zay had to come back for the ball last year. Then of course people want to blame Zay for drops. 

I know josh isn’t and won’t be perfect. I’m a huge fan of him. But I get itchy any time I see him run if it even looks like he’s going to throw it. Just tuck and run or throw it away 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The defense played well against the run for the most part and the #1 pass defense was off. 

Probably a mirage of vanilla defenses. 

Probably a product of the fake #1 ranked pass defense. We were so high last year because teams didn’t have to pass to beat us. Which is why our run defense was terrible last year. 

Im not saying the defense is bad. I think they look pretty good overall. But the thought that they were touted as the #2 ranked defense and best against the pass is a joke. When it mattered they could stop people from getting into the end zone 

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Rough night for the starting offense. Tough to evaluate with all the penalties and turnovers.

Mjs, I hear you, and it was very frustrating, but can we just admit that the goal of the night before even started was “work the run”?

i believe I am correct, but not 100% sure in saying that for the entire first half, even for the start of the 2 minute drill, that there was no series that began with a pass on first down, and no first down throw until less than 2 minutes.