Group Chat: Officiating

God it’s going to be a long season. 

Kinda feel like they’re milking the games to last longer for more ad revenue or something. Hope they’re just trying to intimidate the players and this won’t rollover to the regular season 

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think the holding call on Zay Jones was a little tricky tack. But they did a solid job.

Agreed. It was a really bad call. Zay got pancaked; he didn’t take his guy down. Refs have to use some common sense there— a 200 pound WR is not pulling down a 300-pound lineman like that. 

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Agreed. It was a really bad call. Zay got pancaked; he didn’t take his guy down. Refs have to use some common sense there— a 200 pound WR is not pulling down a 300-pound lineman like that. 

I don't feel as strongly as that. Zay could have had his hands on him and that could have aided in bringing the defender down with him. But to me it just looked like they both fell as a result of the defender engaging Zay Jones. Should have been a no call. But not a huge error.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the officiating was okay, just so long as they call it the same, game to game, team to team.  They have to learn what they are and aren't going to call, and adjust accordingly.

For instance, we got a gimmie interception overturned by a ticky-tack call on roughing JA.  BUT, if they're going to call that game to game, team to team (QB to QB) the same, then so be it, defenses have to know that, and act to make sure they don't draw that call.  And honestly, I think they've been calling that 'push' on JA pretty fairly.  Yeah, wimpy call, but they call it pretty evenly across the board (at least when they're trying to protect the QB - JA didn't get them last year, hopefully this year he will).

Otherwise, I thought it was pretty evenly called, even if it was sloppy (and that's, I guess, to be expected, 3rd game in pre-season).

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good calls or not, so many flags just flat out ruin the watching experience 

Flags, timeouts, commercials during the game (when they aren't at break in other words but still plugging something) the games are incredibly disjointed with no flow or immersion whatsoever.

Been that way for decades but it gets worse all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

Offensive holding is a joke in the NFL the way it’s called for some teams and not others. Brad Allen and crew sure make a game boring. I’ll have to remember to place a bet on the opponent if I see the Bills draw Allen and crew in a given week. Can add him to John Parry for title of NFLs worst. 

4 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I thought the roughing the passer against Josh Allen was a kinda weak call. Worked out good for us, but it just didn't look like roughing to me.

It was, as he was hardly touched, but the point is, the defender quite clearly didn't have to do it.

While 'afters' has been part of the NFL (and most other contact sports) seemingly forever, there's really no  reason for this sort of stuff to happen if the officials are doing their job properly.

It's also true to say that Allen got hit a lot harder, and more often last season, and under the same sorts of circumstances. Hopefully he will continue to get the sort of protection he got last night from the officicials. I wouldn't necessarily bank on that though, as you can be sure the zebras knew they were on national tv, and had to be shown to be doing their job. ;)

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

When coaches are challenging plays to "test" the pass interference enforcement rules, the league may have introduced a rule(s) that's not ready to be part of games?

A rule that the coaches begged for....

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Offensive holding is a joke in the NFL the way it’s called for some teams and not others. Brad Allen and crew sure make a game boring. I’ll have to remember to place a bet on the opponent if I see the Bills draw Allen and crew in a given week. Can add him to John Parry for title of NFLs worst. 

They officiated that game?  If so, we won so you may not want to place that bet.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I think the holding call on Zay Jones was a little tricky tack. But they did a solid job.

Zay was pancaked. Flagging him for holding on that reminded me of Remember The Titans, where the opposing coach complains to the ref for Sunshine to get flagged for a personal foul. Different circumstances, but it just seems silly to flag a guy that was pancaked. I thought the same thing when they flagged a DT for holding on a run by the Lions (although I didn't see the "hold"). Did he grab two offensive linemen or something? If so, those linemen are sissies for not breaking loose from one man and shouldn't be rewarded with a penalty flag.

Other than that, I didn't think it was a terribly officiated game. Allen did get bailed out on a weak PF, but you could argue the defender shouldn't have even touched Allen so late. He did hit his head on the turf as a result.