Group Chat: Coaching

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not happy with the play selection in the first half.

Remember that this was a near game environment and the goal was to work the run game, it was not intended to be played as a real game.  Preseason is for practicing various concepts in a “near game environment”

Go Bills !!!

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Remember that this was a near game environment and the goal was to work the run game, it was not intended to be played as a real game.  Preseason is for practicing various concepts in a “near game environment”

Go Bills !!!

I get that. What I'm saying is I don't think I ever want to see that in a real game environment. Barring of course a 6 minuter clock run out.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I get that. What I'm saying is I don't think I ever want to see that in a real game environment. Barring of course a 6 minuter clock run out.

Oh for sure, neither would I, and I suspect we won’t.

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Honestly, I’ve learned that unless it’s as egregious as the NRC play in the NFC title game, they are not going to change it. There was a play in the Redskins game Thursday night that was truly a head scratcher. Offensive player was incorrectly called for OPI, and on review, it was UPHELD, which was absolutely ridiculours. Ball was under thrown and he was going for the ball, never put his hands on the defender. And the defender had his back to the ball, just running straight into the receiver. It was clear as day that it was NOT offensive pass interference. Even the commentators were like, “what?!?!?!?” I’ll see if I can find a video.

the point is, unless you take the guy out 5 minutes before the ball gets there, they’re not going to change any calls. The review of PI is going to be basically useless.

@Chandler#81

heres the link. I stand corrected.. it wasn’t on Thursday night, but my point is the same nonetheless. If THIS is upheld on review, then the entire thing is an absolute joke.

Riveron(?) said the call was upheld because the replay did not show the entire route and the offensive player may have pushed the defender off prior to what was seen on the video.  I always thought the official that made the call should be part of the review process.  They know what they saw or think they did and it either matches the video replay or doesn't.

Never mind.  Already covered.  The point about the flag out of the pocket is a definitive.  The call was made on something that occurred well before the ball arrived.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Hated how they just handed the ball off over and over and only passed on obvious passing downs allowing Defense to just T off against Josh. 

I get if they wanted to work the Run game but in that case just put Barkley under center and sit Josh rather than risk Injury. 

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Definitely I think that's really the only time a scheme like that is warranted or makes sense. At no other point does it make sense to let the defense know what's coming like that.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hated how they just handed the ball off over and over and only passed on obvious passing downs allowing Defense to just T off against Josh. 

I get if they wanted to work the Run game but in that case just put Barkley under center and sit Josh rather than risk Injury. 

I really have no problem with it. They clearly wanted to work on the run game. The first two games was all about working on short and intermediate passing game. Shady and gore need to get into a rhythm as well as the online. The miss direction handoff to McKenzie was a thing of beauty  and that kind of timing needs to be practiced.  Having a strong running game is the best thing in the development of JA.

I posted this elsewhere but it's best moved here since we are talking about coaching.

We have to remember that these coaches have a plan to which they have stuck throughout preseason and the games.  They are all into evaluating their team and schemes, but also individual players.  We are so used to Bills coaches just trotting out there and playing and seeing what they have versus setting things up so that they can get a better evaluation.  That's what yesterday was.  Not the "dress rehearsal" we've seen from teams in the past, but rather experimenting with player combinations and schemes to better evaluate those players.  Didn't McD say all week when talking about the wide receiver battle they need to see what else they do...particularly blocking?  So yesterday was all about blocking for the running game.  I also think yesterday they were evaluating different players on special teams, hence, the Bills looked out of sorts in that area yesterday. 

When you think of it, they have 90 guys and only 53 roster spots...precious commodities.  In addition to having to strategically keep as many players in various positions for rotational or injury purposes, you also need to see what else players can do so that a roster spot isn't just given to a player who plays special teams only.  Last year, they scrounged for 53 players that could play...period.  This year, they have choices to make which will be extremely difficult, as we finally have quality and depth.  

As much as we found last night's game to be more difficult to watch than the previous two, the coaches were busy seeing and evaluating so that we field the best team possible.

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Riveron(?) said the call was upheld because the replay did not show the entire route and the offensive player may have pushed the defender off prior to what was seen on the video.  I always thought the official that made the call should be part of the review process.  They know what they saw or think they did and it either matches the video replay or doesn't.

Never mind.  Already covered.  The point about the flag out of the pocket is a definitive.  The call was made on something that occurred well before the ball arrived.

Honestly, the official is pulling his flag out when they're both in the air. But I'm on board if there was OPI earlier in the route.

But did you see the second play in that clip I posted? They overturned something that clearly wasn't pass interference, and wasn't called as such, and turned it INTO pass interference. It's absolutely absurd. This nonsense is going to be more maddening than the initial blown calls. When they go to replay, and make an even more outrageous decision than what we saw in real time.