Group Chat: Coaching

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

PI challenges are ridiculous. McDermott’s nefarious record now stands at 1 for 12. Otherwise, nothing to complain about.

Eh I think they were just having a go of it just to test how things worked and get more film for review.

McD made a fundamental error right before half.  He should have called timeout with 15-20 secs left which if Det goes for the FG and misses we would have had 1-2 plays to try to get into FG range.  Det may have just punted or gone for it.  Either way we should have called TO to not let them milk the clock and kick without any potential liability if they missed.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

McD made a fundamental error right before half.  He should have called timeout with 15-20 secs left which if Det goes for the FG and misses we would have had 1-2 plays to try to get into FG range.  Det may have just punted or gone for it.  Either way we should have called TO to not let them milk the clock and kick without any potential liability if they missed.

Agree but I assumed that was because it was preseason and he was happy to move to the second half.  

• Like (+1) 2

I blame the coaching for the unacceptable amount and the types of penalties. The holding on ST with a fair catch called was unacceptable. Coaches are responsible for fielding a disciplined team. This was a sloppy, unprepared and undisciplined group. Especially on ST and Offense. I am not talking about the 2s and 3s, you might expect that from them. It is the #1s I'm talking about.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

PI challenges are ridiculous. McDermott’s nefarious record now stands at 1 for 12. Otherwise, nothing to complain about.

Honestly, I think coaches in general are challenging these just to get a database once we get to the regular season. I have no problem with it. I’d have a problem with it if it were a regular season game... but I think it’s more just trying to get a feel for the new rule and to see how these things are going to be officiated.

Just now, CLTbills said:

Honestly, I think coaches in general are challenging these just to get a database once we get to the regular season. I have no problem with it. I’d have a problem with it if it were a regular season game... but I think it’s more just trying to get a feel for the new rule and to see how these things are going to be officiated.

Good take. So tell me, what have we learned? That there is no feel for it? There’s contact between Receiver and DB virtually all the way through a pattern. The point at which one player diminishes the others effort on the ball is far too nefarious. Ghost calls are not likely the thinking behind the rule,  but that’s what’s happening, imo.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good take. So tell me, what have we learned? That there is no feel for it? There’s contact between Receiver and DB virtually all the way through a pattern. The point at which one player diminishes the others effort on the ball is far too nefarious. Ghost calls are not likely the thinking behind the rule,  but that’s what’s happening, imo.

Honestly, I’ve learned that unless it’s as egregious as the NRC play in the NFC title game, they are not going to change it. There was a play in the Redskins game Thursday night that was truly a head scratcher. Offensive player was incorrectly called for OPI, and on review, it was UPHELD, which was absolutely ridiculours. Ball was under thrown and he was going for the ball, never put his hands on the defender. And the defender had his back to the ball, just running straight into the receiver. It was clear as day that it was NOT offensive pass interference. Even the commentators were like, “what?!?!?!?” I’ll see if I can find a video.

the point is, unless you take the guy out 5 minutes before the ball gets there, they’re not going to change any calls. The review of PI is going to be basically useless.

@Chandler#81

heres the link. I stand corrected.. it wasn’t on Thursday night, but my point is the same nonetheless. If THIS is upheld on review, then the entire thing is an absolute joke.

16 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Honestly, I’ve learned that unless it’s as egregious as the NRC play in the NFC title game, they are not going to change it. There was a play in the Redskins game Thursday night that was truly a head scratcher. Offensive player was incorrectly called for OPI, and on review, it was UPHELD, which was absolutely ridiculours. Ball was under thrown and he was going for the ball, never put his hands on the defender. And the defender had his back to the ball, just running straight into the receiver. It was clear as day that it was NOT offensive pass interference. Even the commentators were like, “what?!?!?!?” I’ll see if I can find a video.

the point is, unless you take the guy out 5 minutes before the ball gets there, they’re not going to change any calls. The review of PI is going to be basically useless.

@Chandler#81

heres the link. I stand corrected.. it wasn’t on Thursday night, but my point is the same nonetheless. If THIS is upheld on review, then the entire thing is an absolute joke.

It got pointed out that the OPI was earlier in the route where the receiver pushed off to gain the separation that caused the later contact.  

I believe they made the correct call - you just can’t see it from the game film - because that part was prior to the downfield view.

The ref had already started pulling the flag and throwing it well before the late contact.  It was actually the correct call - just hard to see in the context of the game and rule change.

There is a beautiful view of the ref with the flag getting ready to throw it just before the contact occurs.  It is obvious after the fact that they called the receiver push off and that was seen on review and upheld.  That lead to the defensive PI, but that was not called - so it stayed as just OPI and was correct.

Edited by Rochesterfan

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

@Chandler#81

If you look at 0:25 and 0:26 seconds in the video there is the perfect shot of the ref with the flag already out and starting to throw it and the ball is just arriving at the receiver.  

That is how how you can be sure whatever he saw had occurred well before the the final contact.

The 2 announcers were from the Redskins feed - so of course they were like what the heck - I mean Joe T has not been a relevant announcer for over a decade - this is like Tasker questioning calls in a Bills game.

The problem is the limited view we have compared to the refs and people assume all the time that the tape is correct, but our view of the tape is very limited and the refs are focused on a specific area/player group.

In the end though - I agree the rule change was stupid and we are seeing the exact reason why -  ticky-tack hand fight occurs on every play and you have just inserted a rule to point that out and it will be enforced inconsistently and cause more problems than it solves.  Good job Coaches - getting what you want when you don’t know the issues it will cause - stupid.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not happy with the play selection in the first half.

I was totally happy with it once I caught on. This was a night dedicated to seeing what we had in the run game (mainly, for the o-line), and it proved capable. The first two games were about the short passing game, this was about running. Success!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CSBill said:

I was totally happy with it once I caught on. This was a night dedicated to seeing what we had in the run game (mainly, for the o-line), and it proved capable. The first two games were about the short passing game, this was about running. Success!

I'm definitely willing to walk back my initial take on singletary.

• Like (+1) 2