Group Chat: Your takes on the Defense tonight

I, for one, was not impressed last night. Yes, they were is some big holes with the turnovers, but they also let Stafford carve them up on that long drive. Basically, the man coverage was terrible, and they did not impress in run defense.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Very efficient but the lack of pass rush is frustrating.

Yep. Blitzing was another story -poured through the OL, but that’s not Frazier’s forte. Oliver is still learning via hard knocks and I don’t think we’ve seen the best pass rush grouping we may have yet. Beyond the ever-rotating philosophy, I think there’s an idea of who we’d prefer in obvious situations.

41 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I, for one, was not impressed last night. Yes, they were is some big holes with the turnovers, but they also let Stafford carve them up on that long drive. Basically, the man coverage was terrible, and they did not impress in run defense.

Dee-twah did not convert a 3rd down until the 4th quarter.  In a regular season game I doubt they would have gone for it on 4th the way they did twice in the first half.  Run defense was absolutely fine.

Very disappointed at series of interviews with defensive players coming off  a 6-10 season being seemingly annoyed that they are not being lauded as superstars.  That attitude is not likely to lead to playing at a higher level because they "have a chip on their shoulder".  If the focus is not on the team winning, but earning individual laurels, then it is likely the team won't be winning. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Very disappointed at series of interviews with defensive players coming off  a 6-10 season being seemingly annoyed that they are not being lauded as superstars.  That attitude is not likely to lead to playing at a higher level because they "have a chip on their shoulder".  If the focus is not on the team winning, but earning individual laurels, then it is likely the team won't be winning. 

What players were most vocal?

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"Only" rushing 4 isn't holding back.........you gotta' get pressure with just 4.........and they didn't.........and the Lions had a lot of time to throw the ball.

Where that lack of pressure really shows up is in the red zone........that's why their red zone defense struggled last season.

They were pretty good in the red zone last night. Lions got away with a blatant pick on their TD 

I think they were testing some things last night and it was ugly at times- I think McD looks at preseason similar to Levy as a time to try things and see what happens. One good thing last night was Shaq showed up as an individual on quite a few plays

The defensive line was not winning 1-1 battles with the Lion's offensive line, giving Stafford way too much time to pass.  It looked like the Bills defense left off from last December, rush four, maybe win a 1-1 battle on occasion (resulting in no QB pressure), and put the pressure of pass defensive squarely on the DBs.  Completely backward approach; you can't count on the DBs to win at pass defense in a league that clearly favors the offense.  Need to get pressure on the QB; McD claims to know this, but does he?  I'm not sure what Frazier knows.

• Like (+1) 2