Group Chat: Your takes on the Offense tonight

I don't know how many NFL teams can run their offense simply by out executing the other team. It is clear the Bill's are not one of those teams.  If the regular season offense is predictable it will not be effective.   The Bills simply don't have better talent on offense than opponents will generally have on defense.  The WR's while better than last year, are Meh as a group. Line is better than last year but it seems to be at best an average line.  TE's are better than last years, but it is hard to say that they are above NFL average.  I love Josh Allen.  I hope last nights game was an aberration. He was awful.  Their is no star at RB.  It is hard to see at this point that our RBs as a group will reach the level of average NFL team production.   When you assemble all the parts, this offense is better than the 2018 Bills, which was a historically bad offense, but it still is not even yet at the level of average NFL offense. 

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As an aside, pay attention to what certain writers/commentators say about this game.  If they were paying attention they'll clearly explain what the Bill's offense was trying to do.  But if they have an agenda they talk about Allen's bad throws and how the offense regressed.  The summary's of this game will tell you who the experts really are.

Exactly! The team was Practicing, this is exactly what preseason is for!

Why so many Nancies here don’t realize that preseason games are indeed practices, and important is mind boggling.  How the heck are you gonna find out if what your trying to achieve works at all with out giving it a test run in a “near game environment”.   Good on the coaching staff.

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Run/Run/Pass.

That's not how you play with this QB, period. On the ONE drive in which he was allowed to make plays, he (shocker) made plays and looked good.

If THAT is the offense Daboll is planning on running with this kid, MEH.

Right. Allen threw only 7 passes in the half, with 5 of them in obvious passing downs. The offense in the first half was clearly about the running game. I had no problem with his accuracy and he made one bad decision that should have ended in an interception. It happens. Allen wasn't great; however, he certainly wasn't awful.

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I don't know how many NFL teams can run their offense simply by out executing the other team. It is clear the Bill's are not one of those teams.  If the regular season offense is predictable it will not be effective.   The Bills simply don't have better talent on offense than opponents will generally have on defense.  The WR's while better than last year, are Meh as a group. Line is better than last year but it seems to be at best an average line.  TE's are better than last years, but it is hard to say that they are above NFL average.  I love Josh Allen.  I hope last nights game was an aberration. He was awful.  Their is no star at RB.  It is hard to see at this point that our RBs as a group will reach the level of average NFL team production.   When you assemble all the parts, this offense is better than the 2018 Bills, which was a historically bad offense, but it still is not even yet at the level of average NFL offense. 

What don't you get about preseason being a time to observe and evaluate your players? You don't understand this concept but feel qualified to disparage basically all units on the team? Don't go near any tall bridges.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDermott and co need to pick a lineup and stick with it.  

The constant shuffling is not helping 

Ah, constant shuffling in preseason is so unsettling. They should have picked a 53 man roster at the beginning of training camp and stuck with it!

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

Didn't get to see the game. Did Knox play? How'd he do?

wasn't targeted on the passing game, but he was active as a blocker, he threw a key block (same as Duke Williams) on the McKenzie TD.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

And from what I saw last night, our running game may be resurrected from last season.

The run blocking is in a different league this year. Shady and Gore didn't look their age last night and Singletary looked faster on that TD. Sprinkle some play action deep shots in and we might have something here.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDermott and co need to pick a lineup and stick with it.  

The constant shuffling is not helping 

...Mouse was the "master tinkerer" and he kept doing so until he got the best combo...why not?....besides with all of the new personnel, new OL Coach and OL injuries, why not AGAIN?....

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He deserves all the criticism in the world for that INT. That was a god awful decision and It's not the first time he's done that. 

He is not a good QB..... yet. He is the reason this team MIGHT not make the playoffs. C'mon, Josh got to play smarter, much smarter. One dumb play can sink the whole game

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Josh was really, really bad tonight. As good as he was last week, he was equally BAD this week. Let's just call a spade a spade. Yes, he didn't get many opportunities and I don't really care for that approach. There was very little pressure, so let him air it out a little bit and get the bitter taste out of his mouth. But with the opportunities he had, he simply wasn't good. I thought McCoy/Gore/and Singletary all looked good. Singletary's TD was evidence that the nose he had for the EZ  in college will translate well to the show. Beasley obviously had a terrible moment with the fumble. Brown looks very comfortable. Cody Ford looked outstanding. It's really tough to evaluate the receivers based on the game plan; which I just don't understand. It seems as if they've decided they're gonna keep 7 WR's.

what Hee said !!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I’m still blown away that we have two Top-25-All-Time running backs on the roster.   That’s cool stuff.

I might be "blown away" if they were in their prime, but to my surprise, it does appear that they both have something left in the tank.

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Foster bas done it in the regular season.  This is preseason.  Some of us seem to forget this is preseason and what Peterman did last preseason and this preseason.

You'd think Foster was a perennial pro bowler with how some tout his experience around here.

My argument is simply that Foster shouldn't be a lock right now with how everybody else is playing. I'm shocked that the board consensus seems to be that he's completely safe with all of this WR competition.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they keep 6 and unfortunately I think they want Zay on the roster.

I think they should keep Foster and/or Williams over Zay but these guys love their draft picks. 

IMO the final 6 will be

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

Jones

McKenzie

Foster/Williams

I think that's a good possibility. As up and down as Foster has been, not a fan of cutting bait. Guys with that kind of explosive big play ability don't grown on trees. Agreed that they want to keep Jones and that's...unfortunate.

19 minutes ago, Nelius said:

You'd think Foster was a perennial pro bowler with how some tout his experience around here.

My argument is simply that Foster shouldn't be a lock right now with how everybody else is playing. I'm shocked that the board consensus seems to be that he's completely safe with all of this WR competition.

His upside is higher than anyone else at WR.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I thought they ran the ball well.  What they need to work on is to many holding penalties on the O line. 

On the plus side, they had two red zone rushing TD's and I don't think any run lost yards.  Second & 7 sure beats 2nd & 13!

Don't let the naysayers get you down on Allen.  He was highly restricted as the Bills worked almost exclusively on their running game.  Through their first 6 possessions the Bills DID NOT throw the ball on 1st down.  And they only lined up in the shotgun a couple of times.  They also didn't throw the ball more then 15 yards down the field.

It was only near the end of the half with the Bills backed up against their own end zone that they took the shackles off Allen & the passing game and the result was a 95 yard TD drive to give Buffalo the halftime lead.  In that drive Allen was in the shot gun a lot where he threw two dimes for nice gains to John Brown with BOTH passes coming on 1st down.  Allen also had a nice 10 yard run for a 1st down in which he got out of bounds.  McCoy had a great run out of a shot gun hand off and Singleterry was the beneficiary of a Ford pancake block that sprung him for a 9 yard TD. 

I agree. 

The throw by Allen has me bummed though.  I thought he had grown out of that type of play.  Really poor decision.

I could barely finish watching the first quarter. Matt Patricia's defense made Josh Allen look like he was a rookie again in the first half of the season. The offense was unprepared and flat as hell like all the last 20 years of Bill's offenses. I was going to bet that the Bills would have more than 7 wins this year. I don't know. They ain't getting passed New England this year. 

Edited by sleepypete#88

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They said they wanted to get Shady and Gore work last night; they did what they said they'd do.

Part of me keeps thinking the plan was to showcase Gore AND McCoy.  The one that gets the highest bid, we trade.  Beane has pulled showcase and trade before (Sammy).