Group Chat: Your takes on the Offense tonight

Just now, TtownBillsFan said:

When you can run the ball, when they think you're going to run the ball, you're in a great position.  But I'm pretty sure you know that already.

Yeah mostly I'm disappointed because I wanted to see a more fun offense and I know what it's going to be like on here for the next couple weeks and in the media.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Barkley attempted 13 passes in the 3rd quarter alone compared to Allen attempting only 6 passes in the entire first half.

The coaches used each half to work on two very different offensive things. 

Yep first half was run game and 2 minute drill and the second half was "So you think you can be a Bills WR."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He deserves all the criticism in the world for that INT. That was a god awful decision and It's not the first time he's done that. 

He does, for the INT that was overturned by the penalty;  I agree, fully.  I hope that doesn't continue into the regular season.  It was a bad decision, and hopefully he recognizes what he did and why he shouldn't do it ever again.  But they're going to happen with JA, as I think he's very Favre like, in that he'll take a chance, as he trusts his arm, for good or bad.  We'll see what happens going forward, but I was wearing my new JA jersey during the game :)  Serious man-crush here, so says my wife!

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He deserves all the criticism in the world for that INT. That was a god awful decision and It's not the first time he's done that. 

He does, and it was.

I’m hoping it was just him saying it “eh... F**k it!!!! Preseason!!!!!”

Run game looked solid though, if we can put tonight’s running with last weeks passing, we’ll be very good on offense. 

And honestly i think they'll be doing a lot of throwing from spread and more shotgun. Josh looks way way more comfortable in shotgun. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As an aside, pay attention to what certain writers/commentators say about this game.  If they were paying attention they'll clearly explain what the Bill's offense was trying to do.  But if they have an agenda they talk about Allen's bad throws and how the offense regressed.  The summary's of this game will tell you who the experts really are.

Yes this was apparent after the game when Thad Brown literallly went into Cardiac Arrest on TV discussing the interception and how it’s this major problem now.  This is the same reporter that did not understand what a thrown-away pass even was last year. When scanning media tonight, your point about paying attention really does come through.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

He does, for the INT that was overturned by the penalty;  I agree, fully.  I hope that doesn't continue into the regular season.  It was a bad decision, and hopefully he recognizes what he did and why he shouldn't do it ever again.  But they're going to happen with JA, as I think he's very Favre like, in that he'll take a chance, as he trusts his arm, for good or bad.  We'll see what happens going forward, but I was wearing my new JA jersey during the game :)  Serious man-crush here, so says my wife!

He definitely knows he called himself out on it in an interview on the sideline during the game.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He definitely knows he called himself out on it in an interview on the sideline during the game.

I didn't get to see that, as I'm in Tulsa, but thanks for that info!  He seems like the type that will take responsibility, but hopefully he learns from the mess-ups (and I think he is).

As an aside, this was a blessing for me, getting to see them in prime time, on a national stage!  I, as much as anyone, wanted them to 'unleash the hounds', but we got what we got, a pre-season game where they were working on a specific part of their game.  I didn't get to see the first two, where it sounded like JA and the offense slung the pigskin around.  We got a hard-nosed, pound the rock first-half.  Boring, but they showed our RB's still have legs, both of the old guys :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Yes this was apparent after the game when Thad Brown literallly went into Cardiac Arrest on TV discussing the interception and how it’s this major problem now.  This is the same reporter that did not understand what a thrown-away pass even was last year. When scanning media tonight, your point about paying attention really does come through.

It's really sad isn't it?  I mean these clowns are PAID to do this job and yet a bunch of folks on 2BD will actually have a better take on what the Bills were trying to do on offense tonight then the so called "experts".  And unlike the experts we were drinking while watching!

But Thad Brown is a particularly goofy commentator.  His bias is pretty evident.  To focus on one bad play, that was cancelled out by a penalty, in a meaningless preseason game tells you all you need to know.  Why not highlight Allen's two minute 95 yard TD drive?  Or how about talk about both but keep the "INT" in perspective. 

Living here in Cincinnati they all talk about the Super Bowl game that Montana threw that last second TD to beat the Bengals.  What NO ONE except Cincy fans talk about is that on the play before that Montana threw a terrible pass that should have been intercepted but the INT was dropped by the Bengal player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Also, Zay playing deep into 2nd half... is he a cut candidate if Duke/McKenzie/Foster show better?

I think so.

To expound, I think we have a decent crop of 5-6, where the fifth and six (and maybe 7th) receivers are actually going to have to contribute on ST's.  We, lol, certainly didn't have that problem last year.  And it's a good problem to have, if Zay Jones is not longer being given a spot b/c of his draft-position, but is going to have to step up to make the team!

Edited by TtownBillsFan

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

I have a feeling this offense is going to be a slow start offense most games. But they have potential. I liked that Allen started getting Brown the ball and they led a good TD drive in a 2 minute situation.

But not great. The offensive line HAS to get healthy and stop holding.

Luckily it looks like the defense can hold the team in games.

Daboll said in his presser last week that they do not game plan for preseason, rather they pick areas to work on against live competition...

Missed the game (was on the road), but it sounds like there is more work to do on the things they were working on.

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Daboll said in his presser last week that they do not game plan for preseason, rather they pick areas to work on against live competition...

Missed the game (was on the road), but it sounds like there is more work to do on the things they were working on.

Makes sense that they wanted to work on the run game as it was a holding fest early on, but they definitely started picking up 4-6+ yard chunks as they found their groove. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Also, Zay playing deep into 2nd half... is he a cut candidate if Duke/McKenzie/Foster show better?

I say no way!

We are talking about a 2nd round pick we traded up for, who lead all WRs last year, with a decent year. Worked his butt off in the off-season and was awarded and recognized as hardest worker through training camp. A because of a play here or there... he’s gonna be cut? If he weren’t on a rookie contract, and was $7M against the cap, wasn’t working hard and not a team player. Sure...

If he gets cut that will leave a bad taste in a lot of players mouths...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I like Murphy but unfortunately I can’t see him making this team...

I think someone else picks him up though.. 

I think that is going to happen with several players...its a good sign when you are cutting people that make other rosters...hasnt happened routinely for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

If that's the case, and they were working on the running game, (which is pretty clear from the game) then I think they'll come away thinking they did pretty okay, to be honest.

The first 3.5/10 of the game was running when everyone knew we were running, even after some key 'injuries' or 'hurts' on the starting o-line.  They showed that Shady and Frank still have what made them stars, even when they knew we were doing that.  It wasn't until, like others have said, the last bit of the 2nd qtr when they allowed the O to open up and do their thing, that they showed what they are capable of with a balanced O.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Makes sense that they wanted to work on the run game as it was a holding fest early on, but they definitely started picking up 4-6+ yard chunks as they found their groove. 

Exactly - someone else posted the stats, but pretty sure the top three were at +4.0 YPR

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I like Murphy but unfortunately I can’t see him making this team...

I think someone else picks him up though.. 

There is enough tape on Murphy as a starting RB in the NFL from last year. He was bad and he will be no better than the 4th or 5th RB on a team.  I doubt teams are going to pick him from the waiver unless there are injuries.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I thought they ran the ball well.  What they need to work on is to many holding penalties on the O line. 

On the plus side, they had two red zone rushing TD's and I don't think any run lost yards.  Second & 7 sure beats 2nd & 13!

Don't let the naysayers get you down on Allen.  He was highly restricted as the Bills worked almost exclusively on their running game.  Through their first 6 possessions the Bills DID NOT throw the ball on 1st down.  And they only lined up in the shotgun a couple of times.  They also didn't throw the ball more then 15 yards down the field.

It was only near the end of the half with the Bills backed up against their own end zone that they took the shackles off Allen & the passing game and the result was a 95 yard TD drive to give Buffalo the halftime lead.  In that drive Allen was in the shot gun a lot where he threw two dimes for nice gains to John Brown with BOTH passes coming on 1st down.  Allen also had a nice 10 yard run for a 1st down in which he got out of bounds.  McCoy had a great run out of a shot gun hand off and Singleterry was the beneficiary of a Ford pancake block that sprung him for a 9 yard TD. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh was really, really bad tonight. As good as he was last week, he was equally BAD this week. Let's just call a spade a spade. Yes, he didn't get many opportunities and I don't really care for that approach. There was very little pressure, so let him air it out a little bit and get the bitter taste out of his mouth. But with the opportunities he had, he simply wasn't good. I thought McCoy/Gore/and Singletary all looked good. Singletary's TD was evidence that the nose he had for the EZ  in college will translate well to the show. Beasley obviously had a terrible moment with the fumble. Brown looks very comfortable. Cody Ford looked outstanding. It's really tough to evaluate the receivers based on the game plan; which I just don't understand. It seems as if they've decided they're gonna keep 7 WR's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1