Group Chat: Your takes on the Offense tonight

I have a feeling this offense is going to be a slow start offense most games. But they have potential. I liked that Allen started getting Brown the ball and they led a good TD drive in a 2 minute situation.

But not great. The offensive line HAS to get healthy and stop holding.

Luckily it looks like the defense can hold the team in games.

• Like (+1) 2

It was tough to watch because we all wanted to see a wide open gun slinging Allen tossing the ball to Beasley, Brown, Sweeney & Jones.  Instead we got an incredibly dogmatic game plan that didn't have us pass on 1st down until the last drive of the half.  hell, we hardly were in the shotgun formation the first 28 minutes of the half. 

On a night in which the Bills were featured on national TV we all desperately wanted the nation to see how much better our offense, especially our passing offense, was.  We wanted them to see the Josh Allen of the last 6 games last year and form this years TC and 1st 2 preseason games.  We wanted them to see our two new WR's running free.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead it was BORING.  Run, run and then pass.  And no pass over 15 yards.  So now the Allen haters and Bills doubters can get on the radio, their pod casts or TV and trash Allen & the Bills.  Certain writers are just licking their chops to take shots at the Bills.

But thank goodness the coaches didn't care about winning a meaningless game.  And for damn sure they cared even less about what the "experts" might say.  They wanted to work on the run game and damn it that's what they did.  They needed to get the blocking assignments down and the timing between Allen and the RB's down.  They wanted to work on both the linemen and Allen making audibles to set the blocking scheme pre-snap.  And my sense is that they got done what they wanted to get done.

But we saw a glimpse of what this offense can do when the hand cuffs were taken off.  In the last 2 minutes Dabold let them go for it and did they ever.  Throwing on fist down and executing some clever running plays the Bills drove 95 yards to score a TD and take the lead.  Overall I'm happy with the outcome.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

ive been pretty down on mccoy and still am to an extent but on that direct hand off he looked fast as hell... must of been some kind of optical illusion.  

when singletary ran the td in i thought it was gore at first. 

1st team O having serious flashbacks to last year (first half of the year)

What? Lol! No, McCoy is fast. There's been zero evidence of him slowing down. Just a bunch of fans looking at his age and nothing else.

Go watch highlights of McCoy from last year. He looks awesome. Quick, elusive, and fast. His bad year was strictly due to the oline and WR's failures to block.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

As an aside, pay attention to what certain writers/commentators say about this game.  If they were paying attention they'll clearly explain what the Bill's offense was trying to do.  But if they have an agenda they talk about Allen's bad throws and how the offense regressed.  The summary's of this game will tell you who the experts really are.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was tough to watch because we all wanted to see a wide open gun slinging Allen tossing the ball to Beasley, Brown, Sweeney & Jones.  Instead we got an incredibly dogmatic game plan that didn't have us pass on 1st down until the last drive of the half.  hell, we hardly were in the shotgun formation the first 28 minutes of the half. 

On a night in which the Bills were featured on national TV we all desperately wanted the nation to see how much better our offense, especially our passing offense, was. ...

Why would we want to show that to everyone? Seems like a perfect time to hide that from the rest of the league, particularly the Jets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

On a night in which the Bills were featured on national TV we all desperately wanted the nation to see how much better our offense, especially our passing offense, was.  We wanted them to see the Josh Allen of the last 6 games last year and form this years TC and 1st 2 preseason games.  We wanted them to see our two new WR's running free.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead it was BORING.  Run, run and then pass.  And no pass over 15 yards.  So now the Allen haters and Bills doubters can get on the radio, their pod casts or TV and trash Allen & the Bills.  Certain writers are just licking their chops to take shots at the Bills.

But thank goodness the coaches didn't care about winning a meaningless game.  And for damn sure they cared even less about what the "experts" might say.  They wanted to work on the run game and damn it that's what they did.  They needed to get the blocking assignments down and the timing between Allen and the RB's down.  They wanted to work on both the linemen and Allen making audibles to set the blocking scheme pre-snap.  And my sense is that they got done what they wanted to get done.

But we saw a glimpse of what this offense can do when the hand cuffs were taken off.  In the last 2 minutes Dabold let them go for it and did they ever.  Throwing on fist down and executing some clever running plays the Bills drove 95 yards to score a TD and take the lead.  Overall I'm happy with the outcome.

I agree for the most part but thinking about it I'm still a little annoyed. The run game doesn't exist in a vacuum what were testing out the clock killing scheme? Passing plays into the run game just like running plays into passing doing just running just tells you what happens when you become completely one-dimensional. It also didn't help that the script on stopping Allen is to force him to pass so it was a little like we were running repeatedly into a brick wall.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would we want to show that to everyone? Seems like a perfect time to hide that from the rest of the league, particularly the Jets.

Coaches wouldn't fans would.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

You're speaking with your head and not with your heart and I agree 100% with you.  It took me 3 series to realize what the Bills were doing (partly due to beer and partly due to my high expectations & wishful thinking). 

But at the same time a lot of us were hoping for Allen to light it up especially with our new TE & WR's.  Unfortunately we still care way to much what the outsiders say about the Bills.  Lucky for us the coaches don't give a crap and they did what they needed to do tonight to get this team ready for the opening game.  This is why I'm actually more confident after this game about the Bills season then I was before.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Twitter was blowing up about NFL trade winds blowing hard. Rumor was a shocking WR is available. Speculation is Mike Evans or AJ Green. Brown and Beasley are very nice complimentary pieces, but Josh and this offense desperately need a go to WR.  

Id be willing to give up a 1 for Mike Evans.  No hesitation. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I agree for the most part but thinking about it I'm still a little annoyed. The run game doesn't exist in a vacuum what were testing out the clock killing scheme? Passing plays into the run game just like running plays into passing doing just running just tells you what happens when you become completely one-dimensional. It also didn't help that the script on stopping Allen is to force him to pass so it was a little like we were running repeatedly into a brick wall.

I think they treated it as a practice in which you keep rerunning a play until you get it right.  The coaches didn't care whether Detroit knew we were running the ball.  They wanted to see that the right pre-snap adjustments were made at the line and that the blocking was sound.  I suspect the only reason they even threw the ball on 3rd & long was the desire to get a 1st down so they could run the ball a couple more times.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

What? Lol! No, McCoy is fast. There's been zero evidence of him slowing down. Just a bunch of fans looking at his age and nothing else.

Go watch highlights of McCoy from last year. He looks awesome. Quick, elusive, and fast. His bad year was strictly due to the oline and WR's failures to block.

i watched every game last year...at times he looked slow to me.  even when he had space.  your right about the blocking being atrocious last year though.  

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of hard to assess first team they were clearly working something with the run game.

This was my thought exactly.  Running on 1, 2, and then hoping for a 1st on 3rd down, hopefully that's not the plan series in and out throughout the season.  It seemed they were making sure they could pound the ball when need be.  And I don't recall any called QB scrambles (thankfully - and hopefully those are extremely few and far between in season).  I think they just wanted to show we have a deep backfield, and see what the O-line could do put behind the 8-ball.

Once the 2nd stringers came in, I felt like they threw the ball more, and it seemed they mixed it up on 1st/2nd down more (someone will compile the number of run/pass/down, and see if what I saw jibes).  I will say, though, it seems we have a viable backup if(if) that's needed at some point this season.  Nice to have that safety blanket.

But it seemed tonight, for the 1's, was all about making sure they COULD run when they had to.  And we were in bad field position all night, due to a bad drop by Beasley (not going to happen often), and some poor special teams play.  We almost got into another bad field-position situation b/c of a JA turnover that should have been, and I hope he doesn't repeat that often.  But it's hard to gauge the overall performance of the 1's, given they were clearly going run-heavy.  And going run heavy, when they had a couple 'injuries' along the line early.

But, what do I know, I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to our team :P

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He deserves all the criticism in the world for that INT. That was a god awful decision and It's not the first time he's done that. 

Maybe not ALL the criticism in the world. That's an awful lot. But yes, it was a very bad decision.

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

i watched every game last year...at times he looked slow to me.  even when he had space.  your right about the blocking being atrocious last year though.  

He didn't look different to me. But I know many claim he did. But, when it comes down to it, I have to trust my own eyes.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

He deserves all the criticism in the world for that INT. That was a god awful decision and It's not the first time he's done that. 

I don't get focusing on one bad play in a meaningless preseason game.  Sure it was a horrible decision and throw.  But in his sideline interview Allen explicitly owned up to it.   IMO it was good that Allen was reminded of what he shouldn't do under game conditions.  And for the record he's going to do it at least once in the regular season.  It's in his competitive DNA.

But if you're going to call out that one bad pass how about Allen's fantastic 2 minute drive.  That was a big time drive at the end of the half. 

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

When you can run the ball, when they think you're going to run the ball, you're in a great position.  But I'm pretty sure you know that already.

4 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

This was my thought exactly.  Running on 1, 2, and then hoping for a 1st on 3rd down, hopefully that's not the plan series in and out throughout the season.  It seemed they were making sure they could pound the ball when need be.  And I don't recall any called QB scrambles (thankfully - and hopefully those are extremely few and far between in season).  I think they just wanted to show we have a deep backfield, and see what the O-line could do put behind the 8-ball.

Once the 2nd stringers came in, I felt like they threw the ball more, and it seemed they mixed it up on 1st/2nd down more (someone will compile the number of run/pass/down, and see if what I saw jibes).  I will say, though, it seems we have a viable backup if(if) that's needed at some point this season.  Nice to have that safety blanket.

But it seemed tonight, for the 1's, was all about making sure they COULD run when they had to.  And we were in bad field position all night, due to a bad drop by Beasley (not going to happen often), and some poor special teams play.  We almost got into another bad field-position situation b/c of a JA turnover that should have been, and I hope he doesn't repeat that often.  But it's hard to gauge the overall performance of the 1's, given they were clearly going run-heavy.  And going run heavy, when they had a couple 'injuries' along the line early.

But, what do I know, I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to our team :P

Barkley attempted 13 passes in the 3rd quarter alone compared to Allen attempting only 6 passes in the entire first half.

The coaches used each half to work on two very different offensive things. 

• Thank you (+1) 1