Ruth Bader Ginsberg has pancreatic cancer

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree. While many have said the Dems were keeping her “on ice” until after the election I’m thinking they wised up and “killed her off” early. 😉

there is the thinking that she has been dead for sometime and the hidden hand was waiting for the right time to unveil it.

is this meant to be the distraction from Durham's reveal this week? or, another gambit to get Trump?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ask yourself what Schumer would do if the Democrats held the Senate and there was a Democratic President. Think he'd say, "Let's wait!" If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Republicans keep playing by one set of rules, and the Democrats play by another set of rules, and pretty soon you have riots in the streets, mass election cheating, and... oh.

Another thought along these lines..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think the high ground is an important place to start. However the left has made it clear they will do everything in their power to destroy anyone who disagrees with them. The people and cities they've destroyed over the past four years is undeniable...all in the name of gaining power. They've played dirty from the moment Trump was elected. They would NEVER afford anyone the high ground. Ever.

Take the medium ground; praise RBG, nominate her replacement with a conservative female and do everything you can to get her on the bench. Especially because it's clear Roberts is no longer a reliable right-leaning judge.

You don't let moments like this go by for the sake of being a nice guy.

Just my cents.

Thank you and this is where I am.  If all parties worked to the same set of rules, I might say delay the nomination.  However, look at what the libs will do to get and hold power.  Was the Kavanaugh character assassination required or legit?  The fake impeachment?  The reps lying to the public when the testimony they took shows the opposite?  A coup by the FBI/CIA on a candidate/President?  Quietly backing riots and calling them peaceful protests?  The list is longer than I care to write.

Trump should push this through and not wait.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed." https://t.co/XLzhPiLSng

"New president" "installed."

That's why I won't mourn her death. She was evil.

I don’t think we can discount the possibility that RBG never even actually said this. The Ds have long shown that damaging the current administration is a much higher priority than being the tellers of truths.

And Graham is apparently on board with a replacement:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Considering how many Catholics are currently on the Supreme Court, that would really be something.

Kamala Harris has been very clear; Catholics have no place in any court. This should surprise no one given the amount of money she receives from PP. 

At least she is clear, unlike Biden, who claims to be a Catholic but fully supports late-term abortions.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Ask yourself why would America have to wait four and a half years to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court? 0:)

2 hours ago, GG said:

No reason for the nomination to wait.   Confirmation can be held after the election.  

This is the way to go. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

So, I will not go into this not being "her" seat, it is the people's seat. I want to dwell on the statement, supposedly from Ruth Ginsberg,  released by her granddaughter. I decided to look up the granddaughter. Clara Spera has ties to Lawfare and Brookings Institute. <_<  Infer from that what you will.

I’ll be kind and will try to think that Ms. Spera took license with the verbiage. Presidents aren’t “installed,” they’re voted into office. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

My question(s)...was her decision to hold on purely political, was her statement about waiting on her successor unnecessarily incendiary and finally, why on earth would any president pass up the opportunity to nominate their choice for justice regardless of timing?  DJT was elected for a reason, and the SC was a big part of that reason.  

Good afternoon leh-nerd.  Thank you for your comments and questions.  I'll offer my perspective on them.

Firstly, it's hard to say what was going on in her head, but if I had to guess I don't think she was playing politics as much as she felt like she was doing the morally "right" thing.  I think she felt like her being on the Court was a net positive influence on the well-being of the country's citizenry.  I've had the chance to read some of her opinions this semester and she was simply an excellent and talented jurist.  

Secondly, I took her statement about a successor to be a piggyback on my earlier statement:  waiting until after the election is, in her opinion, the morally "right" thing to do and best for the country as a whole.  

Finally, I think there was traditionally something to be said for decorum in politics.  I know that's hard to believe considering how the last 20-30 years have transpired politically, but politics wasn't as cutthroat and divisive as it is today.  I think Trump could make a pivotal statement for the election by promising not to nominate a judge until after the election.  That way he could put his money where his mouth is.  If he gets re-elected and the Senate holds its majority, then they still get their pick anyway AND get to hold the moral high ground.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

THOUGHTS ON THE PASSING OF RUTH BADER GINSBURG

by Paul Mirengoff

President Trump got it right last night when he called the late Justice Ginsburg an amazing woman with an amazing life. She is the foremost female the American legal profession has produced to date, and it’s unlikely that she will be surpassed any time soon.

Ginsburg was fierce partisan and liberal ideologue. Yet, she is said to have forged and maintained a strong friendship with the late Justice Scalia. This speaks to the grace and character of both jurists.

I don’t know how Ginsburg’s passing and the ensuing battle to replace her will effect the election. My sense is that it will have little direct impact on the presidential election, where the battle lines are set.

The future of the Supreme Court is a big deal, of course. Indeed, there is no issue in the presidential race that is more important. But both sides are about equally passionate on the matter, it seems to me.

If there is an impact on the presidential election, it might come if/when the Supreme Court decides the outcome. Things were setting up for a 5-4 decision, with Chief Justice Roberts as the swing vote.

Now, the alignment might end up being 4-3-1 (with conservatives in the plurality). If so, Roberts would still be the key vote. He could join the strong conservatives in a 5-3 majority or join the liberals, making the vote 4-4. A tie would mean leaving in place whatever decision was reached below. Would Roberts want a president to take office by virtue of a deadlocked Supreme Court and a lower court ruling?

I should emphasize, however, that facts will matter if the case is before the Supreme Court. Both sides will probably need a decent case for the potential deadlock I have suggested to occur.

If there is a direct electoral effect from Ginsburg’s passing, it might occur in tight Senate races involving endangered incumbents like Susan Collins, Thom Tillis, and Cory Gardner. That effect could vary from race to race, and will depend, in part, on what the candidates say and/or promise regarding filling the vacancy.

As for having a vote before Election Day, that seems unlikely to me for logistical and political reasons. The calendar, in the context of an election, seems highly problematic.

Confirmation before the election would be, as well. Sens. Collins, Murkowski, and Romney seem certain not to vote for confirming a Justice pre-election. Embattled incumbents might think they would be giving their job away by voting to confirm a strong, controversial conservative.

As for confirming a nominee if Trump loses, I think that’s unlikely too. Again, three no votes seem cast in stone. Good luck herding the remaining 50 GOP Senators, including lame ducks, into the fold.

Confirmation of a Justice by a lame duck Senate would increase the likelihood that Democrats will succeed in packing the Court at the first available opportunity. This, too, might deter a few Republican Senators.

As for whom Trump will nominate, I expect him to pick the person he concludes will maximize his reelection chances — maybe Judge Amy Barrett who might galvanize conservatives and evangelicals. This seems especially true if he believes the likelihood of confirming anyone he nominates is low, in the event Biden wins.

More at the link

"packing the court"- is such a copout to not push to fill the seat

after trying to execute a coup- who in their right minds doesn ot thing the D's will pack the court at the next avaialble opportunity

8 minutes ago, spartacus said:

"packing the court"- is such a copout to not push to fill the seat

after trying to execute a coup- who in their right minds doesn ot thing the D's will pack the court at the next avaialble opportunity

When a Democrat is telling you to take the moral highground, they are asking you to make a tactical mistake for the applause of the corrupt media that is, of course, a reliably leftist megaphone. When you go high, they go low. When you play smart, they go lower. When they go really low, they call it high, because the left has its own sharia law where evil is okay if it results in liberal power.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

When a Democrat is telling you to take the moral highground, they are asking you to make a tactical mistake for the applause of the corrupt media that is, of course, a reliably leftist megaphone. When you go high, they go low. When you play smart, they go lower. When they go really low, they call it high, because the left has its own sharia law where evil is okay if it results in liberal power.

None of this applies to me and I'm about as left as they come.  Don't paint with such broad brushstrokes.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You guys regretting the nuclear option yet?

It's hilarious to watch the left get hoisted by their own petard over and over again. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

As a staunch conservative let me go on record by saying that RBG’s replacement should wait until after the election. However, I believe it’s important that BOTH Trump and Biden put forth their top three potential candidates within the next two weeks. 

Understandable and even commendable. But honest question, if the left were in the position Trump is today, do you think they would hesitate or ram someone through? This is the party that wants power at any cost. If you want to beat them, you have to FIGHT them on their terms. That means doing things like this. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ask yourself what Schumer would do if the Democrats held the Senate and there was a Democratic President. Think he'd say, "Let's wait!" If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Republicans keep playing by one set of rules, and the Democrats play by another set of rules, and pretty soon you have riots in the streets, mass election cheating, and... oh.

Beat me to it. :beer: 

13 minutes ago, Capco said:

None of this applies to me and I'm about as left as they come.  Don't paint with such broad brushstrokes.  

But it does apply to the political class of your chosen party. They're the ones who count since they're the ones making the call, no? 

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

Unless the Senate flips in early November.

That's not possible now with this news. RBG's death tilts the Senate races that might have gone blue back into firm red territory.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Capco said:

Good afternoon leh-nerd.  Thank you for your comments and questions.  I'll offer my perspective on them.

Firstly, it's hard to say what was going on in her head, but if I had to guess I don't think she was playing politics as much as she felt like she was doing the morally "right" thing.  I think she felt like her being on the Court was a net positive influence on the well-being of the country's citizenry.  I've had the chance to read some of her opinions this semester and she was simply an excellent and talented jurist.  

Secondly, I took her statement about a successor to be a piggyback on my earlier statement:  waiting until after the election is, in her opinion, the morally "right" thing to do and best for the country as a whole.  

Finally, I think there was traditionally something to be said for decorum in politics.  I know that's hard to believe considering how the last 20-30 years have transpired politically, but politics wasn't as cutthroat and divisive as it is today.  I think Trump could make a pivotal statement for the election by promising not to nominate a judge until after the election.  That way he could put his money where his mouth is.  If he gets re-elected and the Senate holds its majority, then they still get their pick anyway AND get to hold the moral high ground.  

the moral high ground? 😄

she expired on Trump's watch, it is his solemn duty to nominate a replacement.

• Like (+1) 1