Pre season games are going nowhere.

The only reason preseason games even exist is to gouge fans. Players can easily be evaluated before cuts from camp practices. Watching that 80 yard field in Winnipeg was embarrassing. For Gods sake just drop preseason to 2 games and schedule more scrimmages. More and more coaches will do what McVey does.

I've had this idea for a few years - 

Cut pre season to 3 games. Game 1 would be as normal, game 2 would be the "dress rehearsal" and game 3 would be the all backup and bubble guys (as the 4th pre season game is now). Then after game 3, every team has 2 full weeks to the start of the season

Expand the regular season to 17 games. This keeps all 20 games while shortening pre season and only adding 1 regular season game. Add 2 teams from each conference to the playoffs for a total of 14 teams. 

Benefits of this : less injuries from a shortened pre season. More revenue due to 17th game and 2 more teams in playoffs. Happier players because they will recieve more pay from added game and its the same amount of games as before (including pre season) 

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t recall that at all! Just for one year? That was the year we moved from Hilton Head , SC to Sarasota, FL in August, so I may have let a lot slide by that season. 

I am a repository of useless information. You had a good reason to be distracted that year. 

This may back fire for some players as well.... I think the league just needs to rethink the preseason process. Maybe 2 games, 2 weeks apart, with joint practices in between. Holding possibly mini scrimmages on a day 3 of joint practices....

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really getting sick of the "these are meaningless games" takes.  Idk...its just an annoying collective mindset you see across the interwebs by people that cover the games and treating them like your about to walk thru no man's land. 

Put everyone in bubble wrap!!!  Hide yo kids!!!!  They're about to play a preseason game!!!

Don't misunderstand.  I don't want the starters playing against backups or playing 3 quarters in the 1st preseason game---I like how they do it currently building them up and getting that dress rehearsal in game 3.  

But these games are not meaningless.  How is it any more meaningless than say tearing your knee up doing drills over the summer that are designed to get you ready for these games?   Were those cone drills meaningless?  

Or just getting hurt at practice?   So is a practice important but the actual game situation against another team meaningless?  Let's just skip preseason practice and just go right to games then.

/Rant

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OK. Delete preseason and make a 18 game regular season. Works from a revenue perspective.

Clubs will have to arrange their own August joint practices and scrimmages.

But what happens if you're the loser kid on the block and no one wants to play with you? You're screwed.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes, of course.

But there have been some ideas talked about for replacing the lost revenue, like extra playoff games resulting from extra teams qualifying for the playoffs, etc.

Many roads lead to Rome and if coaches across the league start sitting starters for most or all pre-season games, I do believe we will see some change on this front. 

How extensive that change is and when it arrives both remain to be determined.

Extra playoffs, which im in favor of,  doesnt cover all the teams. Preseason game revenue doesnt have to be shared so the owners want to keep that money even if its not as much as regular season and tv money.

10 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

greedy bastards make enough money. lets just keep seeing key players/starters getting injured in these meaningless games. it's ridiculous

No more ridiculous than it has ever been, players have played these games since the beginning so not a big deal. Owners are greedy so the games are staying.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It will happen if the players benefit financially, the NFLPA gets more roster spots (dues paying union members), and the owners get more revenue ( increased tv contracts and stadium revenue from the two increased regular season games).  Unbridled greed will drive all of the parties to make the change.  The NFL is all about the money.

Let the greed begin! The faster they get to two games the better. I dont think they will do away with it altogether nor should they as i think it takes a couple games to get everything in sync, not just the players.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think an 18 game season will happen. With a roster increase to maybe 56 or something like that, a minimum guarantee % on contracts and a second bye week. So a 20 week regular season and teams have 2 byes. Might not quite get there on this next CBA but its coming. 

definitely should be a lager roster AND it should be fully utilized not this cut down to 45 crap on game day. I want a 60 man roster to cover for injuries.

also do not want none this nonsense about players can only play in 16 of the 18 games. Whoever came up with that is a moron.

7 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

All the things I want changed, the NFL won't do. So he's my list anyway.

•Make it two preseason games and have two scrimmages as well. That is plenty to know who makes the roster.

•Get rid of Thursday night football. They are diluting the product. That includes the opening season kickoff game. Keep it Sundays and Monday night only.

•Get rid of the Hall of Fame game. It blows!!

•Keep it at 16 games

•Wish the league would have the Superbowl the following week after the AFC and NFC Championship Games. I don't like the extra week wait but I know they throw the PRO BOWL in between it. Whatever!

Thanks for listening. GO BILLS!!

on that subject i want the kicking game eliminated entirely, but thats a whole nother thread.

1 hour ago, boater said:

OK. Delete preseason and make a 18 game regular season. Works from a revenue perspective.

Clubs will have to arrange their own August joint practices and scrimmages.

But what happens if you're the loser kid on the block and no one wants to play with you? You're screwed.

There will always be scrimmage partners and if not no big deal. the teams know who they are going to keep and two games could do that just as well.

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

Every summer i say the same thing.  Eventually the NFL "preseason" will be 2 regular games instead of 4, and the rest of the work will be joint practices and/or scrimmages against other clubs at training camps.  This will provide enough work for draft picks, UDFA's, etc.. to audition for jobs and prove themselves.  

I think it would be a mistake. Players need live game prep before the season.

Just watch the quality of football in the 1st couple weeks of this season after so many players didn’t play.