Pre season games are going nowhere.

With teams  resting starters there is talking of doing away with the pre season since coaches and players dont want to do it anymore.

However until the revenue from those games is replaced its not going to happen.

The owners now the players over a barrel in that they really dont want to play in the preseason, therefore the owners will get their 18 game schedule , as eventually the players will cave to it if they want those two preseason games gone.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

With teams  resting starters there is talking of doing away with the pre season since coaches and players dont want to do it anymore.

The owners now the players over a barrel in that they really dont want to play in the preseason, therefore the owners will get their 18 game schedule , as eventually the players will cave to it if they want those two preseason games gone.

DUH! That’s exactly what’s going to change!

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Or...starters will just sit out the preseason games. 

Check. Mate.

Every summer i say the same thing.  Eventually the NFL "preseason" will be 2 regular games instead of 4, and the rest of the work will be joint practices and/or scrimmages against other clubs at training camps.  This will provide enough work for draft picks, UDFA's, etc.. to audition for jobs and prove themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes, of course.

But there have been some ideas talked about for replacing the lost revenue, like extra playoff games resulting from extra teams qualifying for the playoffs, etc.

Many roads lead to Rome and if coaches across the league start sitting starters for most or all pre-season games, I do believe we will see some change on this front. 

How extensive that change is and when it arrives both remain to be determined.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

greedy bastards make enough money. lets just keep seeing key players/starters getting injured in these meaningless games. it's ridiculous

I've had fun watching them. The only game I have problems with is the hall of fame game and the 4th preseason games. The hall of fame game should just be removed. The 4th preseason game should be changed to something else or just be removed.

Those two games are jokes. The others have been interesting, regardless of starters playing or not.

But honestly, I don't care that much.

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Every summer i say the same thing.  Eventually the NFL "preseason" will be 2 regular games instead of 4, and the rest of the work will be joint practices and/or scrimmages against other clubs at training camps.  This will provide enough work for draft picks, UDFA's, etc.. to audition for jobs and prove themselves.  

It will happen if the players benefit financially, the NFLPA gets more roster spots (dues paying union members), and the owners get more revenue ( increased tv contracts and stadium revenue from the two increased regular season games).  Unbridled greed will drive all of the parties to make the change.  The NFL is all about the money.

22 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It will happen if the players benefit financially, the NFLPA gets more roster spots (dues paying union members), and the owners get more revenue ( increased tv contracts and stadium revenue from the two increased regular season games).  Unbridled greed will drive all of the parties to make the change.  The NFL is all about the money.

All about money?? The illusion of a pure sport is gone <shattering glass>

4 games is the length of 25% of the season. Most in all of sports.

2 games would be enough plus a 17-18 game season.

If I'm a coach I'd let my starters play the first half of the first game to get them a little live game action in before the real thing. The second half would be the backups and bubble players.

The second game would be bubble players and practice squad candidates.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yes and no.  There are problems with pre-season. But, it is incredibly important for roster battles and for guys trying to get tape out there that won't make the team.  The NFL does not have a minor league. There are very few opportunities for these guys to get their names out there and show the league (not just an individual team) that they can play/are alot better since College. 

The system is fine.  Sure, 25% of the season is long, but the starters play so little, it is the equivalent of a typical preseason for them.  I think it is a good alternative to a minor league nfl.