Josh Allen starting to prove doubters and haters wrong (BR article)

Logic

Only thing I disagree with in the article is that Allen was “comedically bad” during his first few starts.   While he was never effective, he looked very similar to where many raw rookie QB’s when start before they are ready.  Also when he returned from injury, I would argue that he was more than “marginally” better.  There was a big improvement 

15 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Only thing I disagree with in the article is that Allen was “comedically bad” during his first few starts.   While he was never effective, he looked very similar to where many raw rookie QB’s when start before they are ready.  Also when he returned from injury, I would argue that he was more than “marginally” better.  There was a big improvement 

Yeah, if you want "comedically bad," Tyree Jackson's preseason performances have been close, but Josh Allen was playing well enough to contribute to some wins last year.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

There are still plenty of Josh Allen doubters and haters out there - fans and media (Bill Barnwell cough cough).  It's going to take some solid proof to finally put them to rest.

Bill Barnwell writes the driest articles and states bull#### premises like there is no such thing as momentum in sports. That premise is supported by no one that has ever played competitive sports at a decent level.  Momentum is one of the realest things in sports, e.g., watch any basketball game or the Bills Oilers playoff game. He lost me when I read that article years ago and I haven’t been able to  do more than skim his meandering articles since. Stats should support the context of the situation and are not that useful to drive the analysis.  Stats have usefulness, but they are not great predictors in football because of the massive amounts of nonquantifiable factors (coaching, game planning, play calling, missed assignments, etc.). 

• Like (+1) 1

Consistency is the asset that Allen is lacking, as well as accuracy. Pretty deadly things to be lacking as an NFL "franchise" QB. I'm not sold that this guy will ever take us to the promised land. Yes, he still doesn't have the greatest receivers, but I see Barkley hitting his targets consistently. Allen is still a 50-50 proposition for hitting a receiver. 

2 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

Consistency is the asset that Allen is lacking, as well as accuracy. Pretty deadly things to be lacking as an NFL "franchise" QB. I'm not sold that this guy will ever take us to the promised land. Yes, he still doesn't have the greatest receivers, but I see Barkley hitting his targets consistently. Allen is still a 50-50 proposition for hitting a receiver. 

not seeing the accuracy problems that many spoke of. Are you watching or reading? What I am seeing is occasional lapses in decision making due to his gifted arm. Am ok with it. Josh will always throw more picks than Tyrod Taylor would have. We need to accept that and understand that the rewards are still much greater with his play style and ability.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

You realize that Allen is completing 64% of his passes in preseason and averaging 7.8 yds/att....that is an improvement. He still a young QB with what 11 starts. Going to make mistakes and have ups and downs. And, as to Barkley, his numbers would drop markedly if he were starting these games against the other teams better defenders.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You realize that Allen is completing 64% of his passes in preseason and averaging 7.8 yds/att....that is an improvement. He still a young QB with what 11 starts. Going to make mistakes and have ups and downs. And, as to Barkley, his numbers would drop markedly if he were starting these games against the other teams better defenders.

That and if they'd just had him pass two more times he could of been 60+% this game too.

5 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

It's dink and dunk passing so far. The nicest pass he's had was the sideline pass to Sweeney for 20+ yards. Otherwise, they're mostly 5 yard crosses to Beasley. Very conservative. I hope that's the issue. If the coaching staff is playing vanilla, working on timing, that's fine. You have Brown, you have Foster, you have a live-arm QB. Looking forward to Allen's arm being turned loose, to use this great speed. 

Edited by buffaloaggie

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If Allen is "starting" to prove the doubters wrong, could you ask him to speed that process up? I'm tired of waiting for this team to finally competitive again instead of the NFL's punching bag.

I think last night's performance shows this will still be a growth season for the project QB.  Not sure there will be a rush to MVP status like Mahomes.