Josh Allen starting to prove doubters and haters wrong (BR article)

Logic

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think a lot of folks would argue the post you quoted.

I do think, however, that it's important to point out that Allen wasn't exactly all-time-bad last year as a rookie.  As I've mentioned on this board several times, he was clearly better as a rookie than guys like Goff and Trubisky, despite playing with a supporting cast that was at least as bad as theirs.

Now, it remains to be seen if the offseason improvements that Buffalo made to their offense are as good as those made by LAR and Chicago leading up to Goff/Trubisky's 2nd seasons, but if they are, then yes, we should all expect similar improvements.

For context, between years 1 and 2:

LA added: Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Reynolds, Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe, Everett, Higbee, and McVay as HC

Chicago added: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton, Daniels, and Nagy as HC

Buffalo added: Brown, Beasley, Roberts, Kroft, Knox, Sweeney, Nsekhe, Spain, Morse, Ford, and Feliciano

Good post and I agree.  I am in the minority and I hope I’m wrong but I have some major concerns with Daboll.  With Goff and Mitch T, they received coaches who have had proven success with good nfl offenses.  Daboll has never had that. 

42 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

never said that. I said it would be tough. save the apologies.  

anyone claiming the jets can be equal or better loses all credibility with me. that's easy to do though, coming from you.

891ec794661648e786c3cd12fc59f064.jpg?w=5

You really think it is crazy to think the Jets could be equal or better than the Bills?  Honestly, that’s kinda crazy.  They are eerily similar teams with 2nd year qbs. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post and I agree.  I am in the minority and I hope I’m wrong but I have some major concerns with Daboll.  With Goff and Mitch T, they received coaches who have had proven success with good nfl offenses.  Daboll has never had that. 

I'm 50/50 on Daboll.  His scheme and play design looked really good to me for the most part.  His game plan and in-game play calls, however, definitely need to improve.

I wonder how much impact that had on Allen's development, and--on the flip side--how much Allen's inexperience impacted Daboll's ability to call plays.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with the moneyball/advanced metrics people like PFF is they aren't actual athletes and don't understand the concept of potential and work ethic. For them, future performance will always be tied to history, which is ridiculous. This is what happens when nerds are allowed to run amok.

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

that's not correct. they hate him because they said his college numbers said he couldn't work. the truth is they are terrible analysts who don't know how to properly interpret data and Allen reveals this.

This is lazy.  In today’s football, 56% is college is below average.  56% in the MWC, where he didn’t make an of the All MWC, is pretty bad for a top 10 qb.  A top 10 qb should dominate the MWC.

Allen has all the tools to be a star.  But to pretend like there aren’t some red flags is hiding your head in the sand. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You really think it is crazy to think the Jets could be equal or better than the Bills?  Honestly, that’s kinda crazy.  They are eerily similar teams with 2nd year qbs. 

call me crazy. we'll see after week one who the crazy one is, wont we.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

The problem with the moneyball/advanced metrics people like PFF is they aren't actual athletes and don't understand the concept of potential and work ethic. For them, future performance will always be tied to history, which is ridiculous. This is what happens when nerds are allowed to run amok.

If you’re a top 10 pick as qb playing in a small conference, you should dominate it.  Romo did it. Jimmy G did it. Wentz won national championships.  Allen didn’t make first or second time MWC his last year in college.  

So  I don’t think it’s really a stretch to think that a guy who couldn’t dominate the MWC might not be able to dominate the NFL.  If Allen succeeds, he is the exception to the rule.  But again if Allen was picked by another team, we would be laughing at them.  But he’s ours now. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If you’re a top 10 pick as qb playing in a small conference, you should dominate it.  Romo did it. Jimmy G did it. Wentz won national championships.  Allen didn’t make first or second time MWC his last year in college.  

So  I don’t think it’s really a stretch to think that a guy who couldn’t dominate the MWC might not be able to dominate the NFL.  If Allen succeeds, he is the exception to the rule.  But again if Allen was picked by another team, we would be laughing at them.  But he’s ours now. 

maybe the average fan.... I have plenty of knowledgeable friends that are fans of other winning franchises that have commented on how promising he looks.  

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm 50/50 on Daboll.  His scheme and play design looked really good to me for the most part.  His game plan and in-game play calls, however, definitely need to improve.

I wonder how much impact that had on Allen's development, and--on the flip side--how much Allen's inexperience impacted Daboll's ability to call plays.

Agreed.  To put it mildly, he has been awful as a NFL OC.  At the same time, 2 of the best coaches ever hired him.  Flip side, any poster could have been successful in those roles.  

Imo, much like when we hired Dennison, I worry about forcing a qb into an offense that doesn’t fit him.  I feel like we are making Allen be like Brady when he should be playing more like Cam Newton or Russell Wilson.  

25 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

CDqD1KV.jpg

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe you would, but I wouldn't be.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is lazy.  In today’s football, 56% is college is below average.  56% in the MWC, where he didn’t make an of the All MWC, is pretty bad for a top 10 qb.  A top 10 qb should dominate the MWC.

Allen has all the tools to be a star.  But to pretend like there aren’t some red flags is hiding your head in the sand. 

No. You are confused about statistics, as if such an analysis is simple. It is not. There are many confounding variables present. How do you figure for those? It takes a much deeper analysis (edit: If it is even possible with the info we have available) 

IMO it is those who use stats to prove things incorrectly who are lazy. These numbers do not mean what you say they mean. Do an actual, sound analysis. 

Edited by dickleyjones
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He looks like a totally different quarteback from his first preseasn game against the Bengals! Nobody is talking about him or The Bills in the mainstream sports media like they've never done. Darnold and Mayfield have a lot more pressure on them. If the Bills come out hitting the Jets and the Giants in the mouth the first two game he'll starting get some love.

Not a hater or doubter but, when I heard his name called for our draft pick, my initial reaction was "WTH?!". Having said this, I like the progress Iv'e seen in Josh and his attitude. I don't wish for injuries, but the injury he suffered may have been a blessing in disguise. He was able to sit back and take stock in what he WAS seeing out on the field and see it from a different point of view. The game did seem to slow down for him when he returned. Having a full off-season to get stronger and work on his mechanics alone should help. Having what seems to be an improved cast around him should also help. I think it was between us and the Cards as to who had the worst cast on offense, from O-line to WR and TE. I think we are head and shoulders better than last year as far as offensive personnel. I think it's more fair to judge his performance this year. It still might take a few games though. A new o-line, new WRs and TEs. Once we start gelling, I think we'll be a team to reckon with.

Edited by Dopey

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If the Dolphins drafted Allen and he scored 5 TDs against us I wouldn't be laughing.

I also dont know where he is getting this "we" from in the post, when we know he would be defending Allen if he were drafted by Miami and that would be his main argument

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the Dolphins drafted Allen and he scored 5 TDs against us I wouldn't be laughing.

We would have fired all our coaches though. 

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I also dont know where he is getting this "we" from in the post, when we know he would be defending Allen if he were drafted by Miami and that would be his main argument

Sure dude.  Sorry, I’m not a fake person.  Wasn’t an Allen fan before the draft.  Love his attitude now but he still terrifies me.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  To put it mildly, he has been awful as a NFL OC.  At the same time, 2 of the best coaches ever hired him.  Flip side, any poster could have been successful in those roles.  

Imo, much like when we hired Dennison, I worry about forcing a qb into an offense that doesn’t fit him.  I feel like we are making Allen be like Brady when he should be playing more like Cam Newton or Russell Wilson.  

I don’t think any of us have an idea of what this offense will look like Week One.  

I highly doubt we will come out against the Jets and throw 85% of the time, with 90% of those throws being to Cole Beasley and Running Backs.  

That being said, that’s not the worst plan against a team with a strong rush defense DL and linebacker coverage issues..  

I still don’t think that’s our typical Regular Season Offense though... It seems like we’re making Allen do what he struggled to do last year.   That is, methodically move the chains with short throws to the slot, tight ends and running backs aka, as you pointed out, New England’s Offense.   He will have to do that to open up the bigger play stuff.