Josh Allen starting to prove doubters and haters wrong (BR article)

Logic

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean I don’t know how people can argue you this.  He struggled to hit 150 yards passing in games.  He needs to be much, much better as a passer.  We upgraded the wrs (still no number 1 though) so it’s time to see improvement, 

I don't think a lot of folks would argue the post you quoted.

I do think, however, that it's important to point out that Allen wasn't exactly all-time-bad last year as a rookie.  As I've mentioned on this board several times, he was clearly better as a rookie than guys like Goff and Trubisky, despite playing with a supporting cast that was at least as bad as theirs.

Now, it remains to be seen if the offseason improvements that Buffalo made to their offense are as good as those made by LAR and Chicago leading up to Goff/Trubisky's 2nd seasons, but if they are, then yes, we should all expect similar improvements.

For context, between years 1 and 2:

LA added: Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Reynolds, Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe, Everett, Higbee, and McVay as HC

Chicago added: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton, Daniels, and Nagy as HC

Buffalo added: Brown, Beasley, Roberts, Kroft, Knox, Sweeney, Nsekhe, Spain, Morse, Ford, and Feliciano

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And SWEEP the Patriots***

Other than post season success, there is almost nothing that would make a bigger splash to present himself as a serious presence on the NFL QB scene than beating them twice.  4000 yds.,  30+ TDs, 600+ yds. rushing with another 6 TDs.  Nah, beat Brady twice and the whole NFL notices.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, you're going to just roll over the AFC? mkay. Do you follow any team that isn't this one?

did I say that? no, I didn't. you though, said extremely tough. no, it will be tough, but it wont be EXTREMELY tough. and no, I haven't watched another nfl team play since 1968 and if it wasn't for the bills having to play other teams, I would only see the bills, duh. another dumb comment by the wanna be board expert.

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Other than post season success, there is almost nothing that would make a bigger splash to present himself as a serious presence on the NFL QB scene than beating them twice.  4000 yds.,  30+ TDs, 600+ yds. rushing with another 6 TDs.  Nah, beat Brady twice and the whole NFL notices.

He sweeps the Pats and I'll buy his Jersey that night.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

did I say that? no, I didn't. you though, said extremely tough. no, it will be tough, but it wont be EXTREMELY tough. and no, I haven't watched another nfl team play since 1968 and if it wasn't for the bills having to play other teams, I would only see the bills, duh. another dumb comment by the wanna be board expert.

So, you have the chiefs that right now look like the second coming of the Pats dynasty, and you still have the Pats. 

The Steelers have reloaded.

The Browns look as though they have every reason to believe they will ascend to the upper tier of the conference.

The Chargers are still tough to play until the postseason.

The Jags should now have a competent offense to go with an incredible defense.

Luck has bounced back and the Indy D is starting to look really good for the first time in a decade
The Jets should have every reason to believe they can be our equal or better

Until something significant changes, the Bills are still fighting for a wildcard at best. If it takes an "expert" to see that, my apologies.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The blog boys and "analytics experts" hated him because his college numbers said he couldn't work.

that's not correct. they hate him because they said his college numbers said he couldn't work. the truth is they are terrible analysts who don't know how to properly interpret data and Allen reveals this.

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So, you have the chiefs that right now look like the second coming of the Pats dynasty, and you still have the Pats. 

The Browns look as though they have every reason to believe they will ascend to the upper tier of the conference.

Luck has bounced back and the Indy D is starting to look really good for the first time in a decade

Until something significant changes, the Bills are still fighting for a wildcard at best. If it takes an "expert" to see that, my apologies.

never said that. I said it would be tough. save the apologies.  

anyone claiming the jets can be equal or better loses all credibility with me. that's easy to do though, coming from you.

891ec794661648e786c3cd12fc59f064.jpg?w=5

For all those saying "it's only preseason" or "he hasn't done anything yet", well...you're both right and wrong.

On the one hand, you're right, preseason doesn't mean anything.

On the other hand, he already HAS started to prove the doubters wrong. The book on Allen was that yes, he could hit the amazing, improvisatory play or the long bomb, but he couldn't consistently read defenses, adjust his protections, find the open man, and deliver the ball accurately in the short passing game. As the second half of last year wore on and then the preseason games started being played, we began to see that yes, Allen IS learning how to read defenses, set his protections, and find the open man in the short passing game. He's learning to take what the defense gives him. He's showing that it's not "long bomb or bust". That he perhaps CAN operate a standard, modern NFL offense. That's the whole thing with Allen. We already KNEW he could make the extraordinary plays. But could he make the ordinary plays? It's starting to look like the answer may be "yes", and that alone is indeed proving many doubters wrong.

Already, it seems quite obvious that Allen's FLOOR as an NFL QB is much higher than the analysts stated. Already, he is doing things they said he wouldn't be able to do. Yes, it's only preseason, but there's no law against being encouraged by a young QB's progress. There's no rule against cautious optimism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

never said that. I said it would be tough. save the apologies.  

anyone claiming the jets can be equal or better loses all credibility with me. that's easy to do though, coming from you.

891ec794661648e786c3cd12fc59f064.jpg?w=5

From what I've seen you post, I'll take that as a compliment.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Josh has impressed some in the media.  

Unfortunately Winning is the only way to show the negative Nancy’s up.  

Why is that unfortutnate?  Strange choice of word.

It's all about winning, and not in the pre-season, either.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Pat's comments. Fair. No need for brake pumping.

Pat's are on a 2 decade run of success. Fair to consider Chief's the heir apparent, but Pump the brakes on the chiefs and biblical aspersions.

Chargers. Fair. Drive on Sir.

Jags. 2018 record 5-11. Pump the brakes obviously its only preseason obviously. 

Steelers reloading from 

9-6 season. Ben R is like a billion years old. Brakes, pump em. 

Browns. Built for success. Too much talent to lose. Obvious contenders  for conference champs. Its like "Titanic", even though you've seen it 20 times, Leo never quite  gets on that damn saloon door and freezes to death on his way to checking out Davey Jones locker. Pump the brakes. 

The Andrewanapolis Colts. Fair.

Jets. Damn you. 4-12  a year ago, playing for a bug-eyed goober and without linebackers in 2019. Pump the damn brakes. 

I'm exhausted. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Neither has anyone else in the East outside of the Pats. I like our chances this year. I dunno, maybe I'm hitting the ol' smelling salts a little too much? 

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

...he's my Halloween costume.......gonna be an eye doc............

• Haha (+1) 1