Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Logic

Josh Allen starting to prove doubters and haters wrong (BR article)

Recommended Posts

The following article was written by Mike Tanier, noted Josh Allen hater. And when I say "hater", I mean that the publication he co-authors called Allen "A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect". Anyway, it's a pretty fair article, and points to cautious optimism that Allen may just turn out to be good after all, despite the hot takes of so many "draft experts".

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2850542-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-starting-to-prove-doubters-and-haters-wrong.amp.html

"If Allen develops a decent short game, remains a rushing threat and can hit on the intercontinental ballistic launches just a little more regularly, well, that's a pretty darn good quarterback. And a lot of folks, including me, will be eating some old takes.

Allen may still be a work in progress, but he's no punchline. In fact, he's what the Mayock types told us he would be: the high-upside guy with a lot to learn. The upside is still there, the learning continues, and Allen looks ready to help the Bills win a few games during his on-the-job training.


Maybe the old NFL guard really does know what it's talking about now and then. Imagine that."

 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh has impressed some in the media.  

 

 Unfortunately Winning is the only way to show the negative Nancy’s up.  

 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Logic said:

The following article was written by Mike Tanier, noted Josh Allen hater. And when I say "hater", I mean that the publication he co-authors called Allen "A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect". Anyway, it's a pretty fair article, and points to cautious optimism that Allen may just turn out to be good after all, despite the hot takes of so many "draft experts".

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2850542-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-starting-to-prove-doubters-and-haters-wrong.amp.html

"If Allen develops a decent short game, remains a rushing threat and can hit on the intercontinental ballistic launches just a little more regularly, well, that's a pretty darn good quarterback. And a lot of folks, including me, will be eating some old takes.

Allen may still be a work in progress, but he's no punchline. In fact, he's what the Mayock types told us he would be: the high-upside guy with a lot to learn. The upside is still there, the learning continues, and Allen looks ready to help the Bills win a few games during his on-the-job training.


Maybe the old NFL guard really does know what it's talking about now and then. Imagine that."

 

A much improved receiving corps from last year should help. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can hit the short to intermediate passes.  If his Wrs occassionally bail him out by catching footballs outside their frames he can be a 60% passer.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Josh has impressed some in the media.  

 

 Unfortunately [Fortunately] Winning is the only way to show the negative Nancy’s up.  

 

FIFY. I'm not doubting in the slightest this will happen for us this year plenty more than last! JA really can't do much else beyond what he's shown us so far since the 2nd half of last season through today, to convince that the Bills are primed for a breakout in the East & beyond, imho. And the FO has done its part to help out with the foundational pieces brought in.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get wins Josh. Just get wins

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The former scouts / crusty old NFL guys really liked Allen as a prospect.  Because they are trained to look at what a guy can do, ie his arm strength, size and athleticism.

 

The blog boys and "analytics experts" hated him because his college numbers said he couldn't work.  I'll still contend if Allen were the QB for USC or Oklahoma or UCLA and Baker or Darnold or Rosen were the Wyoming QB, the hot take blog boys would have had very different opinions on him.  

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He hasn’t proven anything yet. 

Neither has anyone else in the East outside of the Pats. I like our chances this year. I dunno, maybe I'm hitting the ol' smelling salts a little too much? 

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, that arm sometimes looks like it's permanently set to "annihilate." 

 

 

That's a good way of describing it. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

 

Neither has anyone else in the East outside of the Pats. I like our chances this year. I dunno, maybe I'm hitting the ol' smelling salts a little too much? 

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

 

Im pretty sure Adam Gase lost his coke connect from his staff in Miami and has been trying to find a legal alternative :lol:

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He hasn’t proven anything yet. 


So you're saying everyone should just pump the brakes?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 TD drives today should grant a few more "maaaybe we were wrong" articles by week one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

intercontinental ballistic launches🤣🤣

Has a nice ring to it--smells like victory to me! :D

 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Josh has impressed some in the media.  

 

 Unfortunately Winning is the only way to show the negative Nancy’s up.  

 

As bad as he was statistically at times last year, he won at a better than expected rate for his stats...that bodes really well

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He hasn’t proven anything yet. 

 

Well, as you can see from the article, he has proven he is better than some of the doubters initially thought. 

 

So has proven SOMEthing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Logic said:

So you're saying everyone should just pump the brakes?

they really should. we have two more preseason games yet to play. I'd say week one would be a statement game and then by week 5 after facing ne and the titans going in to the bye we should have a real good idea where JA is at.

 

not hating, I'm a JA supporter, just being patient and not putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The former scouts / crusty old NFL guys really liked Allen as a prospect.  Because they are trained to look at what a guy can do, ie his arm strength, size and athleticism.

 

The blog boys and "analytics experts" hated him because his college numbers said he couldn't work.  I'll still contend if Allen were the QB for USC or Oklahoma or UCLA and Baker or Darnold or Rosen were the Wyoming QB, the hot take blog boys would have had very different opinions on him.  

 

I maintain that many folks that knocked Allen during the draft process did so without watching every throw from the kid.  It was brutally obvious watching him that he wasn't the can't-hit-the-broadside-of-a-barn inaccurate QB that some narratives portray him as being.

 

The other thing that many analysts (and fans) don't understand is that the positional value of a QB is soooooooo stinkin' high that any QB that has even a marginal shot to become a franchise QB should be automatically considered a 1st round pick (and an early one at that).  That's why folks can feel free to knock the Daniel Jones or Josh Allen type picks all they want, but the bottom line is this: if you see a guy that you believe has the potential to be your franchise QB for the next decade, you're nuts if you don't do what's necessary to get him.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don’t care what his completion % is. 

What a sickening stat so many people nitpick. 

Give me 3rd down % and wins. Doesn’t matter how you get there as long as you convert 3rd downs and win the games. 

Allen is 100x better already than I expected and he does not play like all those scouting reports and draft grade recaps said he did other than missing some easy throws. They portrayed him as EJ Manual 2.0 and that is absolutely not the case. 

He is a leader, tough, and a hard worker. He’s going to succeed. The only question left I have is how good can he be? He’s going to be a top 15 quarterback in this league for a long time if he stays healthy. The completion % is not as important as everyone makes it out to be. Any quarterback who can put the team on his shoulders and takeover and sometimes dominate is going to have success long term 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Logic said:

The following article was written by Mike Tanier, noted Josh Allen hater. And when I say "hater", I mean that the publication he co-authors called Allen "A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect". Anyway, it's a pretty fair article, and points to cautious optimism that Allen may just turn out to be good after all, despite the hot takes of so many "draft experts".

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2850542-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-starting-to-prove-doubters-and-haters-wrong.amp.html

"If Allen develops a decent short game, remains a rushing threat and can hit on the intercontinental ballistic launches just a little more regularly, well, that's a pretty darn good quarterback. And a lot of folks, including me, will be eating some old takes.

Allen may still be a work in progress, but he's no punchline. In fact, he's what the Mayock types told us he would be: the high-upside guy with a lot to learn. The upside is still there, the learning continues, and Allen looks ready to help the Bills win a few games during his on-the-job training.


Maybe the old NFL guard really does know what it's talking about now and then. Imagine that."

 


Based on what? I'm hopeful that the guy can become a competent NFL QB, but that's all it really can be at this point - hope. The preseason has been encouraging, but if it were any other QB the Bills have trotted out it would be "it's preeeeeeeseason".

So far he's been pretty much the same player he was when he was drafted, and he has to prove he can grow significantly from that. That Josh Allen wasn't good enough to win in the Mountain West and we need him to win in the AFC East and in a now loaded conference that looks like it will be extremely tough for the foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

As bad as he was statistically at times last year, he won at a better than expected rate for his stats...that bodes really well

 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

Well, as you can see from the article, he has proven he is better than some of the doubters initially thought. 

 

So has proven SOMEthing. 

 

The most encouraging thing from Allen last season was the marked improvement as a passer from pre-injury to post-injury.

 

Pre-injury Josh was 75/139 (53.9%), 832 yds (5.98 YPA), 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 61.8 passer rating, sacked 21 times for 167 yds

Post-injury Josh was 94/181 (51.9%), 1242yds (6.86 YPA), 8 TDs, 7 INTs, 72.57 passer rating, sacked 7 times for 46 yds

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:


So far he's been pretty much the same player he was when he was drafted, and he has to prove he can grow significantly from that. That Josh Allen wasn't good enough to win in the Mountain West and we need him to win in the AFC East and in a now loaded conference that looks like it will be extremely tough for the foreseeable future. 

 

I'm sorry, but if that's what you saw in the 6 games after his injury, I'm not sure you watched him at Wyoming.

 

Furthermore, if that's still what you see in his play this preseason, we are watching two different players.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...