Cam Newton suffers foot sprain, leaves in walking boot

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

You're right..............you're always right....practice means something....preseason games do not

Preseason is practice.  Some seem to have forgotten this.

Again this line of thinking has run amok. It has gotten silly to put it kindly.

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So when your favorite player gets hurt in the first series on opening day because he hasn’t run a serious play in over six months...what then? Come on people! The current system is fine. Injuries are part of football. (Just keep the rubber mats off the practice field.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

yet brady played and even ran and dove head first for a first down. 

Yup, he is “practicing”. BB sees large value in these games, and his teams generally kick everyone’s azses on a regular basis for how many years in a row now?? 

Enough with this don’t play your starters in preseason silliness already. Pima donnas players and mistaken fans follow this path.

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So when your favorite player gets hurt in the first series on opening day because he hasn’t run a serious play in over six months...what then? Come on people! The current system is fine. Injuries are part of football. (Just keep the rubber mats off the practice field.)

They don’t run in TC ???

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

They don’t run in TC ???

Yup, wearing the red non-contact Jersey in a team practice is so the same as an actual game then...

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Practice at team facilities has seen many starters injured and out for extended time as well, are they gonna stop playing there as well? This line of thinking has run amok. So if one starter some where gets injured they should all just stop participating what a load of ?. It’s football people.

Go Bills!!!

Practices are a more controlled environment and the probability of a hit that takes the QB to the ground in practice is significantly less than in a preseason game.  This debate over sitting guys vs. playing them will always exist.  IMHO limiting preseason game exposure is more important than the benefit of live game experience. I don't want Allen being taken out by some d-tackle that's on the bubble trying to get noticed by his coach.  Let's face it; preseason games don't contain the real defensive schemes and full offensive game plans that the players will see in the regular season.  In the end, it's a matter of the risk vs. the reward.  Teams will make that choice and decide on the best course of action for them.  I bet Rivera would make a different decision today.

I believe you are wrong, and Rivera would still get Cam those reps, especially that Cam has not seen action in some time now.

Go o!!!

4 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Practices are a more controlled environment and the probability of a hit that takes the QB to the ground in practice is significantly less than in a preseason game.  This debate over sitting guys vs. playing them will always exist.  IMHO limiting preseason game exposure is more important than the benefit of live game experience. I don't want Allen being taken out by some d-tackle that's on the bubble trying to get noticed by his coach.  Let's face it; preseason games don't contain the real defensive schemes and full offensive game plans that the players will see in the regular season.  In the end, it's a matter of the risk vs. the reward.  Teams will make that choice and decide on the best course of action for them.  I bet Rivera would make a different decision today.

True, but it’s taken a dramatic step up since the rule change for zero cuts until the rosters get trimmed to 53. I doubt the League considered that teams will now just rest starters as a fallout from the change. Since Jack Kemp blew his knee out in ‘68 preseason, it’s been pretty obvious if you didn’t have to play starters, don’t. 

Yes, I know Jackie got hurt in practice. They were going Full Out in practice then.

• Like (+1) 1

The most successful team in pro football is the Patriots.  They play their starters more than any other team in preseason, and they kick azs every season, and for how many decades now??

Other teams have come and gone, but the Patriots are always there at the top of the league as the most successful franchise, ask yourself why they sustain this position. Ask yourself why the Bills are mimicking their offense.

Wake up and smell the coffee folks

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Do they have a Boot for brain damage?

asking for a friend..

I’ll never understand the Cam hate. Living in Charlotte, seeing him around and in local media he is a super personable, fun guy. He’ll end his career in the top 25 all time for passing yards. He went to the SB. Oh, he also wears crazzzzyyyyy hats and has opinions. Get him!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

^^

This. ‘I’m Worried about McDermott’.

WTH is he thinking? Starters to play at least a Half? I’m thrilled to see them live on CBS, but I’d prefer to see ONLY Backups.

McDingbat’s McProcess?

I disagree.  Josh needs reps.  He's still an inexperienced QB, and practice just isn't the same as playing in a game.  Now, if he and the first string O look good for a couple of drives then you pull them.

And as for the starting D playing?  Name me an NFL defense that couldn't use more "live" reps practicing their tackling fundamentals.

Next week sit everybody, but I want to see the starters in there for a reasonable amount of time tonight.  You can't "worry" about injuries.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, wearing the red non-contact Jersey in a team practice is so the same as an actual game then...

Go Bills!!!

So there’s NO running and No contact in TC it’s basically flag football all the way to the preseason , Got it 

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Teams are finally realizing you need to sit your best players for the preseason games. Plus the mess in Canada last night doesn't help

Victor Cruz was on the radio yesterday commenting how he wanted to play as much in the pre-seaosn as he could.  His philosophy was if he's playing he gets exposure so if the Giants were to cut him, other teams would see he's still good and sign him.  Wonder how many other players would feel the same?

Can see where this entire pre-season process is becoming a complete farce with no one playing and likely will change with the next CBA, but the other side is players on the fringe are helped by playing these games and also helps the coaches decide whom to keep.  Also helps teams with new coaching staffs and/or large turnover.

My proposal would be:

Report to camp 4 to 5 days later than today and the first 10 days or so of camp are similar to today regardless if it's in home training facility or go away to place like SJF

The weekend of first pre-season games replace that with mandatory 2 to 3 day scrimmage with another team.  Scrimmages may be somewhat limited in the amount of hitting certain types of plays can be run.

Weeks 2 and 3 still have pre-season games as normal

Week 4 replace last game with another scrimmage but teams are only allowed to dress maybe around 45 players wearing a red jersey.  Basically its to figure out who the last 5 players or so you cut/keep are.

Cut downs after that.

13 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’ll never understand the Cam hate. Living in Charlotte, seeing him around and in local media he is a super personable, fun guy. He’ll end his career in the top 25 all time for passing yards. He went to the SB. Oh, he also wears crazzzzyyyyy hats and has opinions. Get him!

When you’re exposed to snippets of video and quotes out of context, I imagine many opposing fan bases form uninformed opinions regarding opponents.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You play starters that need to play to continue to develop (Allen, the OL, etc).  Playing Newton (not sure how long he played) for over a quarter is questionable.  I believe the Bills of the 90's barely played starters in preseason after they started the SB runs.  Knock off some rust, then let the backups get some experience. 

But this is totally different than what we have now.  We need to play our starters.  

14 minutes ago, Putin said:

So there’s NO running and No contact in TC it’s basically flag football all the way to the preseason , Got it 

For the QB it is, red no contact jersey every single day, For the rest of the players my point is made, that they can get injured in TC just as easily as a preseason game. 

Look at the most successful team in the NFL over the last two decades. They play their starters more than any other team in preseason, and they are in the playoffs or Championship game with monotonous regularity. 

Go Bills!!!