NFL Coaching Confidence - The Athletic (paywall)

TroutDog

Here is what was said about McDermott (who was in the second tier out of four):

Sean McDermott, Bills: He’s shown the ability to do more with less — specifically on the defensive side of the ball. The Bills went 9-7 in McDermott’s first season, and last year the defense was No. 2 in efficiency even though Buffalo ranked 26th in terms of cap dollars committed to that side of the ball. How can the Bills get back to the postseason? Either Josh Allen has to take a significant step forward or McDermott’s defense has to be even better than it was in 2018.

I would agree, given the first two years. With that being said, I grasp what they were doing in years one and two (definitively playing the long game) and have full faith in the duo of McDermott and Beane moving forward. 

Stoked to be a Bills fan again!

https://theathletic.com/1149751/2019/08/22/nfl-coach-confidence-scale-how-should-the-32-fan-bases-feel-going-into-2019/

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a "show me" year for McDermott.  Less than 9-7 is a disappointment.  I don't think he has to get the team to the playoffs, but he should at least be coaching meaningful games through December.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is a "show me" year for McDermott.  Less than 9-7 is a disappointment.  I don't think he has to get the team to the playoffs, but he should at least be coaching meaningful games through December.

Why are your expectations so low.  12/32 teams make the playoffs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I believe he has been given the talent to make the playoffs. I don’t want him to be gone, under almost any circumstances, but not making it would be a major disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Why are your expectations so low.  12/32 teams make the playoffs. 

I don't know if they're low, at least not on purpose; just cautious.  I do think he has a good shot to make the playoffs with this roster.  A lot of it hinges on Josh Allen, who I think will demonstrate a high ceiling. 

Still a lot of new pieces to finish integrating into the system, so no gimme, imo.

7 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I believe he has been given the talent to make the playoffs. I don’t want him to be gone, under almost any circumstances, but not making it would be a major disappointment. 

Yes, McD does have a lot of new talent; how he develops the new guys and his coordinators work them into the schemes remains to be seen.  I don't think McD is gone unless this year is a complete disaster, which I don't expect.  I would like to see the playoffs, but if they go 9-7 it is no guarantee.  10-6 should get them there.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

While yes this is true this year the afc will be very strong atleast on paper..there's alot of teams that potentially are as talented as we are New England kc San Diego ..Jacksonville should be back with foles at qb now ..Baltimore's defence is elite..browns ..colts potentially the wildcard battle  on paper looks to be super intense this year. 

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's definitely got an element of a show me year for McDermott, but I think his record given the talent level has been above average. Whether or not he could ever be a winning playoff coach is unanswerable. 

I would say it's as much, if not more, a show me year for Beane and Allen. How will Beane's acquisitions pan out now that he had the ability to acquire "his guys."

Is Allen going to take that second year leap? I know this is specific to McDermott, but I'm less concerned with his ability to maximize the talent and more interested to see how the FA's/draft picks/Allen pan out. 

The worst case scenario for McD would be that Allen doesn't take that leap and he takes the fall. I think more highly of McD than most and am less sold on Beane than most. But that's just me.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Can't argue with that. I think we can be confident in McDermott. He hasn't given us any reason not to be.

Just like many here I’m very content with McDermott leading this team.  With that said he has given us many reasons to be unsure if the Bills have a 10 year plus coach.

But to me the last two seasons were a write off.  Almost like a very long preseason.  This year is a clean slate.  It is firmly his team and he gets 100% of the credit or blame of how it turns out.

I really like the direction for the first time in a long time which makes it a lot more fun to be a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Just like many here I’m very content with McDermott leading this team.  With that said he has given us many reasons to be unsure if the Bills have a 10 year plus coach.

But to me the last two seasons were a write off.  Almost like a very long preseason.  This year is a clean slate.  It is firmly his team and he gets 100% of the credit or blame of how it turns out.

I really like the direction for the first time in a long time which makes it a lot more fun to be a fan.

Every coach makes small-scale mistakes, even the best like Bellichick.

But looking at the larger scale, there has been no reason to doubt McDermott.

No tension with the GM.

No tension with the press.

Good drafts.

Good team cohesion.

Humility and being willing to acknowledge and correct mistakes.

Think of all the past coaches over the last 20 years. In hindsight, we saw the red flags and hoped they'd work through it.

What large scale deficiencies are you seeing now?

To be honest, McDermott reminds me of Jauron, but without Marv Levy and Russ Brandon for GM. McDermott has an actual GM that he's aligned with. 

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Every coach makes small-scale mistakes, even the best like Bellichick.

But looking at the larger scale, there has been no reason to doubt McDermott.

No tension with the GM.

No tension with the press.

Good drafts.

Good team cohesion.

Humility and being willing to acknowledge and correct mistakes.

Think of all the past coaches over the last 20 years. In hindsight, we saw the red flags and hoped they'd work through it.

What large scale deficiencies are you seeing now?

To be honest, McDermott reminds me of Jauron, but without Marv Levy and Russ Brandon for GM. McDermott has an actual GM that he's aligned with. 

The only thing on your list that actually reflects on coaching "talent" might be good team cohesion, which I do agree seems to be present.

McDermott has looked consistently like a DC masquerading as a HC.

His clock management, in game tactical moves, challenges--you know, the stuff a HC is supposed to know how to do--has been terrible.

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The only thing on your list that actually reflects on coaching "talent" might be good team cohesion, which I do agree seems to be present.

His clock management, in game tactical moves, challenges--you know, the stuff a HC is supposed to know how to do--has been terrible.

You're talking about a small scale issue HCs can learn over time.

The point of my post was that long term success is dependent on large-scale issues and McDermott's regime doesn't seem to have the deficiencies of past regimes. That's why the fanbase seems more confident.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Here is what was said about McDermott (who was in the second tier out of four):

Sean McDermott, Bills: He’s shown the ability to do more with less — specifically on the defensive side of the ball. The Bills went 9-7 in McDermott’s first season, and last year the defense was No. 2 in efficiency even though Buffalo ranked 26th in terms of cap dollars committed to that side of the ball. How can the Bills get back to the postseason? Either Josh Allen has to take a significant step forward or McDermott’s defense has to be even better than it was in 2018.

I know that a lot of people rave about The Athletic, but what's written above looks like it was plucked from any one of ESPN's hacks.  This would be in the running for the "No *****, Sherlock," Award.

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I know that a lot of people rave about The Athletic, but what's written above looks like it was plucked from any one of ESPN's hacks.  This would be in the running for the "No *****, Sherlock," Award.

Agreed, but this was written by a “national” feed writer - so essentially it is no different than a national ESPN hack.

The only part of the Atlantic that I really enjoy are the pieces written by the local team - especially Fairburn - that actually has focus on the Bills by guys that have actually watched OTA’s, Mini-camps, practices, and the games.  They have seen the growth and change in players.

The numerous “national” feed writers are just looking for content and clicks - no different than the hacks at ESPN or CBS or insert sports site here.  They have no real insight just the same basic overviews as other national writers.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

“Terrible” is a bit of an over exaggeration...I would say that, compared to other HC’s, McD is probably closer to average imo.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

“Terrible” is a bit of an over exaggeration...I would say that, compared to other HC’s, McD is probably closer to average imo.

McDermott is BEHIND Doug Marrone, who we all hate, and WAY behind Anthony Lynn, whom we could have had.  Way below average.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035886/article/2019-nfl-head-coach-power-rankings-bill-belichick-still-no-1

6 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Less than playoffs is disappointing. I want double digit wins.

That is possible, though not guaranteed.  Lots of new guys that have to integrate into the process, which makes playoffs an uncertainty.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed, but this was written by a “national” feed writer - so essentially it is no different than a national ESPN hack.

The only part of the Atlantic that I really enjoy are the pieces written by the local team - especially Fairburn - that actually has focus on the Bills by guys that have actually watched OTA’s, Mini-camps, practices, and the games.  They have seen the growth and change in players.

The numerous “national” feed writers are just looking for content and clicks - no different than the hacks at ESPN or CBS or insert sports site here.  They have no real insight just the same basic overviews as other national writers.

They offer a week free: give it a shot. While I agree with what you wrote about this sample, the Bills beat reporters are phenomenal. 

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

They offer a week free: give it a shot. While I agree with what you wrote about this sample, the Bills beat reporters are phenomenal. 

Already a member - enjoy the local guys immensely - I would sign up for Fairburn and Joe B every day of the week.

• Like (+1) 1