Happy Birthday Paul Maguire!

Rico

I see by looking at the upcoming events part of the 1st page that he turns 81 today.

Yeah, he may have outstayed his welcome a little bit on the national stage, but I enjoyed him doing color on games

AND

he's a great ex-Bill, HB!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I see by looking at the upcoming events part of the 1st page that he turns 81 today.

Yeah, he may have outstayed his welcome a little bit on the national stage, but I enjoyed him doing color on games

AND

I used catch his show on Empire Sports Network.  Was a good way to wind down in the evening.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

AND

...Carter is ailing.....should we bring.......sorry...had to..........

• Haha (+1) 1

Excellent Punter and also solid linebacker for the Bills in their AFL title years.  Funny Guy, spoke at my HS athletic banquet.

Back when football players played football:

He was involved in one of the most spectacular plays in Bills' history in the 1965 American Football League Championship game against the Chargers. Butch Byrd took a John Hadl punt and with outstanding blocking, took it 74 yards for a touchdown. The last two blocks were by Maguire, crushing two Chargers.

• Like (+1) 2

Happy Birthday! 

I remember my dad taking me to Sestak & Maguires to eat once. Nice (old and fuzzy) memory. Wonder how long that lasted. 

Also remember him launching a punt up into a stiff breeze that basically game right back to him. Like a frisbee trick! 

Always loved Paul Maguire.  My best memory is after the the Bills Championship victory over the Raiders in the first Super Bowl year.  It had been a long day, but Maguire was guesting on a weekly Sunday night post game radio show at a downtown Buffalo hotel, hosted by Bob Costas.  They were doing the show live from a sound booth in the bar.   

We we were still euphoric and not ready to quit celebrating so we showed up at the bar and it was quite the party.  Maguire was trashed but carried off the show.  When it was over, we walked up and introduced ourselves to he and Costas.  It turns out they were heading directly to Kelly’s house for the post game party.  (It was after 11:00 by this time). We did our best best to get invited but no go.  In any case, it was a trip to meet Maguire.  Really cool guy.

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Had him on a flight from Ft. Meyers, Fl. to Buffalo, connecting through Raleigh.

He was on both legs.

Some woman had a small child in coach from Ft. Meyers to Raleigh. The child was really upset and really loud, and the Mom did her her best, but was seriously stressed.

Maguire noticed she and the kid were on the Raleigh to Buffalo flight as well, and bought her first class tickets.

Kid slept the entire way,

Just a nice guy,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm glad he's still around.  What a great soul.  I can't ever remember him with a bad word to say about anyone.  He was doing the color announcement on the Bills-Titans game when they let a forward lateral stand for the Music City Mugging. Maguire said immediately that the play would come back. To this day I think it was not a legal play but at the same time if the Bills had covered the kick like every high school player knows how to do, staying in their damned lanes, the play wouldn't have worked at all.