Derek Anderson opens up about retirement decision

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Did DA have a concussion history before his time with the Bills?  I hope his symptoms clear up soon.

I think so.  I don't know how many he's had, but I'm pretty sure this was not his first.  I too hope he can put the symptoms behind him soon and for good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It made me think about that article that came out years later about Kevin Kolb and the affects he still has from that career-ending concussion. It was chilling to read. 

Ugh...I forgot about Kolb...

Legend of the Rubber Mat

Kolb

Orton

Anderson

All these guys just blend together...

Again, it reinforces just how bad the QB situation was at this time last year. Fortunately, the Bills realized their mistakes (McCarron, Peterman, the old QB Coach) and corrected it soon. If Josh Allen had gone through last season without any veteran help like Anderson and Barkley, he could have been handicapped for his entire career. The tools are there, they are raw, and surrounding him with smart, "been there, done that before" people is huge for his development.

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Again, it reinforces just how bad the QB situation was at this time last year. Fortunately, the Bills realized their mistakes (McCarron, Peterman, the old QB Coach) and corrected it soon. If Josh Allen had gone through last season without any veteran help like Anderson and Barkley, he could have been handicapped for his entire career. The tools are there, they are raw, and surrounding him with smart, "been there, done that before" people is huge for his development.

It is huge for his development. But what they did with him before Anderson was malpractice. It wasn't smart to get some guys like that, it was the only logical thing to do and they didn't for six months. Incredibly naive and stupid. Glad they got it right now. 

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It is huge for his development. But what they did with him before Anderson was malpractice. It wasn't smart to get some guys like that, it was the only logical thing to do and they didn't for six months. Incredibly naive and stupid. Glad they got it right now. 

it is a credit to Allen that he responded to positive changes so quickly and that he is teachable.

It’s a thing that I’m surprised more teams don’t try. Take a veteran qb with diminishing skills that isn’t necessarily worried about playing time. But still has the itch to help a team. When you put a veteran 3rd qb in the room, he’s  basically another coach. He doesn’t even have to be active but he can be a help during game days (when the coaches are busy). It’s a guy that can also get in there durring practice and show you how to do certain things. Things that most QB coaches can’t physically execute. It’s a no lose situation. You aren’t expecting to have to actually play the guy...and if you do, at least he’s probably not going to throw you out of a game with dumb mistakes. We have Barkley now so it’s not as dire, but it would never bother me to have another guy that has been around and can offer another opinion on what they are seeing.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It made me think about that article that came out years later about Kevin Kolb and the affects he still has from that career-ending concussion. It was chilling to read. 

I remember that article also. It has stuck with me for awhile, horrible that Kolb is suffering the way he is. Hiding in a closet and all that. Really sad.

48 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s a thing that I’m surprised more teams don’t try. Take a veteran qb with diminishing skills that isn’t necessarily worried about playing time. But still has the itch to help a team. When you put a veteran 3rd qb in the room, he’s  basically another coach. He doesn’t even have to be active but he can be a help during game days (when the coaches are busy). It’s a guy that can also get in there durring practice and show you how to do certain things. Things that most QB coaches can’t physically execute. It’s a no lose situation. You aren’t expecting to have to actually play the guy...and if you do, at least he’s probably not going to throw you out of a game with dumb mistakes. We have Barkley now so it’s not as dire, but it would never bother me to have another guy that has been around and can offer another opinion on what they are seeing.

Other than losing a valuable roster spot.