From Jet Nation: Wk 1 gameplan

saundena

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Actually, Pedersen, McVay, Reich, and Nagy were all totally unproven when they were hired.  That Gase failed in his first HC gig doesn't mean that he'll never be a good HC.

No, it doesn't, but he's got baggage now, and I don't know about you but I'm not seeing great leadership qualities in that guy.

15 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i expect the bills to beat the jets easily, like 33-10. bills have better coaching and will play much more as a cohesive unit as a result.

make their line run around and force their linebackers to cover by utilizing screen passes, counters, and swing passes.

I think you are severely underestimating the Jets...we can certainly win but I think it will be a lot closer than you predict 

Geez, they are a cocky bunch.

I think they clearly have not been paying attention to what Allen has done this offseason (for the most part, there are surprisingly a few sharp posters) and they seem to think that if they "keep Allen in the pocket" it's an easy win. 

I'll be honest, now that sports betting is legal near me, I think I have to lay money on the Bills in week 1. 

13 hours ago, VTBman said:

Hello, all! Visiting Jet fan here ...

After reading predictions here, they span the usual gamut of conservative/pessimistic to irrational (just like on the Jet boards I frequent.) It IS interesting to me to learn more about how you guys view your team, and where there is progress and where there are concerns. From my less informed perspective, you guys are at least a year ahead of the Jets in terms of emerging from the Dark Ages. Having the front office in place, drafting competently, signing but not reaching on free agents - you guys are doing much better/further along in the culture building process.  The Jets "may" be heading in the right direction - unfortunately, it takes time to tell if it's going well or if it's going to be another sh*t show.

Starting talent wise, I think the teams are fairly well matched - with both teams having hopes for their QB's - and trying to get some talent around them and to protect them. You have a distinct advantage by being in the second year of your coaching regime: I think it's really underrated how being able to start a year in an established offensive and defensive system propels a team closer to achievement, and you are deeper. The Jets are paper thin (or bereft) at key positions like CB.

The only factor I would say is being underestimated is that the previous Jets coaching staff (other than special teams) was just HORRENDOUS. Everything from game management to evaluation of talent to scheme to whatever - just maddening. Frustrating as a fan. The previous Jet GM - Mr. Coffee - let our only two Pro Bowl players walk (I believe you guys have Roberts - he's a keeper) as part of his "strategy" of improving the team, being a cheap skate when he had cap money to burn (because we had so few players drafted over the past five years who were worth resigning to second contracts - almost none.) 

So short and simple, whatever talent the Jets had was poorly coached and utilized - so you may see some guys deployed in ways that maximize their talents - which for us Jet fans is a novelty. We lost a lot of games last year in the fourth quarter by playing "not to lose." (I think we had one game last year where we got a "delay of game" penalty on the first offensive play right after receiving the kickoff - it was enough to get you to switch to hard liquor from beer even before eating at halftime.) Whatever talent there is on the team was badly under-coached. We shall see if our previously mediocre guys start actually looking like NFL players.

So - in summary - good luck, no injuries, and I think we are seeing two teams emerge from some dark years. (I'm 60+ and started my years of masochism in the early 70's.)  I think we can always agree with the sentiment "Anyone but the Cheatriots." I live in VT, and God, do I want to see the NE fan base suffer - for decades. They are insufferable, especially the younger bandwagon types.  An example of how I feel comes from one Jet board poster, who when asked by another contributor if the intro press conference of Joe Douglass, our new GM, was "a success", responded with "Well, since he didn't reach down and pull Brady's severed head out of a canvas bag, I'd say no." :) 

Thanks for dropping in, and thanks for bringing well thought-out material to the board. As much as I dislike the Jets, it would be cool to see the Bills and the Jets be the future of the division and have great battles for years to come, all while beating the living hell out of the patriots for the next decade and a half.

Good luck to your Jets this season!

As to our gameplan, well, I want to see how Darnold does in week 3, but right now it seems like the best answer there is to keep applying interior pressure. With Bell, they would need to be aggressive at the line, but I trust our secondary to keep pace with their receivers.

From the Jets fans, their secondary is attrocious. I suspect that they will be putting extra coverage on Beasley, so I would challenge them on the edges early. We saw in week 1 that Allen can change plays at the line to take advantage of John Brown and the cushion he gets.

2 hours ago, eball said:

No, it doesn't, but he's got baggage now, and I don't know about you but I'm not seeing great leadership qualities in that guy.

If Gase were the Bills HC I'm sure you'd see lots of "great leadership qualities" in him.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If Gase were the Bills HC I'm sure you'd see lots of "great leadership qualities" in him.

Dude, don't be an ass and try sticking to the subject.  I know that's difficult for you.

Do you think Gase has shown strong leadership qualities?  By contrast, has McDermott?

• Like (+1) 1

Any given Sunday... buuuut I feel the Jets are in for a miserable season.  I could see the entire AFC East combined not winng as many games as the Pats too, so who knows.  So many "ifs" this year.  Bills and Jets are both kinda wild cards.

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Wheels week one gameplan:

take a jog

eat Breakfast
eat entire Medicinal Chocolate bar
(recommended serving size be damned)
Bills game

And from there we just gonna see where the day takes me....

SCREW THE JETS!!!

:w00t:

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Geez, they are a cocky bunch.

I think they clearly have not been paying attention to what Allen has done this offseason (for the most part, there are surprisingly a few sharp posters) and they seem to think that if they "keep Allen in the pocket" it's an easy win. 

I'll be honest, now that sports betting is legal near me, I think I have to lay money on the Bills in week 1. 

Jets fans are clearly paying close attention to ESPN, the national media coverage and some kid named Brandon who, based on Josh Allen's stats from high school, junior college and Wyoming have determined that Josh Allen and any team foolish enough to draft Josh Allen will be easily beaten in 2019 against every NFL team and the top 5 ranked college teams.  

I do believe the Jets have improved this offseason, and I think Darnold will be a good QB for many years.  We have also improved and our defense will make life tough for the Jets offense, while Josh has shown that he is learning to read the defense, make adjustments at the line and take whatever the defense is giving.

I like being the underdog.  I like gliding under the radar and I will enjoy lurking on the Jets board after the first game when they have to deal with losing to an inferior opponent that everyone said they should beat.

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, jletha said:

Yea thats true of course. But its not that Vegas *really* thinks were going to win 9 games but setting it at 5.5-6 will get equal money. In a scenario like setting total teams over/under before a season the line has to be set very close to true value.

Except that the moneyline on that prop bets keeps getting worse. Right now it's -180 on the over. So the number of wins predicted stays the same. But the payouts on the over gets less and less attractive because too much money is going there.

It seems many over there are operating under the assumption that our QB is a joke.  

Im very excited to see Josh flip that narrative on its head this year.  

He was dynamic down the stretch last year, is now on a much upgraded team and (albeit preseason) looks to have cleaned up the things that were of concern coming into the league. 

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

As to our gameplan, well, I want to see how Darnold does in week 3, but right now it seems like the best answer there is to keep applying interior pressure. With Bell, they would need to be aggressive at the line, but I trust our secondary to keep pace with their receivers.

From the Jets fans, their secondary is attrocious. I suspect that they will be putting extra coverage on Beasley, so I would challenge them on the edges early. We saw in week 1 that Allen can change plays at the line to take advantage of John Brown and the cushion he gets.

They can't roll coverage to Beasley without being exposed on the outside, he's going to have room to work all year.  Brown and Foster are too much risk to worry about the 6 yard pick ups.

11 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Gonna be so satisfying to ram it down Gregggggggggggs throat.

Yeah that goes triple for me.  There are few, if any, coaches in the league I despise more.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I may have to remake my screen name to "Gregg Williams Pressure"

That's just too good.

I will go with Rex-Genius. 

Allen vs Darnold will be fun to watch develop. But last year’s Bills offense had one starting lineman in common with this year’s (and the guys who are gone are either bagging groceries or will be soon). Same with WRs. If the offense isn’t significantly better, I will be shocked. 

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

19 hours ago, benderbender said:

Must be so easy to be a Jests fan. What do we do when we want to encourage our offense? Spell the team name! Our D needs a stop? Spell the team name! Where do we play our games? In another state!

The good news for them is that in Greggg’s defensive scheme the deep safety will actually be in the state of New York.  So they got that going for them. 

There is certainly a lot of talent on the Jest defense - particularly the DL and up the middle with Mosley and Adams - but I have no faith in Greggg’s scheme.  It’s tailor-made to abuse bad offenses and get shredded by good ones.  That’s obviously a concern with how ours was and I’d rather play them a little later in the season after our offense has had time to gel, but these are the kinds of games we have to win if we want to go to the playoffs.  Can’t wait to see what we have.  This game will tell us a lot about the 2019 Bills.