From Jet Nation: Wk 1 gameplan

saundena

43 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Honestly, the least of my worries about Allen is how to handle the pass rush.....esp., w/ Beasley, better TE’s and having a year under his belt. I never felt Allen’s issues last season were how he handled pressure but stemmed from the total lack of talent surrounding him.

Oh, I definitely think he suffered from being a bit slow to process and recognize what the defense was doing and therefore, what his best options were. I don't mean that as a negative - he was a rookie who wasn't supposed to be starting yet. This year, I am hoping to see the "time to recognition and decision" be shortened. Teams that bring pressure will test that improvement. 

:) It's all part of...the process.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if this is why the short passing game is what we have seen during the pre season? Short throws against bad secondaries can turn into big plays. Darnold's good but prone to bad interceptions which will be the key. Bills should change up and disguise coverage's and turnovers will come. With Bell hit the ball out of his arms and fumbles will come. He has little work in live tackling drills in the preseason.

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

That’s not always a positive, that means theres 32 games worth of film on our schemes and none on theirs

Im pretty sure that they would just check out past seasons of the Dolphins if they wanted an idea of the offense, and any Gregg Williams defense of the past 20 years to get them up to speed on that side of the ball. 

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The great myth of Gregg Williams and his incredible pressure defense persists.  He was innovative and bold, years ago.  He is just recycling his old schemes.  Plenty of tape out there on old Gregg and his defense.

Screen to McCoy, bubble screen to Beasley, TE screen to ?? all day long and burn the ***** out his pathetic blitzes. :lol:??????????????

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, saundena said:

Thought I'd share this with everyone.  Most of their posters seem to sense a Jet victory (no surprise there), but there is healthy respect for our D, Beasley and even a few who are worried about how to stop Josh (ie using a spy opens up the field for big plays).

They also acknowledged their atrocious secondary.

Me, I'm concerned with big Q and their stout D line making is too one dimensional early in the game (bottling the run and flustering Josh).  I also like Darnold a lot and worry that he can pick us apart with short throws which in the best case scenario will keep drives alive, tire our D and help their field position.  We seemed so awful last year giving up big completions on 3rd and 6+.

Anyway here it is:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/146258-jets-bills-can-we-start-talking-game-plan-yet/

...they see everything through Gase's eyeballs......uh oh.......BUT...how many times in recent lore have AFCE  W & L prognostications been posted for the Jets as " a gimme sweep"?.....caution...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Not all teams take year to get their acts together under new coaching regimes.  The Bears won 12 games last season under new HC Matt Nagy after winning only 5 in 2017.   The Colts won 10 games last season under new HC  Frank Reich after winning only 4 games the previous season.   The Rams made the playoffs in their first season under McVay and made the Super Bowl in his second.  The Eagles won the Super Bowl in Pedersen's second season.

Compare the rosters between this years Jets and the teams you listed. I’m pretty sure they’re not in the same ballpark. Also, I’m pretty sure the Colts were something like 1-5 before turning it around last season. (With a veteran QB) Sometimes the pieces are already in place and only need the coach to bring things together. I’m pretty sure this is not the case with the ‘19 Jets. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Not all teams take year to get their acts together under new coaching regimes.  The Bears won 12 games last season under new HC Matt Nagy after winning only 5 in 2017.   The Colts won 10 games last season under new HC  Frank Reich after winning only 4 games the previous season.   The Rams made the playoffs in their first season under McVay and made the Super Bowl in his second.  The Eagles won the Super Bowl in Pedersen's second season.

Bears -- Y2 of franchise QB

Colts -- Andrew Luck returned

Rams -- Y2 of franchise QB

Eagles -- Y2 of franchise QB

Yes, if Darnold takes a big step forward the Jets could be successful, but I don't think Gase has established himself as being anywhere near as good a HC as Pedersen, McVay, Reich, or even Nagy.

Hmm. I have also predicted that the Jets will beat in their home opener. But with all the injuries and suspensions they have had, I am starting to think that we can pull it off.

I personally think that Darnold is the real deal. Leveon Bell WAS elite, but who knows what he'll be like with a new team? Adam Gase is a decent offensive coordinator and Greg Williams is a decent defensive coordinator. Neither are great, but both can get the job done. They will eventually implode, but the Jets will get a few good games out of them, and something tells me week 1 will be one of those games.

But we'll see. I think the Bills will have a mostly good year regardless. Beating the Jets week 1 would be great.

3 hours ago, CNY315 said:

This is how I feel about the team in general. I get fans being excited about the moves their teams have made and being confident, as I am, but the Bills and Jets were 6-10 and 4-12 respectively. Any of us saying "we should beat" anybody before the first game is funny.

I notice that your post ignores the CURRENT state of the two teams. Based upon what I have seen, there is no reason to state unequivocally that you can't make an assessment on the Week 1 matchup. You might as well not post anything then, since we aren't allowed to assess and make a prediction... no reason to comment since nobody knows anything, right?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, if Darnold takes a big step forward the Jets could be successful, but I don't think Gase has established himself as being anywhere near as good a HC as Pedersen, McVay, Reich, or even Nagy.

Also for the Eagles they had Schwartz as the DC

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

If Darnold is considerably better than Allen, which is the opinion of many football analysts, then it could be a long afternoon. 

Even IF this was true they’re not playing tennis there’s other people on the field 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, eball said:

I didn't realize Adam Gase had established himself as a good head coach to begin with. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Hello, all! Visiting Jet fan here ...

After reading predictions here, they span the usual gamut of conservative/pessimistic to irrational (just like on the Jet boards I frequent.) It IS interesting to me to learn more about how you guys view your team, and where there is progress and where there are concerns. From my less informed perspective, you guys are at least a year ahead of the Jets in terms of emerging from the Dark Ages. Having the front office in place, drafting competently, signing but not reaching on free agents - you guys are doing much better/further along in the culture building process.  The Jets "may" be heading in the right direction - unfortunately, it takes time to tell if it's going well or if it's going to be another sh*t show.

Starting talent wise, I think the teams are fairly well matched - with both teams having hopes for their QB's - and trying to get some talent around them and to protect them. You have a distinct advantage by being in the second year of your coaching regime: I think it's really underrated how being able to start a year in an established offensive and defensive system propels a team closer to achievement, and you are deeper. The Jets are paper thin (or bereft) at key positions like CB.

The only factor I would say is being underestimated is that the previous Jets coaching staff (other than special teams) was just HORRENDOUS. Everything from game management to evaluation of talent to scheme to whatever - just maddening. Frustrating as a fan. The previous Jet GM - Mr. Coffee - let our only two Pro Bowl players walk (I believe you guys have Roberts - he's a keeper) as part of his "strategy" of improving the team, being a cheap skate when he had cap money to burn (because we had so few players drafted over the past five years who were worth resigning to second contracts - almost none.) 

So short and simple, whatever talent the Jets had was poorly coached and utilized - so you may see some guys deployed in ways that maximize their talents - which for us Jet fans is a novelty. We lost a lot of games last year in the fourth quarter by playing "not to lose." (I think we had one game last year where we got a "delay of game" penalty on the first offensive play right after receiving the kickoff - it was enough to get you to switch to hard liquor from beer even before eating at halftime.) Whatever talent there is on the team was badly under-coached. We shall see if our previously mediocre guys start actually looking like NFL players.

So - in summary - good luck, no injuries, and I think we are seeing two teams emerge from some dark years. (I'm 60+ and started my years of masochism in the early 70's.)  I think we can always agree with the sentiment "Anyone but the Cheatriots." I live in VT, and God, do I want to see the NE fan base suffer - for decades. They are insufferable, especially the younger bandwagon types.  An example of how I feel comes from one Jet board poster, who when asked by another contributor if the intro press conference of Joe Douglass, our new GM, was "a success", responded with "Well, since he didn't reach down and pull Brady's severed head out of a canvas bag, I'd say no." :) 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 12

1 hour ago, Vod Kanockers said:

Compare the rosters between this years Jets and the teams you listed. I’m pretty sure they’re not in the same ballpark. Also, I’m pretty sure the Colts were something like 1-5 before turning it around last season. (With a veteran QB) Sometimes the pieces are already in place and only need the coach to bring things together. I’m pretty sure this is not the case with the ‘19 Jets. 

I responded to a poster who claimed that the Bills being 3 years with the same coach gave them a significant advantage over the Jets because Gase was in his first year.  I didn't predict them to make the playoffs.  If Gase has become a better HC than he was in Miami, and if the Jets off-season moves pay dividends there's no reason that the Jets can't win several more games than they did last season and possibly make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Actually, Pedersen, McVay, Reich, and Nagy were all totally unproven when they were hired.  That Gase failed in his first HC gig doesn't mean that he'll never be a good HC.

15 hours ago, syhuang said:

Few other posts from JetsNation regarding game 1:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/145864-ot-bills-mitch-morse/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4161096

I think they are confused about which QB was turnover prone coming out of college.

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

I responded to a poster who claimed that the Bills being 3 years with the same coach gave them a significant advantage over the Jets because Gase was in his first year.  I didn't predict them to make the playoffs.  If Gase has become a better HC than he was in Miami, and if the Jets off-season moves pay dividends there's no reason that the Jets can't win several more games than they did last season and possibly make the playoffs. 

Actually, Pedersen, McVay, Reich, and Nagy were all totally unproven when they were hired.  That Gase failed in his first HC gig doesn't mean that he'll never be a good HC.

I think both teams will be improved from last year.  The Bills are vastly improved and will be an almost unstoppable force by week 6.  

As far as the Jets go, the offseason and preseason have not been kind.

24-13 Bills will be the result.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The great myth of Gregg Williams and his incredible pressure defense persists.  He was innovative and bold, years ago.  He is just recycling his old schemes.  Plenty of tape out there on old Gregg and his defense.

Is Greg Williams the next Rex Ryan, which is: Irrelevant ???

10 hours ago, VTBman said:

Hello, all! Visiting Jet fan here ...

After reading predictions here, they span the usual gamut of conservative/pessimistic to irrational (just like on the Jet boards I frequent.) It IS interesting to me to learn more about how you guys view your team, and where there is progress and where there are concerns. From my less informed perspective, you guys are at least a year ahead of the Jets in terms of emerging from the Dark Ages. Having the front office in place, drafting competently, signing but not reaching on free agents - you guys are doing much better/further along in the culture building process.  The Jets "may" be heading in the right direction - unfortunately, it takes time to tell if it's going well or if it's going to be another sh*t show.

Starting talent wise, I think the teams are fairly well matched - with both teams having hopes for their QB's - and trying to get some talent around them and to protect them. You have a distinct advantage by being in the second year of your coaching regime: I think it's really underrated how being able to start a year in an established offensive and defensive system propels a team closer to achievement, and you are deeper. The Jets are paper thin (or bereft) at key positions like CB.

The only factor I would say is being underestimated is that the previous Jets coaching staff (other than special teams) was just HORRENDOUS. Everything from game management to evaluation of talent to scheme to whatever - just maddening. Frustrating as a fan. The previous Jet GM - Mr. Coffee - let our only two Pro Bowl players walk (I believe you guys have Roberts - he's a keeper) as part of his "strategy" of improving the team, being a cheap skate when he had cap money to burn (because we had so few players drafted over the past five years who were worth resigning to second contracts - almost none.) 

So short and simple, whatever talent the Jets had was poorly coached and utilized - so you may see some guys deployed in ways that maximize their talents - which for us Jet fans is a novelty. We lost a lot of games last year in the fourth quarter by playing "not to lose." (I think we had one game last year where we got a "delay of game" penalty on the first offensive play right after receiving the kickoff - it was enough to get you to switch to hard liquor from beer even before eating at halftime.) Whatever talent there is on the team was badly under-coached. We shall see if our previously mediocre guys start actually looking like NFL players.

So - in summary - good luck, no injuries, and I think we are seeing two teams emerge from some dark years. (I'm 60+ and started my years of masochism in the early 70's.)  I think we can always agree with the sentiment "Anyone but the Cheatriots." I live in VT, and God, do I want to see the NE fan base suffer - for decades. They are insufferable, especially the younger bandwagon types.  An example of how I feel comes from one Jet board poster, who when asked by another contributor if the intro press conference of Joe Douglass, our new GM, was "a success", responded with "Well, since he didn't reach down and pull Brady's severed head out of a canvas bag, I'd say no." :) 

An intelligent Jets fan, thanks for checking in and adding to the quality of our our board.

• Haha (+1) 1