From Jet Nation: Wk 1 gameplan

saundena

Jets are still lacking at the most important parts of defense in NFL today - ability to generate edge pressure in a 4 man rush and overall CB play.  This will be their downfall all year.  Bringing extra players to generate pressure will really hurt secondary with coverage issues already.  

And they will be missing 2 starting LBs and TE for opener.  

Pick 'em game in my eyes.

It's honestly one of the more reasonable discussions I've ever read from an opposition's message board.

Points various posters have made over there: The Jets need to bring well disguised coverages to confuse Allen, they need to get him on the move by bringing pressure up the middle and forcing him to make difficult throws across his body, they need to pay big attention to Cole Beasley, they might need to spy Allen...all pretty reasonable to me. Various people have also admitted that their corners stink and that their run game may be slow to wake up with a few new o-linemen and a rusty Le'veon Bell.

I mean, sure, there's the usual dose of homerish enthusiasm over there, but find me a football message board that ISN'T optimistic about their team this time of year. All in all, I find MOST of the discussion to be pretty reasonable. There's some silliness, sure, but more reasoned football discussion than I would have expected.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Must be so easy to be a Jests fan. What do we do when we want to encourage our offense? Spell the team name! Our D needs a stop? Spell the team name! Where do we play our games? In another state!

I’m surprised that half of them can spell a four-letter word....

1 hour ago, saundena said:

Me, I'm concerned with big Q and their stout D line making is too one dimensional early in the game (bottling the run and flustering Josh).  

What do you make of this?

http://NFL.com/news/story0ap300001043285/article/2019-nfl-preseason-training-camp-surprises-for-all-32-teams

the biggest surprise may be that no.3 overall pick Quinnen Williams isn't projected to start. Connor Hughes of The Athletic writes that Williams attempts to start at nose tackle didn't take so he'll rotate as a backup at defensive end to start the season.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

What do you make of this?

NFL.com/news/story0ap300001043285/article/2019-nfl-preseason-training-camp-surprises-for-all-32-teams

the biggest surprise may be that no.3 overall pick Quinnen Williams isn't projected to start. Connor Hughes of The Athletic writes that Williams attempts to start at nose tackle didn't take so he'll rotate as a backup at defensive end to start the season.

Thats very interesting to say the least 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

It means they view it as a pick em on a neutral field...which this game is not. Vegas is scary good at what they do which means we are more likely than not to lose...per vegas.

They also have them winning more games than we do over the course of the season. So if we are trusting Vegas, we should be worried.

I am not.

For the umpteenth time...Vegas lines are not based upon who the oddsmakers think will win or even statistical probabilities...they are established in the hopes of attracting equal money on each side of the bet so that the house "wins" 5-10%.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I think that perhaps the most significant aspect that both sides are overlooking is the fact that this will be year 3 for Buffalo (2 for JA) in the same system. 

For the Jests to think that they’ll just be hitting on all cylinders come opening day year 1 on both O and D, might be misleading...

Not all teams take year to get their acts together under new coaching regimes.  The Bears won 12 games last season under new HC Matt Nagy after winning only 5 in 2017.   The Colts won 10 games last season under new HC  Frank Reich after winning only 4 games the previous season.   The Rams made the playoffs in their first season under McVay and made the Super Bowl in his second.  The Eagles won the Super Bowl in Pedersen's second season.

Edited by SoTier
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, saundena said:

Thought I'd share this with everyone.  Most of their posters seem to sense a Jet victory (no surprise there), but there is healthy respect for our D, Beasley and even a few who are worried about how to stop Josh (ie using a spy opens up the field for big plays).

They also acknowledged their atrocious secondary.

Me, I'm concerned with big Q and their stout D line making is too one dimensional early in the game (bottling the run and flustering Josh).  I also like Darnold a lot and worry that he can pick us apart with short throws which in the best case scenario will keep drives alive, tire our D and help their field position.  We seemed so awful last year giving up big completions on 3rd and 6+.

Anyway here it is:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/146258-jets-bills-can-we-start-talking-game-plan-yet/

You see how quick the ball has been coming out.  Expect a heavy dose of screens with 2 of their starting LBers out in order to nuetralise their D line.  We also got a bit bigger and meaner up front.  The days of a soft middle and an inconsistant Mills are gone.

I think the Jets games will be a coin flip, we are about even. 

Darnold is good but to me he looks like he doesn't have a whole lot of room to improve, like he is already close to his ceiling

I could see their defense and Dline giving Josh trouble, but Beasley should help getting ball out quick.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, eball said:

For the umpteenth time...Vegas lines are not based upon who the oddsmakers think will win or even statistical probabilities...they are established in the hopes of attracting equal money on each side of the bet so that the house "wins" 5-10%.

Yea thats true of course. But its not that Vegas *really* thinks were going to win 9 games but setting it at 5.5-6 will get equal money. In a scenario like setting total teams over/under before a season the line has to be set very close to true value.

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

This is what I am really excited about seeing in week 1. I'm a big Josh Allen fan. But, until he handles it, he hasn't handled it.

Honestly, the least of my worries about Allen is how to handle the pass rush.....esp., w/ Beasley, better TE’s and having a year under his belt. I never felt Allen’s issues last season were how he handled pressure but stemmed from the total lack of talent surrounding him.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I think that perhaps the most significant aspect that both sides are overlooking is the fact that this will be year 3 for Buffalo (2 for JA) in the same system. 

For the Jests to think that they’ll just be hitting on all cylinders come opening day year 1 on both O and D, might be misleading...

That’s not always a positive, that means theres 32 games worth of film on our schemes and none on theirs

Edited by uticaclub

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't get how anyone could look at these two teams and think the Jets are going to keep up. Darnold will have 2 ints before half and we will win by at least 14.

This is honestly how I feel. Their defense is in sooooo much trouble.  Their line has some talent, but not thatttt much. If Josh shows even a modicum of improvement from last year, we are gonna put up points. 

Our defense is stout.  Their line is still full of holes, and their WRs are average.  

AND, they have a new head coach and a new system. 

The odds are crazy stacked against them. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

This is not hard to figure out. Buffalo is going to beat the Jets week 1. Sure they'll have to deal with the home team energy s\urge of a season opener. But IMO JA's head is in a great place and it is cooler than the veggies in your crisper.

The Jets are a mess with injuries and suspensions. They'll get season opener home team momentum but the Bills will finish the game stronger and take the crowd out of it

Jets fans are merely convincing themselves it going to be ok. But they are doing so curled up in a fetal position and rocking back and forth and mumbling it. 

Hey is his name Bennie by chance, Bennie the Jet

He won the bean eating contest, right next door to Nathan's.  Never sit behind, or downwind of him!  Leaves a BIG carbon footprint too!

2 hours ago, Logic said:

It's honestly one of the more reasonable discussions I've ever read from an opposition's message board.

Points various posters have made over there: The Jets need to bring well disguised coverages to confuse Allen, they need to get him on the move by bringing pressure up the middle and forcing him to make difficult throws across his body, they need to pay big attention to Cole Beasley, they might need to spy Allen...all pretty reasonable to me. Various people have also admitted that their corners stink and that their run game may be slow to wake up with a few new o-linemen and a rusty Le'veon Bell.

I mean, sure, there's the usual dose of homerish enthusiasm over there, but find me a football message board that ISN'T optimistic about their team this time of year. All in all, I find MOST of the discussion to be pretty reasonable. There's some silliness, sure, but more reasoned football discussion than I would have expected.

Agreed.  Gregg-o's D is actually decent at confusing and bullying weak and/or inexperienced QBs.  That's basically ALL it's good at doing.  Josh is going to get some weird and difficult looks right out of the gate.  Hopefully he's up to the challenge but it's possible we don't see him really thrive until midseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Jets fans aren't really aware of how the Bills have improved.  And honestly I have no idea how the Jets might have improved.  Adding Bell and Kalil sounds very good.

I'm not doing any smack talking, just looking forward to a real game with actual game planning against the other guys' best players.

• Like (+1) 1