From Jet Nation: Wk 1 gameplan

saundena

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except that the moneyline on that prop bets keeps getting worse. Right now it's -180 on the over. So the number of wins predicted stays the same. But the payouts on the over gets less and less attractive because too much money is going there.

Yea I saw we have the most money on the over in the NFL. I do think Vegas got us wrong, 7 likely would have been a better line.

14 hours ago, VTBman said:

Hello, all! Visiting Jet fan here ...

After reading predictions here, they span the usual gamut of conservative/pessimistic to irrational (just like on the Jet boards I frequent.) It IS interesting to me to learn more about how you guys view your team, and where there is progress and where there are concerns. From my less informed perspective, you guys are at least a year ahead of the Jets in terms of emerging from the Dark Ages. Having the front office in place, drafting competently, signing but not reaching on free agents - you guys are doing much better/further along in the culture building process.  The Jets "may" be heading in the right direction - unfortunately, it takes time to tell if it's going well or if it's going to be another sh*t show.

Starting talent wise, I think the teams are fairly well matched - with both teams having hopes for their QB's - and trying to get some talent around them and to protect them. You have a distinct advantage by being in the second year of your coaching regime: I think it's really underrated how being able to start a year in an established offensive and defensive system propels a team closer to achievement, and you are deeper. The Jets are paper thin (or bereft) at key positions like CB.

The only factor I would say is being underestimated is that the previous Jets coaching staff (other than special teams) was just HORRENDOUS. Everything from game management to evaluation of talent to scheme to whatever - just maddening. Frustrating as a fan. The previous Jet GM - Mr. Coffee - let our only two Pro Bowl players walk (I believe you guys have Roberts - he's a keeper) as part of his "strategy" of improving the team, being a cheap skate when he had cap money to burn (because we had so few players drafted over the past five years who were worth resigning to second contracts - almost none.) 

So short and simple, whatever talent the Jets had was poorly coached and utilized - so you may see some guys deployed in ways that maximize their talents - which for us Jet fans is a novelty. We lost a lot of games last year in the fourth quarter by playing "not to lose." (I think we had one game last year where we got a "delay of game" penalty on the first offensive play right after receiving the kickoff - it was enough to get you to switch to hard liquor from beer even before eating at halftime.) Whatever talent there is on the team was badly under-coached. We shall see if our previously mediocre guys start actually looking like NFL players.

So - in summary - good luck, no injuries, and I think we are seeing two teams emerge from some dark years. (I'm 60+ and started my years of masochism in the early 70's.)  I think we can always agree with the sentiment "Anyone but the Cheatriots." I live in VT, and God, do I want to see the NE fan base suffer - for decades. They are insufferable, especially the younger bandwagon types.  An example of how I feel comes from one Jet board poster, who when asked by another contributor if the intro press conference of Joe Douglass, our new GM, was "a success", responded with "Well, since he didn't reach down and pull Brady's severed head out of a canvas bag, I'd say no." :) 

Thanks for your post.  I think the Jets have some real talent being built.  It’s not finished to be sure, but there are definitely more pieces in place than a lot of teams.  You’ve got that going for you.  In particular I am interested to see how Darnold develops (surprise, surprise).  

What I don’t like is your FO and coaching staff.  I don’t think it was wise to invest so much cap space into a RB and an ILB that excels against the run.  They’re definitely excellent players and Bell will help in the passing game as an outlet, but I do not see those positions as deserving so much money (except LBs that cover particularly well in addition to playing the run well).

I’m not a big believer in Gase and I despise Gregg Williams’ defensive scheme.  I am a Cleveland native and now live in Buffalo so I’ve seen plenty of Greggg.  And he brought his son with him which makes things much worse.  While Greggg is abrasive, his issue is his stubborn adherence to a scheme that doesn’t work anymore - at least not against good offenses.  His son is a real problem though.  He is apparently not only a huge a-hole but a completely incompetent coach.  Sorry.  That’s the word from the Browns.

Again, thanks for stopping by and being polite.  I didn’t really mean to rip on your team as much as I did (though I haven’t been easy on the Bills and Browns in the past).  I think they’ve got real building blocks there - especially if Darnold hits - and that you’ll do decently this season (.500ish).  You just need to flip your brass to the right group to get to the playoffs. 

15 hours ago, VTBman said:

After reading predictions here, they span the usual gamut of conservative/pessimistic to irrational (just like on the Jet boards I frequent.) It IS interesting to me to learn more about how you guys view your team, and where there is progress and where there are concerns. From my less informed perspective, you guys are at least a year ahead of the Jets in terms of emerging from the Dark Ages. Having the front office in place, drafting competently, signing but not reaching on free agents - you guys are doing much better/further along in the culture building process.  The Jets "may" be heading in the right direction - unfortunately, it takes time to tell if it's going well or if it's going to be another sh*t show.

Starting talent wise, I think the teams are fairly well matched - with both teams having hopes for their QB's - and trying to get some talent around them and to protect them. You have a distinct advantage by being in the second year of your coaching regime: I think it's really underrated how being able to start a year in an established offensive and defensive system propels a team closer to achievement, and you are deeper. The Jets are paper thin (or bereft) at key positions like CB.

The only factor I would say is being underestimated is that the previous Jets coaching staff (other than special teams) was just HORRENDOUS. Everything from game management to evaluation of talent to scheme to whatever - just maddening. Frustrating as a fan. The previous Jet GM - Mr. Coffee - let our only two Pro Bowl players walk (I believe you guys have Roberts - he's a keeper) as part of his "strategy" of improving the team, being a cheap skate when he had cap money to burn (because we had so few players drafted over the past five years who were worth resigning to second contracts - almost none.) 

So short and simple, whatever talent the Jets had was poorly coached and utilized - so you may see some guys deployed in ways that maximize their talents - which for us Jet fans is a novelty. We lost a lot of games last year in the fourth quarter by playing "not to lose." (I think we had one game last year where we got a "delay of game" penalty on the first offensive play right after receiving the kickoff - it was enough to get you to switch to hard liquor from beer even before eating at halftime.) Whatever talent there is on the team was badly under-coached. We shall see if our previously mediocre guys start actually looking like NFL players.

So - in summary - good luck, no injuries, and I think we are seeing two teams emerge from some dark years. (I'm 60+ and started my years of masochism in the early 70's.)  I think we can always agree with the sentiment "Anyone but the Cheatriots." I live in VT, and God, do I want to see the NE fan base suffer - for decades. They are insufferable, especially the younger bandwagon types.  An example of how I feel comes from one Jet board poster, who when asked by another contributor if the intro press conference of Joe Douglass, our new GM, was "a success", responded with "Well, since he didn't reach down and pull Brady's severed head out of a canvas bag, I'd say no." :) 

I agree pretty much across the board - Terrible GM and Bowles didn't have it. 

I just worry that Adam Gase doesn't either - his time in Miami was not a success and he's never been the offensive guru that he claims to be.  Not to mention we played Miami the last 2 years in week 17, and not only did the team seem checked out - so did Gase.  The list of candidates they interviewed was incredibly uninspiring, but they didn't get Mike McCarthy so I guess that's a positive.  

I also hate the position they put their GM in, not letting him factor into the coaching search/roster building as he was hired months after FA and the Draft. 

I agree with the poster who said it will be fun to watch. Allen vs Darnold, maybe a first glimpse and a preview of the next ten years in the AFC East. 

I think they may be under estimating our run game, including the short passing game to RBs. I expect a close game.

21 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I get what it means dude... it means its 2 evenly matched teams with them giving the slight edge to home team. so their fans talking like its gonna be a romp is foolish.

Also, week 1 is very difficult to handicap. By week 3 or 4 they will be a lot more on point. Week 1 though, way too much different from previous year and add in the public sways. 

I dont think much much of the Jets. Feel like it’s a 65% chance Bills win. Maybe 66%. ? 

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

Also, week 1 is very difficult to handicap. By week 3 or 4 they will be a lot more on point. Week 1 though, way too much different from previous year and add in the public sways. 

I dont think much much of the Jets. Feel like it’s a 65% chance Bills win. Maybe 66%. ? 

I think we end up with a better record than the jets this year but i'm gonna give them the edge week 1. not a big edge, but a slight one..... if I had to put a number on it i'd say 45% confident in a bills win week 1.

40 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm worried mostly about Bell and Darnold. Bell has had our number so far, and I really hope our Run D is at the point where they can contain him.

I know everyone is down on him because of the one-year layoff, but he's healthy and should be fresh.

He also just got paid big $$$ ... He may not give his  best effort anymore.

Darnold is a turnover machine, not worried about him.

Edited by frostbitmic

18 hours ago, VTBman said:

Great first post!

I agree with a lot of what you said. 

Adam Gase is a big old open book, as far as I'm concerned. It is entirely possible that he gets more out of some Jets players that were "wasted" under the previous regime. It is also possible that he shows more of what he showed in Miami: a consistently .500 level of football, a proclivity for certain players to either tune him out or go to the press about their frustrations, and a below average offense despite his pedigree as an offensive genius. Time will tell. It's simple to me: If Gase turns out to be a good coach, and the Miami stint was an aberration, then the Jets will be really good immediately. If he proves to be the guy we all thought he was when he was with Miami, they'll be just good enough to eek out Wild Card spots but not good enough to be elite. The Jets have the QB in place, they have some weapons, they have some cornerstone defensive players...it's all about the coach.

Welcome to the boards! I've started posting over at JetsNation as JoshAllenSZN (which is an admittedly obnoxious screenname), in an effort to talk some X's and O's with the opposition in a productive fashion. I quite like most of the people I've encountered over there so far!

Hope you stick around. Enjoy the season!

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I think they're right in that their DLine vs our OLine will have the largest impact on the game. I like Darnold, and he can consistently move the chains. I expect a close game. If we lose, I'll be devastated. And TBD will be doom and gloom. 

I expect a close game too. My rule of thumb is that if both teams fans consider themselves the likely winners then the teams are probably close to being evenly matched. I'm sure there are Jets fans over there who don't understand our team and simply scoff at the idea that the Bills could even compete with a 52.8% Qb, a concussed center, a Wr less sure handed than Zay Jones, and a slot receiver.