Chung Indicted

H2o

Just looked up cocaine laws in NH. This is some bad juju. Hope he's got a good lawyer and a judge who's a Patriots season ticket holder.

New Hampshire has some of the toughest drug laws in the country, with the possibility of prison for possession of any amount of cocaine. New Hampshire is one of only a few states that still has tougher sentencing guidelines for crack cocaine than for powder. The state offers alternatives to prison for non-violent drug offenders who agree to undergo treatment and regular monitoring during a probationary period.

See FindLaw's Drug Chargessection for more articles.

Code Section 318-B:1, et seq.
Possession Possession of any amount -- unless intent to distribute is determined -- charged as a Class B felony (up to 7 yrs. and/or up to $2,000 fine); charged as Class A felony for second offense (up to 15 yrs. and/or $4,000 fine)
Sale/Trafficking
  • Less than .5 oz: up to 7 yrs. and/or $100,000 fine (up to 15 yrs. and/or $200,000 fine for 2nd offense)
  • More than .5 oz. but less than 5 oz.: up to 20 yrs. and/or $300,000 fine (up to 40 yrs. and/or $400,000 fine for 2nd offense)
  • More than 5 oz.: 30 yrs. and/or $500,000 fine (up to life in prison and/or $500,000 for 2nd offense)
Crack Cocaine Less than 1g: up to 7 yrs. and/or $100,000 fine; more than 1g but less than 5g: up 40 yrs. and/or $500,000 fine; more than 5g: up to life imprisonment and/or $500,000 fine

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Call me soft, but I think it should be a misdemeanor. Our drug laws are nuts. If it's his first offense, he shouldn't sit at all. Not sure if it is, of course.

Anyway, that Bills team in the late 1980s was pretty out of control. Let's not forget that.

I could see the misdeameanor charge in general.  But it continually amazes me how an employer (the NFL) sets rules and policies for its employees (the players) and when the employee breaks the rules it somehow the employer's fault.  Like Brown and the crap about his helmet.

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If TMZ existed now, Kelly would have been suspended multiple times.  Reading Relentless, I think there was a huge cocaine nfl investigation involving Jim and I believe Bruce.  

Glass houses.

I have no doubt Kelly and Smith would have been in deep doo doo if we had the 24/7 media crush then as we have now.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is why no models live in NH. 

This is also a cautionary tale about installing home alarm systems that automatically notify the police. It's an engraved invitation for law enforcement to check out your crib.

That said, the local paper here are saying that the NFL will likely not act until they issue go to trial and Chung will likely not miss any games this year. That's Judge Goodell for you. The scales of justice always tilt towards Foxboro.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Im not going to go over this with you forwver. If you dont understand then I give up. If the police respond to a burglary alarm they already have consent to search due to the contract you sign. If they enter your house and find Cocaine they cant turn a blind eye to that. When you sign the contract with a security company entrance and search by police is part of the contract. If that is in your contract then hide your drugs better. Once illegal activity of any sorts is known a search warrant will be issued. Is that clear enough for you? 

This is correct. If the people on the contact list dont asnwer the phone when the alarm company calls, it is not considered a false alarm. Police have probable cause to enter the house. They cannot use that probable cause to go through drawers and boxes looking for contraband but if it is out in the open then the Police can act on it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

Something is off here. The alarm goes off and the police respond to the house. Was the house vacant? How did they get in? Were the doors and window locked? What was so suspicious about this situation that made them enter the house without permission? The police respond to alarms all the time. What they usually do after a cursory outside check is notify the owners, not enter the premises. Just because he owns the home doesn't mean that you can presume that the drugs are his. Does anyone else use the house? Something is off here. I wouldn't be surprised that after his attorney gets involved this case will be dismissed. 

Chung may have a bigger problem with the league than he does with the legal authorities. 

If the house was open the police would go in. If the house is secure from the outside,  you don't stick around.

Coke in plain view? I hope the police had a body cam.  If not there would seem to be plenty of room for reasonable doubt.

13 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

This is correct. If the people on the contact list dont asnwer the phone when the alarm company calls, it is not considered a false alarm. Police have probable cause to enter the house. They cannot use that probable cause to go through drawers and boxes looking for contraband but if it is out in the open then the Police can act on it. 

Thanks. That all said this would be my defense.  I wasnt home and my alarm went off presumably because someone went in and planted the substance. Not guilty.

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If the house was open the police would go in. If the house is secure from the outside,  you don't stick around.

Coke in plain view? I hope the police had a body cam.  If not there would seem to be plenty of room for reasonable doubt.

Agreed. If he doesnt plead guilty this is really wide open for him to get off if it was just laying in plain view. Especially since the alarm was the reason for entry. 

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Thanks. That all said this would be my defense.  I wasnt home and my alarm went off presumably because someone went in and planted the substance. Not guilty.

Having a defense and a successful defense are different.  Why do you think this would work?

5 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Agreed. If he doesnt plead guilty this is really wide open for him to get off if it was just laying in plain view. Especially since the alarm was the reason for entry. 

If Chung is lucky he was renting the house or letting a friend stay there and it is on them. If he is unlucky, his fingerprints would be on it. 

2 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

If Chung is lucky he was renting the house or letting a friend stay there and it is on them. If he is unlucky, his fingerprints would be on it. 

Yeah hopefully he wasnt licking his fingers to clean up the rest of the mirror :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

As you suggested there is room for reasonable doubt. Right now we don't have enough information on this case. A lot of people made assumptions in the Kraft sex case that also presented some problematic issues. That case quickly disintegrated after his lawyers got involved. Chung is not going to be using public defenders to defend himself. The attorneys he will use will be high caliber and expensive. 

Every jurisdiction is different. I'm confident that in the DC system if you brought them this possession case with what little we know about it they would not act on it. 

3 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

That sounds like the screenplay for a ‘crooked cop’ movie.  “Hey, I left a pound of coke on the counter while I ran out to the liquor store...it’s gone!”