I know it's early, but the Bills 2019 draft looks like an absolute slam dunk

Logic

37 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Does it invalidate the criticism of your post if you know it’s coming and say it before they do?

Maybe not, but it does make said poster look foolish under the circumstances.

Go Bills!!!

Mahomes wouldn't be the same player if the Bills had drafted him and surrounded him with the below average offense we had.  Mahomes is thriving in KC because, first of all he's really really good, and second because he's in a great situation, and third because he got to sit his entire rookie year and learn the game.  

If the Bills had drafted him, we wouldn't have White, and we wouldn't have Allen.  And we'd have a frustrated Mahomes nearing the end of his rookie contract, thinking about free agency and dollar signs and joining a contender.

I think overall this is shaping up to be a win-win.  Give it time.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

I was just reading an article about Darryl Johnson and how the Bills likely won't even have the luxury of stashing him on the practice squad this year because he's just been too impressive. Ditto Tommy Sweeney. When was the last time TWO 7th round picks not only made the opening day roster, but made big contributions in their rookie years?

Obviously, we have to see these guys play for a few years before we can declare any draft class a success. With that caveat out of the way, it appears at this early stage as though Beane knocked this draft out of the park.

Oliver and Ford look to be fixtures in the trenches for years to come. Singletary and Knox BOTH look like steals in the third round, and I expect both to be the #1 on the depth chart at their positions by next season. Tommy Sweeney and Darryl Johnson from the 7th round, as mentioned, look like legitimate NFL starters. Jaquan Johnson has looked good in limited action as a depth safety. Seems like a very smart player. That leaves only Vosean Joseph. As it is, it seems probable that he will make the roster and contribute on special teams this year, and he certainly has the talent to be a contributor on defense next year. I figure he'll follow the same career path as last year's 5th round pick, Siran Neal. Even if he doesn't though, it looks like the Bills hit on 7 out of 8 picks, at minimum. That's OUTSTANDING!

If these types of draft classes continue, bright times are ahead for Buffalo.

This is the only part I don't understand. He hasn't done anything yet. Sweeny at least got on the field. Ford is probably going to be a great guard, but is that as big of a win if they wanted a RT? Beware the Peterman Preseason Hype. 

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Obviously some incredibly "wise" poster is going to strongly admonish us for not waiting until after all these guys retire to really determine if they were any good

I will not admonish you or anyone else for it but I would not be astonished to see it happen. Somebody will project their miserable day on us all unfortunately. :)

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The pick I'm still most skeptical about is Singletary. I'm not sure he has the speed to separate from NFL defenders. I like what he's shown in the pass game but the early comparisons to a young Shady don't seem correct to me. Shady would never let a 2nd string d-lineman tackle his ankles as he tried to turn the corner.

Thank you! I'm also very concerned that this was a poor pick. I think we'll find out soon enough because it doesn't take RB's long to show what they're about.

Overall, I think it was a solid draft. But along with Singletary, I'm concerned about Knox. Very early to judge, but those are the two guys I'm concerned about.

Love Oliver, like Ford, love Joseph in the fifth, very intrigued by Johnson so late in the draft. No strong opinions on the other draftees.

Edited by LSHMEAB

36 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This is the only part I don't understand. He hasn't done anything yet. Sweeny at least got on the field. Ford is probably going to be a great guard, but is that as big of a win if they wanted a RT? Beware the Peterman Preseason Hype. 

I don't blame anyone one iota if they want to see more from Knox before believing he'll be a good player. I mean, he literally hasn't suited up for a single down of NFL football yet.

I'm admittedly an eternal optimist, but I happen to think he's going to be very, very good. I thought so before the draft, I was THRILLED when the Bills traded ahead of the Pats to pick him, and I was not surprised when he was tearing up camp prior to his injury. He and Sweeney are going to form an excellent 1-2 punch for the next several years in Buffalo.

But again, I fully understand why people would want me to #PumpTheBrakes on Knox.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

But along with Singletary, I'm concerned about Knox. Very early to judge, but those are the two guys I'm concerned about.

I'm actually very optimistic about Knox. He's an athletic freak and blocks very well in the run game. He had no role at Ole Miss, a terrible QB, and a bunch of NFL receivers around him. He was already developing good chemistry with Allen early in OTAs before the injury. I see him having a bigger year than people think.

16 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

The Buffalo Bills. Winning the offseason since 2006. :thumbsup:

Short term memory. Every year after the draft it was the best draft ever and I cant remember the last time the Bills had a great draft, etc. It is the "we dont know yet, so these guys are all great" concept. Then if they suck in a couple years the cycle repeats "this years draft is so much better than two years ago". Yes there have been some sucky drafts but in the moment many hyped up how great they were before they knew they sucked. There were also some good drafts that get forgotten or spun as not so good or just were not good here. 

Looking at some of the old drafts...

2007 - Lynch, Poz and Edwards, three starters at key positions.

2009 - Wood, Byrd, Levitre

2011 - Dareus, Williams, Shepperd, Searcy

2012 - Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham

2013 - Woods, Alonso, Goodwin

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Short term memory. Every year after the draft it was the best draft ever and I cant remember the last time the Bills had a great draft, etc. It is the "we dont know yet, so these guys are all great" concept. Then if they suck in a couple years the cycle repeats "this years draft is so much better than two years ago". Yes there have been some sucky drafts but in the moment many hyped up how great they were before they knew they sucked. There were also some good drafts that get forgotten or spun as not so good or just were not good here. 

Looking at some of the old drafts...

2007 - Lynch, Poz and Edwards, three starters at key positions.

2009 - Wood, Byrd, Levitre

2011 - Dareus, Williams, Shepperd, Searcy

2012 - Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham

2013 - Woods, Alonso, Goodwin

It’s funny how much we talk about how bad the Bills are at drafting but those are some good drafts.  This team would have been good if they ever could find a franchise qb.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny how much we talk about how bad the Bills are at drafting but those are some good drafts.  This team would have been good if they ever could find a franchise qb.

Also super telling that we never held on to any of our talent.... when you’re floundering at QB, typically you’re floundering everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That is the truth of it all and still the truth. We all hope Josh is finally the guy. If not, it hardly matters how well we draft because we waste away that talent spinning our wheels finding a QB.