I know it's early, but the Bills 2019 draft looks like an absolute slam dunk

Logic

The pick I'm still most skeptical about is Singletary. I'm not sure he has the speed to separate from NFL defenders. I like what he's shown in the pass game but the early comparisons to a young Shady don't seem correct to me. Shady would never let a 2nd string d-lineman tackle his ankles as he tried to turn the corner.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

The pick I'm still most skeptical about is Singletary. I'm not sure he has the speed to separate from NFL defenders. I like what he's shown in the pass game but the early comparisons to a young Shady don't seem correct to me. Shady would never let a 2nd string d-lineman tackle his ankles as he tried to turn the corner.

I would have went with Hakeem Butler (who did break his hand).  I feel like the Singletary pick wasn’t necessary, especially given how easy it is to find rbs now.  

But Oliver was my favorite pick in awhile.  The lack of production of Knox worries me but I’m fine with everything else.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have went with Hakeem Butler (who did break his hand). 

I hated Butler as a prospect. He has trouble separating and his hands are bad. His scouting report reads like Zay Jones. My mid-round receiver crush this year was Arcega-Whiteside.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I hated Butler as a prospect. He has trouble separating and his hands are bad. His scouting report reads like Zay Jones. My mid-round receiver crush this year was Arcega-Whiteside.

I like A-W but I thought he had problems separating too haha.  I just think a receiver with size would really compliment this receiving core.  

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When I look at the way Beane drafts....there seem to be a pattern in where he goes early as it goes to the concencus strong position of the draft.....

Year before last.....Josh Allen in a "QB draft"

Last draft....wen Oliver in a "DL draft"

Next Year....supposidly a "WR" draft

I realize we are talking about the 3rd round and not the 1st round in this conversation.....but maybe the plan is to use our 1st round pick on a pas catcher.....and this year we brought in Smoke and Beasley...improving the position even though we do not have a true number 1....maybe in the next draft?

The board continues to trend toward the "Super-Fans" perspective on everything. 

Just waiting for someone to chime in like Todd O'Connor and declare that the Bills will break Pittsburgh's record of drafting four HOFers in 1974 with 5 from the 2019 class. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I was just reading an article about Darryl Johnson and how the Bills likely won't even have the luxury of stashing him on the practice squad this year because he's just been too impressive. Ditto Tommy Sweeney. When was the last time TWO 7th round picks not only made the opening day roster, but made big contributions in their rookie years?

Obviously, we have to see these guys play for a few years before we can declare any draft class a success. With that caveat out of the way, it appears at this early stage as though Beane knocked this draft out of the park.

Oliver and Ford look to be fixtures in the trenches for years to come. Singletary and Knox BOTH look like steals in the third round, and I expect both to be the #1 on the depth chart at their positions by next season. Tommy Sweeney and Darryl Johnson from the 7th round, as mentioned, look like legitimate NFL starters. Jaquan Johnson has looked good in limited action as a depth safety. Seems like a very smart player. That leaves only Vosean Joseph. As it is, it seems probable that he will make the roster and contribute on special teams this year, and he certainly has the talent to be a contributor on defense next year. I figure he'll follow the same career path as last year's 5th round pick, Siran Neal. Even if he doesn't though, it looks like the Bills hit on 7 out of 8 picks, at minimum. That's OUTSTANDING!

If these types of draft classes continue, bright times are ahead for Buffalo.

Well said; looks like an excellent draft.

The last time I can remember that the Bills had drafted so well as the Bills have over the last few years was when Polian was here.  And this seems like the best coaching staff since then too.  Great signs for success this year and long term.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have went with Hakeem Butler (who did break his hand).  I feel like the Singletary pick wasn’t necessary, especially given how easy it is to find rbs now.  

But Oliver was my favorite pick in awhile.  The lack of production of Knox worries me but I’m fine with everything else.  

George Kittle 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/george-kittle-1.html

Dawson Knox

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dawson-knox-1.html

Basically only difference was in Tds. Ole Miss had a ton of talent at receiver so he wasnt targeted as much. But 15 avg? Yeah I'll take that anyday

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

George Kittle 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/george-kittle-1.html

Dawson Knox

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dawson-knox-1.html

Basically only difference was in Tds. Ole Miss had a ton of talent at receiver so he wasnt targeted as much. But 15 avg? Yeah I'll take that anyday

I mean 10 tds is a huge difference but point taken. Kittle seems like a huge outlier though but hopefully he is a hidden gem. 

4 hours ago, teef said:

i get the mahomes issue, but people are going to have to move on from it.  it's like you did something to your girlfriend/wife years ago, but she just keeps bringing up the one time you ***** something up so she can feel justified to be mad.  i guess what i'm getting at is that the people that keep harping about mahomes are little *****.

Oh, you are married too?

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I was just reading an article about Darryl Johnson and how the Bills likely won't even have the luxury of stashing him on the practice squad this year because he's just been too impressive. Ditto Tommy Sweeney. When was the last time TWO 7th round picks not only made the opening day roster, but made big contributions in their rookie years?

Obviously, we have to see these guys play for a few years before we can declare any draft class a success. With that caveat out of the way, it appears at this early stage as though Beane knocked this draft out of the park.

Oliver and Ford look to be fixtures in the trenches for years to come. Singletary and Knox BOTH look like steals in the third round, and I expect both to be the #1 on the depth chart at their positions by next season. Tommy Sweeney and Darryl Johnson from the 7th round, as mentioned, look like legitimate NFL starters. Jaquan Johnson has looked good in limited action as a depth safety. Seems like a very smart player. That leaves only Vosean Joseph. As it is, it seems probable that he will make the roster and contribute on special teams this year, and he certainly has the talent to be a contributor on defense next year. I figure he'll follow the same career path as last year's 5th round pick, Siran Neal. Even if he doesn't though, it looks like the Bills hit on 7 out of 8 picks, at minimum. That's OUTSTANDING!

If these types of draft classes continue, bright times are ahead for Buffalo.

Generally speaking I agree....but pump the brakes, it is just preseason. Remember, we could have had Pat Mahomes if we didnt trade up for Sammy. 

Edit: Wait, hear me out!

Edited by fansince88
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Element115 said:

I think it was 5.

Actually it was eight.

Go Bills!!!

39 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The board continues to trend toward the "Super-Fans" perspective on everything. 

Just waiting for someone to chime in like Todd O'Connor and declare that the Bills will break Pittsburgh's record of drafting four HOFers in 1974 with 5 from the 2019 class. 

No one is allowed to be happy. If you are happy, you are a cultist, a hyped-up sunshine bunny dope.

Are you happy now?

• Like (+1) 1