I know it's early, but the Bills 2019 draft looks like an absolute slam dunk

Logic

I was just reading an article about Darryl Johnson and how the Bills likely won't even have the luxury of stashing him on the practice squad this year because he's just been too impressive. Ditto Tommy Sweeney. When was the last time TWO 7th round picks not only made the opening day roster, but made big contributions in their rookie years?

Obviously, we have to see these guys play for a few years before we can declare any draft class a success. With that caveat out of the way, it appears at this early stage as though Beane knocked this draft out of the park.

Oliver and Ford look to be fixtures in the trenches for years to come. Singletary and Knox BOTH look like steals in the third round, and I expect both to be the #1 on the depth chart at their positions by next season. Tommy Sweeney and Darryl Johnson from the 7th round, as mentioned, look like legitimate NFL starters. Jaquan Johnson has looked good in limited action as a depth safety. Seems like a very smart player. That leaves only Vosean Joseph. As it is, it seems probable that he will make the roster and contribute on special teams this year, and he certainly has the talent to be a contributor on defense next year. I figure he'll follow the same career path as last year's 5th round pick, Siran Neal. Even if he doesn't though, it looks like the Bills hit on 7 out of 8 picks, at minimum. That's OUTSTANDING!

If these types of draft classes continue, bright times are ahead for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, teef said:

are you ready for the, "it doesn't mean anything until the bills start winning!" responses?  i am.

Absolutely. I'm putting the over/under on number of "pump your brakes" responses at 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will tentatively agree with you on Daryl Johnson and Sweeney, as far as value, they may be our best picks.  Daryk Johnson has a lot, lot of upside potnetial, deens to gain some weight and technique.

Singletray i think was ok and Knox we haven't really seen him do anything yet.

Oliver and Ford will be around for a while, more impressed with Ford sop far than Oliver.

Have not seen enough of Vosean or Jaquon Johnson to for an opinion yet.  Vosean might be on his way to the practice squad, if he does he might not clear the waiver wire.

One person you didnt mention although we didn't draft him is Ryan Bates.  It looks like he may develop into a real NFL center, we picked him up for next to nothing.  

Obviously some incredibly "wise" poster is going to strongly admonish us for not waiting until after all these guys retire to really determine if they were any good.

7 minutes ago, teef said:

are you ready for the, "it doesn't mean anything until the bills start winning!" responses?  i am.

that is nothing compared to the lectures about how it has only been two pre season games and  you can only judge a draft after there years, blah blah blah.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

that is nothing compared to the lectures about how it has only been two pre season games and  you can only judge a draft after there years, blah blah blah.  

and for a little razzle dazzle, i hope someone mentions how no one in the media will take this team seriously until we start winning games.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I will tentatively agree with you on Daryl Johnson and Sweeney, as far as value, they may be our best picks.  Daryk Johnson has a lot, lot of upside potnetial, deens to gain some weight and technique.

Singletray i think was ok and Knox we haven't really seen him do anything yet.

Oliver and Ford will be around for a while, more impressed with Ford sop far than Oliver.

Have not seen enough of Vosean or Jaquon Johnson to for an opinion yet.  Vosean might be on his way to the practice squad, if he does he might not clear the waiver wire.

One person you didnt mention although we didn't draft him is Ryan Bates.  It looks like he may develop into a real NFL center, we picked him up for next to nothing.  

Obviously some incredibly "wise" poster is going to strongly admonish us for not waiting until after all these guys retire to really determine if they were any good.

994306c9b4ccc064b4b9276c329e0520.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

and for a little razzle dazzle, i hope someone mentions how no one in the media will take this team seriously until we start winning games.

My two favorites:

1.  Moving up to get Sam Watkins.

2. WE COULD HAVE HAD PATRICK MAHOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My two favorites:

1.  Moving up to get Sam Watkins.

2. WE COULD HAVE HAD PATRICK MAHOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i get the mahomes issue, but people are going to have to move on from it.  it's like you did something to your girlfriend/wife years ago, but she just keeps bringing up the one time you ***** something up so she can feel justified to be mad.  i guess what i'm getting at is that the people that keep harping about mahomes are little *****.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, teef said:

i get the mahomes issue, but people are going to have to move on from it.  it's like you did something to your girlfriend/wife years ago, but she just keeps bringing up the one time you ***** something up so she can feel justified to be mad.  i guess what i'm getting at is that the people that keep harping about mahomes are little *****.

i'm with you..... I had boners for days over mahomes and Watson before that draft.... I've literally never brought them up one time on this board and find it pointless to think about it in general. 

onward and upward.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm with you..... I had boners for days over mahomes and Watson before that draft.... I've literally never brought them up one time on this board and find it pointless to think about it in general. 

onward and upward.

exactly.  i want to find out what the guys on this team can do rather than thinking about what if.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

Can we at least say wait until they actually play a regular season snap?  Is that OK?

I am about as pleased as I could be with the draft up until this point.  Unfortunately that doesn't say too much quite yet.  And to say it looks like a "slam dunk" at this point is just taking it way too far.  It would say something, though, if all of our draft picks made the roster.  There is usually at least one to the PS or even getting cut.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1