Barnwell - Realistic 2019 goals for the NFL's 10 worst teams

Steve O

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

So much of this comes down to whether you think Allen is better than Darnold or vice versa. I like Allen, but I always liked Darnold more, and I think Darnold is going to be very good. That's not to say that Allen won't be very good! But I think most observers see a lot more in Darnold than they do in Allen, at least at this point. And that's sensible. I also continue to strongly believe that the Bills loved Darnold and would have loved to have taken him. 

Bottom line: the Jets have their problems, but winning and losing depends so much on QB play/talent. That's why people aren't as down on the Jets as some of us here think they should be.

Um ... there is a team in the Bills division that regularly wins it walking away, making it impossible for any other team to get in except via the wildcard.

Darnold was considered the most Pro ready last year. Coaching and a school like USC will do that for a player. Wyoming, with a Jr. College transfer? Not so much, no. 

There are those pundits who believe Darnold is already at his peak whereas Allen has much greater potential. We shall see..

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Some on this board were apoplectic when NYJ traded 3 second round picks to move up to 3.  Yet, Buffalo effectively traded from 21 to 7 to pick Allen using Cordy Glenn to move to 12 and then 2 seconds to TB for 7.  Both NYJ and Buffalo needed a lot of draft capital to make that move, yet at this point people have long forgotten the price.

I say this because offense is the name of the game and, as you say, QB play is a majority of that.  Which is why I don't understand all the resources Buffalo has used on their defense.  

The Jets understood, albeit with a HC who has a losing record, that offense is where it's at and you need a HC to be offense-first.  McD has never embraced that and we're about to see if he's willing to change his spots. 

^this guy :lol:

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

My biggest issue with the allen "haters" isn't that that they think he may not be a good QB, or that he may never develop.  My issue - They actively root for him to fail... so they can be right

I don't. I want very desperately to be wrong. He's looked improved in the pre-season. If the touch he's shown on short passes can continue to develop and shows itself when throwing down the field, then he'll be on the right track.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't. I want very desperately to be wrong. He's looked improved in the pre-season. If the touch he's shown on short passes can continue to develop and shows itself when throwing down the field, then he'll be on the right track.

Correct. Only a "blind Homer" and the "We're Doomed" guy would make the comment that we are rooting for him to fail.. When he starts hitting 60 % and above consistently  and can actually throw guys open, my opinion will change. Bottom half  of the league QB---> no Doubt 

9 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Correct. Only a "blind Homer" and the "We're Doomed" guy would make the comment that we are rooting for him to fail.. When he starts hitting 60 % and above consistently  and can actually throw guys open, my opinion will change. Bottom half  of the league QB---> no Doubt 

Pretty much where I stand with him. There are many inferior talents that are far superior QBs in the league right now, but I've never been a fan of crafting QBs out of stone. Other positions, absolutely. Go get the guy that can run a  4.2 40 and jump over a moving car.

QBs are different and so much of the teams success rests on their shoulders.

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so accomplishing on paper should make the team relevant? come on man. use some common sense here. they couldn't give two ***** whats on paper and frankly, neither do I.

just show me the baby, JUST WIN!!

Well, how is it teams like Cleveland get drooled over when they haven't won anything? Or the Jets? Isn't that a double standard? 

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Barnwell watches football. He's a good analyst, and he backed up his argument with evidence. I'm more bullish on the Bills than him, but it is the case that the Bills offense was truly abysmal last season and that the QB had accuracy issues. Assuming everything is going to change for the better is what homers do. 

It’s amazing how personal some fans take things.  If a national media member says the Bills (who have been super successful over the last 18 years) might not make the playoffs, they obviously hate Buffalo and let’s make fun of their appearance.   Barnwell is a star nerd and that is how he makes his predictions.  

No no matter how many excuses we make, Allen would be a very rare exception to the rules if he becomes a successful NFL qb.  We have a very good D and have had a terrible offense under SM.  We don’t have any elite receiving talent and have old rbs.  Could we make the playoffs? Absolutely if the offense improves and D creates a few more big plays. 

But what do you guys think of the Lions?  It’s the same thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Steve O said:

4 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

The Jets, who picked 3rd overall in this year's draft, are not in the bottom 10?  

I saw the article, FP, before I saw your post.

Couldn't agree more...what math juggling index of power ranking and moves have the Jets made that put them outside this group of 10?!!!

Like you said it, they are the third worst team in football, but...what...tell us, what...what Kreskin type moves did they make to not only be in the top 5 here, but not part of that 4th tier of teams just dreaming about January?!!!

What sane person looks at Detroit and thinks they have a better shot of making the playoffs than the Bills?

Who says the same thing, and more so, about Denver in the division with 2 out of the three strongest teams in the AFC?!!!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I also think people here are underrating the Jets.

I remain very optimistic about Darnold becoming a great QB. Hate to say it but he was looking sharp at the end of last year and that continued into this preseason. But man their defense back 7 looks pretty rough and I have zero confidence in Gase. I think Jets will go like 8-8 and split with the Bills purely because of Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I remain very optimistic about Darnold becoming a great QB. Hate to say it but he was looking sharp at the end of last year and that continued into this preseason. But man their defense back 7 looks pretty rough and I have zero confidence in Gase. I think Jets will go like 8-8 and split with the Bills purely because of Darnold.

I think the Jets are depending on their front 4, which has two top 5 picks, to carry that defense.  If we were in the same situation, I would expect the same.  

I’ve said it a bunch but the Bills and Jets are basically the same teams.  If one qb emerges, they mostly likely will be the better team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

trust me, I'm not ragging on my team. I just know what it will take to keep the leeches off...WIN

Oh I believe you.

Probably responded to the wrong post.

Everyone loves the Browns because baker talks big and they signed big names.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It’s fun to speculate but man I can’t wait for the season to start so that we have some real data to evaluate. 

Think we're all starved for the regular season to start.  Posted this expecting 30 or 40 views and maybe half a dozen responses. 

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Barnwell watches football. He's a good analyst, and he backed up his argument with evidence. I'm more bullish on the Bills than him, but it is the case that the Bills offense was truly abysmal last season and that the QB had accuracy issues. Assuming everything is going to change for the better is what homers do. 

Image result for Angry gif
Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 3