Barnwell - Realistic 2019 goals for the NFL's 10 worst teams

Steve O

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

So much of this comes down to whether you think Allen is better than Darnold or vice versa. I like Allen, but I always liked Darnold more, and I think Darnold is going to be very good. That's not to say that Allen won't be very good! But I think most observers see a lot more in Darnold than they do in Allen, at least at this point. And that's sensible. I also continue to strongly believe that the Bills loved Darnold and would have loved to have taken him. 

Bottom line: the Jets have their problems, but winning and losing depends so much on QB play/talent. That's why people aren't as down on the Jets as some of us here think they should be.

Um ... there is a team in the Bills division that regularly wins it walking away.

That doesnt change my point at all actually. Our division is basically NE and everyone else. NFC North has Minny, GB and Chi that Detroit has to deal with. Chiefs and Chargers for the Broncos. Much harder than our division schedule

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

The Lions D-Line is amazing.  They are going to give people a lot of problems.  They are my surprise team pick of the year.  They signed Trey Flowers and Mike Daniels to the d-line adding to Romeo Okwara who had his best season yet last year, Damon Harrison who is one of if not the best run stuffing nt in the game, and a couple of Alabama d-lineman in Hand and Robinson.  They've got pass rush and run stopping strength.

If Kerryon Johnson can stay healthy they should have a good offense and (finally) be able to run the ball to help Stafford out.

I'm taking Hughes/ Oliver over Flowers (no consistent production) and Daniels all day.  We have a great, deep DL in our own right. Shoot , every level of this defense is incredible.

I'd say every team's chances at the playoffs right now are 50/50. :thumbsup:

Honestly though, these guys take numbers and write something to meet their deadline. Kind of like a cop writing 15 tickets in 2 days at the end of the month to meet their quota. In both instances you know some of it is going to be bs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'd say every team's chances at the playoffs right now are 50/50. :thumbsup:

Honestly though, these guys take numbers and write something to meet their deadline. Kind of like a cop writing 15 tickets in 2 days at the end of the month to meet their quota. In both instances you know some of it is going to be bs. 

I read a bunch of statistics but nothing that indicated a single minute of football was watched.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

That doesnt change my point at all actually. Our division is basically NE and everyone else. NFC North has Minny, GB and Chi that Detroit has to deal with. Chiefs and Chargers for the Broncos. Much harder than our division schedule

One would assume the Rams make it again.  I think bears or pack take that division.  And we'll say philly and NO win the other.  

The wildcard would then be between Dallas, Carolina, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, and then maybe the Lions.  

It'd be a surprise for sure.  

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

All I gotta say is Cash In ladies n gents. The general public view Allen as a Glennon/Bortles clone. I was just arguing with a Dolphin fan at work who saw Allen shred them in week 17 and still he feels Josh is a bum and the Dolphins quit at that point. ?

They have no idea how calculated, professional and talented this coaching staff and front office is. They have no idea they were by far the best pass D in the game. No idea that ST , TE , WR ,OL , DL , RB were all upgraded, some like OL and TE were heavily upgraded. 

Leave them sleeping , but cash in ! First time in 15 years I can say with my intellect and not just my heart - this Bills have the pieces to be a legit contender in the AFC. 

We upgraded with a lot of above average talent, respective of their role on the team.  No "splash" signings and half the analysts think Allen is Jamarcus Russell, so here we are with these articles.

It shows A) It's time to put up or shut up for this team and B) Journalists are lazy.

We're building a team.  I'd rather have a massively upgraded roster in terms of being complete, with depth, than have thrown a bunch of money at Le'Veon Bell and CJ Mosley.

Josh Allen has all the weapons necessary to change the Josh Allen narrative amongst his haters this year. 

In terms of journalists being lazy..  They don't seem to care about the Roberts, Kroft, Feliciano, Nsehke, Spain, Morse, K Johnson, J Brown, Beasley signings as much as they do 2 or 3 names they recognize.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

In the last 8 years, the AFC east has two WC appearances (Dolphins in 2016 and Bills in 2017), which is way below what it should be statistically. Turns out going 0-2 vs. NE and splitting against the better of the other two divisional opponents (which will be the Jets this year for the Bills; they are better than people here think) perpetually gets you to 3-3 in the division. That means you have to go 7-3 against everyone else. In the NFC North, everyone has a shot. GB, Minnesota, and Chicago have all won the division in the past three seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We upgraded with a lot of above average talent, respective of their role on the team.  No "splash" signings and half the analysts think Allen is Jamarcus Russell, so here we are with these articles.

It shows A) It's time to put up or shut up for this team and B) Journalists are lazy.

We're building a team.  I'd rather have a massively upgraded roster in terms of being complete, with depth, than have thrown a bunch of money at Le'Veon Bell and CJ Mosley.

Josh Allen has all the weapons necessary to change the Josh Allen narrative amongst his haters this year. 

In terms of journalists being lazy..  They don't seem to care about the Kroft, Feliciano, Nsehke, Morse, K Johnson, J Brown, Beasley signing as much as they do 2 or 3 names they recognize.

Very accurate and well said statement. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I read a bunch of statistics but nothing that indicated a single minute of football was watched.

Barnwell watches football. He's a good analyst, and he backed up his argument with evidence. I'm more bullish on the Bills than him, but it is the case that the Bills offense was truly abysmal last season and that the QB had accuracy issues. Assuming everything is going to change for the better is what homers do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

In the last 8 years, the AFC east has two WC appearances (Dolphins in 2016 and Bills in 2017), which is way below what it should be statistically. Turns out going 0-2 vs. NE and splitting against the better of the other two divisional opponents (which will be the Jets this year for the Bills; they are better than people here think) perpetually gets you to 3-3 in the division. That means you have to go 7-3 against everyone else. In the NFC North, everyone has a shot. GB, Minnesota, and Chicago have all won the division in the past three seasons. 

Sounds like you are making my point, the AFCE division isnt very good (hence our easier divisional schedule overall) vs Detroits (who the other 3 teams have won the division in the last 3 years per you)

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Sounds like you are making my point, the AFCE division isnt very good (hence our easier divisional schedule overall) vs Detroits (who the other 3 teams have won the division in the last 3 years per you)

No, I'm saying that 3-3 in the division is usually the best outcome given the structure of the division, and that 7-3 against everyone else is tough to do. As for Detroit, they have two WC appearances in the past 5 years.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

So you're saying Friday night will be a nice early "test" of the Bills' OL?  That's cool.

Yeah it will be a nice test all around since Patricia is the coach and used to seeing the ep system we use.  Their secondary is a a little suspect though so quick passing might be very effective against them.  I'm definitely excited to see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Their division is so much tougher than ours though, which is a huge factor in making the playoffs. 

I agree and think the NFC might be the best divison in football.  That said I think the Bears regress a little with a tougher schedule, Rodgers is getting older and more dinged up, and the Vikings have Cousins who still has to prove he is more than just a stats guy and can elevate his team.  As good as the division is I just think it is the Lions turn to surprise (watch them go 4-12 now lol).

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm taking Hughes/ Oliver over Flowers (no consistent production) and Daniels all day.  We have a great, deep DL in our own right. Shoot , every level of this defense is incredible.

I wasn't saying that to knock the Bills.  I'm really excited for this season my post was more to defend the Lions.  I think they will surprise people this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No, I'm saying that 3-3 in the division is usually the best outcome given the structure of the division, and that 7-3 against everyone else is tough to do. As for Detroit, they have two WC appearances in the past 5 years.

I am talking about this year not the past years, the point is making the playoffs this year. I think Detroit has less of a chance than us based on how the divisions are currently. 

Hot takes = clicks. Barnwell Isn’t new to this game and anytime you write an article about the worst teams, you get way more clicks that an article about the best teams. ESPN is looking to generate those clicks so they can sell their product. Anyone who read this just aided in that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I am talking about this year not the past years, the point is making the playoffs this year. I think Detroit has less of a chance than us based on how the divisions are currently. 

I don't have a strong opinion about Detroit. It all comes down to Stafford, who is the second best QB in that division. I could see them getting in because of that and a very good defensive front, and I could see them going 6-10. Fwiw, I thought that Patricia had some great defensive game plans last season (although they were really inconsistent). His scheme was the first to shut down Josh Allen's run game by flooding the shallow zones on pass plays, and he wrote the book on slowing down the Rams even though Detroit lost that game. He also had a great game plan against NE, who Detroit thrashed. 

I also think people here are underrating the Jets. They might not get into the playoffs, but I could see 8-8 (with one of those victories being over the Bills). They have real issues, but they have a number of studs. 

Edited by dave mcbride