PFF Top 10 Rookie List: Ryan Bates/Darryl Johnson

36 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I stopped at PFF

I couldn't be more out on PFF.  The guy on WGR the other day was absurd. One of his comments was Josh Allen had a low completion percentage when throwing to his second read. How in the world can they accurately measure this without knowing what the reads are. This just have to make so many assumptions to come to their conclusions. Its really just personal opinion disguised as scientific analysis. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to knock them but Bates has been only against the 2nd team and Johnson is only against 3 so far, correct? So while I like this info it is not enough to go on.

Isnt that pretty much EVERY rookie?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Anybody else feel Spencer Long might not make it and Bates does?

Tomorrow night will go a long way toward determining that.   If Bates has a repeat performance, I could see McBeane going for the young guy with upside, especially since there's a lot of veteran experience already on the O-line...

5 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

“I promise you, you guys haven’t seen anything yet,” Washington said. “The sky is the limit with this boy. He’s going to do some things because of his natural ability and talent but also his work ethic. He’s going to outwork the average guy.”

Sounds like they found another "McProcess" sort of guy.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Tomorrow night will go a long way toward determining that.   If Bates has a repeat performance, I could see McBeane going for the young guy with upside, especially since there's a lot of veteran experience already on the O-line...

I called this in another thread - Long is my surprise cut.  Don’t see him making it.  I view Bates as the Sirles replacement (supersub that can play all positions and offers game day roster flexibility).  Not sure if they give him an active roster spot or try to stash on taxi squad.  Doubt they move on from Teller given his contract situation, youth, Spain on a one year deal, etc.  Connect the dots.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Peca27 said:

I called this in another thread - Long is my surprise cut.  Don’t see him making it.  I view Bates as the Sirles replacement (supersub that can play all positions and offers game day roster flexibility).  Not sure if they give him an active roster spot or try to stash on taxi squad.  Doubt they move on from Teller given his contract situation, youth, Spain on a one year deal, etc.  Connect the dots.

They kept 9 OL going into last season.  I think they’ll do the same this year and keep Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Long, Teller and Bates. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

They kept 9 OL going into last season.  I think they’ll do the same this year and keep Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Long, Teller and Bates. 

Agreed - that's my 9 as well. Thinking they put Boettger on PS too. McGhin may have had a chance to wind up there as well, but I believe they can keep him stashed on IR if they like him. 

• Like (+1) 1

You think we're doing good.. until you realize that the Patriots have the highest rated offensive rookie (Jakobi Meyers), the 3rd highest offensive rookie (Jarret Stidham), the 8th highest offensive rookie (Hjalte Froholdt), and the 2nd highest rated defensive rookie (Chase Winovich).  

Hopefully in the Pats case preseason play isn't an indicator of regular season success!

Edited by berg1029

If Bates and Johnson and even Sweeney prove good enough to just see substantial backup time, it's a big win for McBeane. I imagine all of them will be making close to the minimum ($480K, I think). That's a lot less than you're going to pay for a contributor off the street, which will save a lot on the cap. 

On 8/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to knock them but Bates has been only against the 2nd team and Johnson is only against 3 so far, correct? So while I like this info it is not enough to go on.

I'm not totally disagreeing with this, but consider the fact that he played tackle in college, and has been in Buffalo less than 2 weeks. Not to shabby.

26 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I'm not totally disagreeing with this, but consider the fact that he played tackle in college, and has been in Buffalo less than 2 weeks. Not to shabby.

I am very happy with the progress- I just find PFF not very useful in the preseason