PFF Top 10 Rookie List: Ryan Bates/Darryl Johnson

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/buffalo-bills-player-among-pffs-top-10-offensive-rookies-midway-through-preseason.html

6. Ryan Bates, Buffalo Bills

Grade: 77.9 
Offensive Snaps: 64

Bates is the highest-graded rookie center who has played 50-plus snaps in the preseason. This feat is even more remarkable on account of him playing 100% of his 2018 offensive snaps at left or right tackle with Penn State. Although he has recorded 13 of his 64 NFL snaps at tackle, he has yet to allow a quarterback pressure at any position. Bates finds himself behind Mitch Morse, the highest-paid center in NFL, but his versatility should be a factor when Buffalo’s front office makes soon makes their personnel decisions.

3. Darryl Johnson, Buffalo Bills

Grade: 91.1 
Offensive Snaps: 58

Save for New England’s Chase Winovich, Bills’ edge rusher Darryl Johnson has had one of the best pass-rushing performances so far this preseason. On 36 pass-rush snaps, Johnson has recorded a 22.2% win-rate and a 13.9 pressure percentage which has resulted in two sacks and five total pressures. 

It is a question mark whether Johnson will make Buffalo’s 53-man roster, but if he continues to trend upwards, his emergence would add one more weapon to coach Sean McDermott’s arsenal.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/buffalo-bills-player-among-pffs-top-10-offensive-rookies-midway-through-preseason.html

Bates is the highest-graded rookie center who has played 50-plus snaps in the preseason. This feat is even more remarkable on account of him playing 100% of his 2018 offensive snaps at left or right tackle with Penn State. Although he has recorded 13 of his 64 NFL snaps at tackle, he has yet to allow a quarterback pressure at any position. Bates finds himself behind Mitch Morse, the highest-paid center in NFL, but his versatility should be a factor when Buffalo’s front office makes soon makes their personnel decisions.

6. Ryan Bates, Buffalo Bills

Bates is the highest-graded rookie center who has played 50-plus snaps in the preseason. This feat is even more remarkable on account of him playing 100% of his 2018 offensive snaps at left or right tackle with Penn State. Although he has recorded 13 of his 64 NFL snaps at tackle, he has yet to allow a quarterback pressure at any position. Bates finds himself behind Mitch Morse, the highest-paid center in NFL, but his versatility should be a factor when Buffalo’s front office makes soon makes their personnel decisions.

3. Darryl Johnson, Buffalo Bills

Grade: 91.1 
Offensive Snaps: 58

Save for New England’s Chase Winovich, Bills’ edge rusher Darryl Johnson has had one of the best pass-rushing performances so far this preseason. On 36 pass-rush snaps, Johnson has recorded a 22.2% win-rate and a 13.9 pressure percentage which has resulted in two sacks and five total pressures. 

It is a question mark whether Johnson will make Buffalo’s 53-man roster, but if he continues to trend upwards, his emergence would add one more weapon to coach Sean McDermott’s arsenal.

Really impressed with the quality player pickups the Bills have made the last three years, from the last three drafts and with regards to the free agents they signed, veterans, young and undrafted ones. This team is getting younger and better on paper. Beanie, McD and the scouts, and whoever else has had input, in these pickup decisions, like Shoen, Frazier, Daboll and others, seem to be getting it. Not sure if luck plays into this too, but this regime seems to know what they are doing, and in a step-by-step fashion. They are searching up and down, high and low, far and wide, and even overseas, for players that fit their culture and team needs. Got rid of lots of the overpaid, underachieving, bad attitude ones too, to make room for the rest. Not all decisions were perfect, but most seemed pretty good. Hope it works out for most of these younger and veteran players that have shown much prior ability and/or potential.

• Like (+1) 6

53 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to knock them but Bates has been only against the 2nd team and Johnson is only against 3 so far, correct? So while I like this info it is not enough to go on.

No one is fitting them for green jackets yet.  It's a ranking of rookies.  How many rookies do you think are playing against first-teamers in pre-season games?   I just don't understand posts like this.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That Bates trade may wind up being one of Beane's greatest moves ever, particularly if Morse's concussion concerns don't go away.

I don't think there's any way Johnson doesn't make the 53...you don't try to "sneak" pass-rushing talent like that onto your practice squad, and the word is already out.

• Like (+1) 9

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

No one is fitting them for green jackets yet.  It's a ranking of rookies.  How many rookies do you think are playing against first-teamers in pre-season games?   I just don't understand posts like this.

But one day they may be Masters champions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't really base anything off of PFF like talking about, but all of us have seen how well Johnson has been playing on the field. Bates, I don't know so much about outside of the thread that was created on here. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to knock them but Bates has been only against the 2nd team and Johnson is only against 3 so far, correct? So while I like this info it is not enough to go on.

But so are a billion rookies... this is looking at individual performers across all levels of competition. It isn’t a litmus test for them being all-pro’s, or even starters, but it’s indicative that they are showing positive signs. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is very true, but much of their competition for this recognition is in the same boat, having played against 2s and 3s.  Comparing apples to apples, these two guys are still pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

Some people see a half full glass of Kool Aid, others see a full glass of dog crap and sharp nails.

Johnson was a 7th rounder, and Bates was acquired for a guy who wasn't making the team, can play every position on the line and graded well in the position he played the least. Being noted that they stood out against anyone at the pro level is a win.

• Like (+1) 3

Fake news.  These guys both suck.  Bah!!

J/K

Looks like Bates is much, much more than just a camp body.  Good trade by the Beaner. I think I only saw him get bested once all night against Carolina.

Johnson just looks the part of a 4-3 DE to me.  Much more so than Lawson or Yarborough.  Good speed rush, uses his arms well, and has shown a nifty inside move.  I think he makes the team.  Let’s hope he follows in the footsteps of some other MEAC players of the year, Darius Leonard and Tariq Cohen.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Johnson played in the 2nd quarter last week and Carolina kept their line in longer than some other positions. I'd be surprised if wasn't in at least against the 2s for part of the game.

This article on Darryl Johnson just came out today.  Sorry for posting from a paid site (it's the only paid site that I subsribe to), but it's a great article that goes into Johnson's background and path through high school and college.  

https://theathletic.com/1154574/2019/08/22/he-can-be-a-beast-in-this-league-how-darryl-johnson-became-the-surprise-of-the-bills-draft-class/

Small excerpt:

His old coaches have seen this movie before.

“He’s always faced this same scenario: ‘Fight for a spot and show what I can do.’ He’s accustomed to this,” Coffey said. “He’s hungry for this. He’s not going to let up. He’s just always kind of been in that mode where he’s had to prove his value and his worth in some type of way. There’s no reason for me to believe he’s not going to respond now.

“I promise you, you guys haven’t seen anything yet,” Washington said. “The sky is the limit with this boy. He’s going to do some things because of his natural ability and talent but also his work ethic. He’s going to outwork the average guy.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dat said:

Some people see a half full glass of Kool Aid, others see a full glass of dog crap and sharp nails.

Johnson was a 7th rounder, and Bates was acquired for a guy who wasn't making the team, can play every position on the line and graded well in the position he played the least. Being noted that they stood out against anyone at the pro level is a win.

I was looking for clarification of who they were playing against-which I have recieved- and I see dog crap? I stated I was happy with info but I am trying to keep it in perspective. 

39 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Johnson played in the 2nd quarter last week and Carolina kept their line in longer than some other positions. I'd be surprised if wasn't in at least against the 2s for part of the game.

This is what I was looking for- and makes info even better. I try not to get excited for domination against 3rd stringers but usually 2s are legit pros.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not to dimiss your comments but with that approach to life a lot of opportunities may just pass you by.  

I was looking for clarification of who they were playing against-which I have recieved- and I see dog crap? I stated I was happy with info but I am trying to keep it in perspective. 

This is what I was looking for- and makes info even better. I try not to get excited for domination against 3rd stringers but usually 2s are legit pros.

Ok, gotcha sorry. Just took it as over critical negativity and a "yeah but...."

I was seeing that as a 7th rounder and a late camp trade are usually just camp bodies. The fact that they flashed and got recognized against anyone, as rookies who can improve, gives me a better feeling about OBD. Past regimes couldn't find these types in any round.

• Like (+1) 1

Great to see but hard to tell without seeing them against solid NFL talent.

Beating or being the best of the guys fighting for roster spots does not mean you are better than a guy that on paper is performing worst but against NFL starters.

Simplest example:

Cole Beasley vs Tre White: Beasley catches 3 passes for 15 yds

Duke Williams vs Cam Lewis: Williams catches 7 passes for 150 yds

Duke must be better right? No, White on Duke could have been 0 for 0 while Lewis on Beasley and he goes for 9 catches and 250 yds. 

Edited by ngbills