When credit card roulette goes wrong: Horrible Harry

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

The only steaks I've had that are worth $50 are ones that I have made at home.  Of course I don't pay $50, but they would be worth it! 

Although I did buy a $70 huge, prime, dry aged ribeye at Eataly in NYC when we had a gift card.  I would normally never pay that kind of money for a steak, but it took the sting out paying with a gift card for some reason.  It was the greatest steak I've ever tasted!  Sous vide and seared!

wGM4WxB.jpgq3SbPuW.jpgUJ7qWsk.jpgufRiD37.jpg

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I need a towel, and a cigarette..........

A lot has been said on this Board over the last 20 years.

...but the above are the truest words that have ever been put to print.  

1 hour ago, Element115 said:

That's way too rare for me.

21 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Image result for get out gif

and FTR I've gotten some excellent ribeye steaks from Costco. $9.99/lb.  They are cut thick with nice marbling. I'll take a picture next time. 

No offense intended at all, Element, but thank you Moon.

...oh, that steak...so gorgeous...I mean...seriously, it's just beautiful.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

A lot has been said on this Board over the last 20 years.

...but the above are the truest words that have ever been put to print.  

No offense intended at all, Element, but thank you Moon.

...oh, that steak...so gorgeous...I mean...seriously, it's just beautiful.

My GF likes them dark red bleeding, turns my stomach. No pink for me.  Just the way it is...

2 minutes ago, Element115 said:

My GF likes them dark red bleeding, turns my stomach. No pink for me.  Just the way it is...

I prefer straight medium. I don't like the texture and iron taste of the more rare ones, but I don't like how tough the meat is when it is well done.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I prefer straight medium. I don't like the texture and iron taste of the more rare ones, but I don't like how tough the meat is when it is well done.

I don't like them tough either, but I can grill a rib eye to no pink and it's still tender and delicious.  Can't do that with many cuts though, from my experience...

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

this is where i am as well.  i just can't do ultra rare steak.  that being said, i can only have tuna if it's lightly seared.  the rarer the better.

I'm kind of over steak. Steak is held in really high regard, but it's just not THAT flavorful. Think about how you would feel if no one had ever talked about it and you were trying it for the first time. I think it's more talked up than anything. Kind of like when people have a favorite band and over-listen and over-analyze the songs and learn to love them, without realizing that there is more refreshing music available.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I'm kind of over steak. Steak is held in really high regard, but it's just not THAT flavorful. Think about how you would feel if no one had ever talked about it and you were trying it for the first time. I think it's more talked up than anything. Kind of like when people have a favorite band and over-listen and over-analyze the songs and learn to love them, without realizing that there is more refreshing music available.

I'm with you on this. 

I like steak, and will cook it every once and a while at home. I rarely, if ever, order it out to dinner. It isn't worth the price at a restaurant IMO. I'd rather opt for something just as tasty for a small price tag

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I will eat it once in awhile, especially if it’s at a place known for their great steaks. But I much prefer seafood, in general. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

The only steaks I've had that are worth $50 are ones that I have made at home.  Of course I don't pay $50, but they would be worth it! 

Although I did buy a $70 huge, prime, dry aged ribeye at Eataly in NYC when we had a gift card.  I would normally never pay that kind of money for a steak, but it took the sting out paying with a gift card for some reason.  It was the greatest steak I've ever tasted!  Sous vide and seared!

wGM4WxB.jpgq3SbPuW.jpgUJ7qWsk.jpgufRiD37.jpg

Perfection!  

57 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I can’t believe that someone who uses the great Kent Hull as an avatar would say something so offensive and misguided. If you are ever in the NYC area, stop by and I’ll make you a steak that will change your mind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

Heretic burn it with fire

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

Did your Mother drop you while breast feeding?

Rare grilled steak is manna from the Gods.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Did your Mother drop you while breast feeding?

Rare grilled steak is manna from the Gods.

I don't know that there was any breastfeeding trauma, but she did raise me recklessly as I am the youngest of six and she was just "so done" at that point.

• Haha (+1) 2

Somewhere in here there is a “separate check” suggestion. That’s fine in some circumstances, but usually not for us. We order 2-3 appetizers and some people pick, some devour, and others ignore. There’s no math for that. Just relax and split the stinkin’ check!

I really wonder if this is a socio-economic (/age!) thing. If you have to worry about money more (real life, that’s fine, been there!), you watch that $$$ more. We were probably more sensitive about that years ago. I don’t really recall. 

On 8/22/2019 at 12:13 AM, The Bills Blog said:

Harry was only worried because he knows he's a bust and will never get a fat second contract...

In all seriousness, I'm kind of surprised by the comments in here about bill splitting being taboo. In my experience, that's what most people do, at least around here in my area.

With our friends, we just throw a card in and split it, sometimes you pay more, sometimes a little less, but it's not about the food or the money, its the enjoyment and time with people.  We are all in it together, don't sweat the small stuff. 

In my experience, those who want to split to the penny, either don't have the money to be risking it or sometimes are just *****.  If you dont have it, I get it, I'd ask the server to put the apps or drinks on me, split the rest, usually  handles the issue.