When credit card roulette goes wrong: Horrible Harry

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Granted my wife and I dont go out with other couples often, but we do have one close set of friends.  For me, I'd rather just pay the bill for our friends, and not have to worry about splitting the bill or figuring out who ate what and how much.

Now that we have done this a couple times, the other couple will just offer to take us to dinner.   The next time we do the same.  Its worked into a nice cadence and no one has to worry or be weird about money. 

this is also what we do.  just take turns buying dinner.  on occasion we just all throw in credit cards and split it evenly a few ways, regardless of who had what.

we had a good friend that would literally go to get cash so he could give his exact amount spent, including tip.  we just had to stop going out with them.  just becomes too much of a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Element115 said:

They did this when Rex was coach too though... I recall the vids with Incognito etc.

So you're saying it's a bad thing?  My comment isn't particular to any coach; the bottom line is players who like and respect each other play harder for each other.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

So you're saying it's a bad thing?  My comment isn't particular to any coach; the bottom line is players who like and respect each other play harder for each other.

No, I'm just wondering if you think this is going to make the team better?  Because I'm pretty sure this kind of thing goes on with every NFL team, including past Bills teams etc. 

22 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

The only steaks I've had that are worth $50 are ones that I have made at home.  Of course I don't pay $50, but they would be worth it! 

Although I did buy a $70 huge, prime, dry aged ribeye at Eataly in NYC when we had a gift card.  I would normally never pay that kind of money for a steak, but it took the sting out paying with a gift card for some reason.  It was the greatest steak I've ever tasted!  Sous vide and seared!

wGM4WxB.jpgq3SbPuW.jpgUJ7qWsk.jpgufRiD37.jpg

That's way too rare for me.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

this is also what we do.  just take turns buying dinner.  on occasion we just all throw in credit cards and split it evenly a few ways, regardless of who had what.

we had a good friend that would literally go to get cash so he could give his exact amount spent, including tip.  we just had to stop going out with them.  just becomes too much of a thing.

Exactly, youre going out to keep things light.  Life is stressful enough, and people get so weird about money.   Best thing to do is try to avoid those sort of situations.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hmmm...that house was built on the sand, in more ways than one however. 

Yes, I agree.  But the issue of players going out to eat = culture, what kind of culture, culture that equates to wins, how to quantify etc?

Edited by Element115

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Exactly, youre going out to keep things light.  Life is stressful enough, and people get so weird about money.   Best thing to do is try to avoid those sort of situations.

This guy had it right--living in areas shunned by the rest of civilization should take care of avoiding any social unpleasantries! :D

matt foley snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We went on vacation once with a few couples - it was St Maarten and the one dude’s family  owned a condo there so it was nice that they let us stay there, which we did pay for.. But his wife was crazy about counting what everyone ate and charging us for it at the end of the week. She went out every day and bought stuff (her decision) and put out food like baguettes, cheese, croissants.. and then handed us each a bill at the end if anyone took a bite. Weird. 

Did she use a hidden camera or was she there and up 24/7 in case someone tried to sneak a bite.  Sounds weird.

30 minutes ago, Element115 said:

No, I'm just wondering if you think this is going to make the team better?  Because I'm pretty sure this kind of thing goes on with every NFL team, including past Bills teams etc. 

You're complicating what was a very simple statement.  Don't overthink it.

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Did she use a hidden camera or was she there and up 24/7 in case someone tried to sneak a bite.  Sounds weird.

So weird. We all bought food for the condo, to share, never even thinking about it. But each morning she went out and bought certain things that she would put out for everyone. We just assumed it was the same thing, and just ate if we wished. She was really into these specialty chocolate croissants and different baguettes. Then when the week was up, she handed every couple a bill if they ate any of her items. I guess she paid attention? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Harry was only worried because he knows he's a bust and will never get a fat second contract...

Huh? Dude's in his 2nd year and a normal part of the defensive line rotation.

15 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

It is a perfect medium rare (129 degrees.)  If you cook a steak like that beyond medium rare, you are doing it wrong.  Ruin a $5 sirloin if you must.

Some people prefer their meat to be cooked.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Sake so good, though.

Sushi, for the volume of food you get, isn't exactly cheap, however.

Not when *I* get after it anyway

:lol:

Same here.  I like to think a sushi meal is healthy, but at the quantity I put back, I doubt it.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

It is a perfect medium rare (129 degrees.)  If you cook a steak like that beyond medium rare, you are doing it wrong.  Ruin a $5 sirloin if you must.

I don't like blood on the plate, no red, juice needs to be clear light brown for me.

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

no they didn’t!!!!  McDermott is the one who  introduced team-building trips to the Bills.

I remember Jim Kelly taking his linemen out for dinners, c'mon man! This is nothing new or McDermott special etc!

Edited by Element115