When credit card roulette goes wrong: Horrible Harry

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

110% agreed. 

if I come in $10 over budget for a great meal with friends, I’m calling the night a win. I’m paying for an experience not a beer in the most cliche terms.

If I spend to the penny my consumption but have to waste 20 minutes with pen paper and calculator that’s a disappointing situation. 

I’m thinking over the short list of people we go out with for meals like that. There’s not a single couple where anyone is doing the math for food and drink. We are there to enjoy an experience together. 

We leave in 9 days for Barcelona. From there we cruise to Lisbon on a 300 person Windstar ship. About 60 of those people will be our old church friends from Sarasota. Some very close friends, and all folks who just throw in the credit card and let them split it. (Yes, I’m very excited! Probably not the last you’ll hear of this!? ) 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would pay, but I would NEVER forget. Just not our style. Yep, that’s weird indeed. 

Exactly - and you can see I’ve never forgotten - this was 2001 or so. She tries to come off as very wealthy/classy but this said otherwise. They’re divorced now.... he’s an orthopedic surgeon and she never worked. She’s trying to break into the realtor biz now in her early 50s. I wish her luck but damn that was an expensive piece of bread . 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Exactly - and you can see I’ve never forgotten - this was 2001 or so. She tries to come off as very wealthy/classy but this said otherwise. They’re divorced now.... he’s an orthopedic surgeon and she never worked. She’s trying to break into the realtor biz now in her early 50s. I wish her luck but damn that was an expensive piece of bread . 

I’ve done that Realtor thing. The 80/20 rule in life is 95/5 in real estate. It’s 5% of the Realtors who make 95% of the money. It’s basically a cover while she collects alimony, I’m guessing. I worked in an office with a lady who was the top agent in Atlanta (so probably Georgia) 4 of the last 5 years. I was among the 95%.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

We leave in 9 days for Barcelona. From there we cruise to Lisbon on a 300 person Windstar ship. About 60 of those people will be our old church friends from Sarasota. Some very close friends, and all folks who just throw in the credit card and let them split it. (Yes, I’m very excited! Probably not the last you’ll hear of this!? ) 

I spent a few days in Barcelona and really liked it. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Don't see haw pranks lend themselves to team building?

Ever work with a bunch of guys at say a garage etc?  I have, we beat up on each other with pranks and stuff all the time, it was great.  Can't do that anymore these days because it's rare to work at a place that is all male, an NFL team is an exception in that regard.

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I have a couple friends that I swear would count out how many chips each person had in an order of nachos for the group. 

Its exhausting. 

You need some new friends.   Although I fo have one friend who refused to tip the beer vendor on my yankees season seats, on principle.   He was never invited back.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m just not that patient. I’d have to move on. Maybe that explains why I have so few friends?  :wacko:

One of our favorite families from Florida is the perfect case. It doesn’t matter who has more kids with them that night, he doesn’t drink at all (but he’s a HUGE dude and knocks down an appetizer or two before his meal), who has dessert. It’s just so comfortable....sometimes you come out ahead, sometimes not, but we ALL have a blast and just throw a card in the middle and split the check. That’s the best word....comfortable. Life’s too short for drink and appetizer math. 

That's why separate checks, man.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's why separate checks, man.

I am definitely a separate check kind of guy- I though did once have dinner with a couple who thought we would split 50/50 and had about $70 in alcohol each and then were surprised when I insisted on separate checks- my entire bill was about 50 while theirs was 250. That was last time I went to a nice place with them.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am definitely a separate check kind of guy- I though did once have dinner with a couple who thought we would split 50/50 and had about $70 in alcohol each and then were surprised when I insisted on separate checks- my entire bill was about 50 while theirs was 250. That was last time I went to a nice place with them.

Good fences make good neighbors, amirite?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I have a couple friends that I swear would count out how many chips each person had in an order of nachos for the group. 

Its exhausting. 

You can’t ever go to dinner with them again!! That’s the worst. We are going to Josephine Estelle for a birthday tomorrow and there’s going to be 8-10. This group contains a couple of those people and I’m dreading it!! Last time we went to a nice dinner as a group the one girl asked the waiter how much it would be for a 2nd salad dressing on the side so that she could decide which one was better. When he told her what it was like $1 (or something that he inevitably made up) she said never mind. It was so embarrassing. We also had 4 bottles of wine which all ended up on my tab somehow. 

As a rule, if you go to dinner with a group and you are splitting the bill, split it evenly!! Sometimes you’ll end up paying a little less than you consumed and sometimes a little more. It all comes out in the wash though. NO ONE wants to go out with the guy/girl calculating what each person owes. The staff hates it as well.  

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I’ve never done this, and doubt I ever would, but out of curiosity- does the roulette happen before or after the meal? I assume after is the only way, as the risk keeps people from going crazy with their orders...

when I did it , it was decided after the meal.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No steak is worth $50.  

Unless it's on the companies dime ;)   

The last time I put anything on the companies dime was when I was in the military and they are pretty pissy when you charge 300$ at a BWW in texas on a TDY government travel card. Got a nice A** chewing for that one.

• Like (+1) 1