When credit card roulette goes wrong: Horrible Harry

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, thats how I think I got cheated. One of my "friends" slipped the waiter some cash to choose my card.

Ha ha ha

Great story, my friend’s dad goes to lunch with the same guys once a quarter (4 guys in total). They play credit card roulette every time. 3 of the 4 have an agreement to rig the game. Each of the 3 pays once every 3 years so that it doesn’t look shady. The same guy pays for the other 9 meals in that span. It went on for over 20 years!! They finally told him when he moved away a couple of years ago. They estimated that he paid for something like 60 meals and the other guys like 5-6 each. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

4 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

The last time I put anything on the companies dime was when I was in the military and they are pretty pissy when you charge 300$ at a BWW in texas on a TDY government travel card. Got a nice A** chewing for that one.

LOL  Yeah.   I think $35 was the most I charged for a meal.  Of course that was the only meal of the day as food allocations s/b less than $35 to 40 a day.  

Less than $10 for breakfast

Less than $15 for lunch 

Less than $30 for dinner

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No steak is worth $50.  

Unless it's on the companies dime ;)   

I have only been to a nice restaurant on the company dime once- it was a Ruth Chris when I was 24 and it was 2 clients and me and a senior associate at my company. We allowed the client to order the wine because we did not know anything about wine. Client orders a "good value wine" and we drink two bottles of this value wine. When bill comes my coworker literally chokes for a second- the wine was $340 a bottle. Our dinner was suppose to be about $300 and was now past $1000 with tip. That boss was not pleased with me. Thankfully I was the new guy so my reaming was less rigourous. For some reason I was never chosen to be the rep on these dinners again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Element115 said:

Ever work with a bunch of guys at say a garage etc?  I have, we beat up on each other with pranks and stuff all the time, it was great.  Can't do that anymore these days because it's rare to work at a place that is all male, an NFL team is an exception in that regard.

Yes. I know.  Can't offend the snowflakes!

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have only been to a nice restaurant on the company dime once- it was a Ruth Chris when I was 24 and it was 2 clients and me and a senior associate at my company. We allowed the client to order the wine because we did not know anything about wine. Client orders a "good value wine" and we drink two bottles of this value wine. When bill comes my coworker literally chokes for a second- the wine was $340 a bottle. Our dinner was suppose to be about $300 and was now past $1000 with tip. That boss was not pleased with me. Thankfully I was the new guy so my reaming was less rigourous. For some reason I was never chosen to be the rep on these dinners again.

Yeah man it wasn't the food that screwed me over at Ruth's it was definitely the drinks, 5 guys and the tab was well over a grand.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

:censored: that .   I'd have let the senior associate pay for the meal.  

No junior guy s/b put on the spot like that 

No booze is allowed on my bills 

companies won't pay for it 

4 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Yeah man it wasn't the food that screwed me over at Ruth's it was definitely the drinks, 5 guys and the tab was well over a grand.

It’s crazy how cheap the restaurant bill looks when you go out and don’t order drinks. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s crazy how cheap the restaurant bill looks when you go out and don’t order drinks. 

We went out for a sushi lunch last weekend w/o the customary sake. I may have been hungover.  I couldn't believe how cheap it was.    

3 minutes ago, stony said:

We went out for a sushi lunch last weekend w/o the customary sake. I may have been hungover.  I couldn't believe how cheap it was.    

Sake so good, though.

Sushi, for the volume of food you get, isn't exactly cheap, however.

Not when *I* get after it anyway

:lol:

Granted my wife and I dont go out with other couples often, but we do have one close set of friends.  For me, I'd rather just pay the bill for our friends, and not have to worry about splitting the bill or figuring out who ate what and how much.

Now that we have done this a couple times, the other couple will just offer to take us to dinner.   The next time we do the same.  Its worked into a nice cadence and no one has to worry or be weird about money. 

• Like (+1) 6

29 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Granted my wife and I dont go out with other couples often, but we do have one close set of friends.  For me, I'd rather just pay the bill for our friends, and not have to worry about splitting the bill or figuring out who ate what and how much.

Now that we have done this a couple times, the other couple will just offer to take us to dinner.   The next time we do the same.  Its worked into a nice cadence and no one has to worry or be weird about money. 

If I go out with a couple and they start arguing over who ate the appetizers or splitting it up I know im going to avoid going to dinner with them in the future. Either split it 2-3 ways or we will pay and figure out some venmo possibly. If we all had a good time we are likely to do it again and itll all come out in the wash.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No steak is worth $50. 

Or you just haven’t had the right $50 steak. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have a friend who is a pharmacist who always insists buying the drinks. Best friend I ever had

My wife is like a delayed reaction credit card roulette; there have been times when friends are in town and she’s just paid the bill and I didn’t realize it until I got the statement.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We are going to Josephine Estelle for a birthday tomorrow and there’s going to be 8-10.

Huge fan of their cacio e pepe. So simple, but so good with their homemade pasta!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transient said:

Or you just haven’t had the right $50 steak. 

No, its not.  

1. I don't need to eat beef form a cow that has been massaged.
  2. I have bought some prime steaks at a butchers shop that is excellent. 
  3. Hell, just recently I got perfectly tender and tasty steaks from a grocery store!!!

23 minutes ago, jletha said:

If I go out with a couple and they start arguing over who ate the appetizers or splitting it up I know im going to avoid going to dinner with them in the future. Either split it 2-3 ways or we will pay and figure out some venmo possibly. If we all had a good time we are likely to do it again and itll all come out in the wash.

Agreed.   Anything else is awkward and for some reason so many people wait until the bill comes to decide.  

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No steak is worth $50.  

The only steaks I've had that are worth $50 are ones that I have made at home.  Of course I don't pay $50, but they would be worth it! 

Although I did buy a $70 huge, prime, dry aged ribeye at Eataly in NYC when we had a gift card.  I would normally never pay that kind of money for a steak, but it took the sting out paying with a gift card for some reason.  It was the greatest steak I've ever tasted!  Sous vide and seared!

wGM4WxB.jpgq3SbPuW.jpgUJ7qWsk.jpgufRiD37.jpg

Edited by chknwing334
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

The only steaks I've had that are worth $50 are ones that I have made at home.  Of course I don't pay $50, but they would be worth it! 

Although I did buy a $70 huge, prime, dry aged ribeye at Eataly in NYC when we had a gift card.  I would normally never pay that kind of money for a steak, but it took the sting out paying with a gift card for some reason.  It was the greatest steak I've ever tasted!  Sous vide and seared!

wGM4WxB.jpgq3SbPuW.jpgUJ7qWsk.jpgufRiD37.jpg

I need a towel, and a cigarette..........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm a big fan of any off-the-field "moments" showing that the team is close and the players like each other.

Culture, baby.

They did this when Rex was coach too though... I recall the vids with Incognito etc.

Edited by Element115