Would you trade a 1 for Zeke?

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The league has to address the issue of contracts as it applies to running backs. Under the current system the backs are discriminated against because their life-span is shorter. In addition, as with the Lev'an (sic) Bell situation there are backs who make up a disproportionate part of the offense because they are central to the running and passing game. Although Zeke's current contract is in force it is not fair that the current standard of pay applies to him and the position. The fairest approach would be to make the backs first contract shorter than everyone else because their football life span is shorter. 

Actually, rookie contracts are currently better for drafted RBs than for other players because the amount they are paid is based upon where they are drafted, regardless of position.  This means that Saquon Barkley will be paid more on his rookie deal than Sam Darnold, even though Darnold's market value will FAR exceed Barkley's (assuming Darnold were to become a quality QB).  Thus, Barkley will be paid much closer to his actual market value on his rookie deal than Darnold will.  This is one of many reasons why teams should avoid drafting RBs in first round.    

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly personal preference......he has two years left on his deal and thinks he's "entitled"...and he's been such a "good citizen (SERIOUSLY?)"...maybe I'm too old school, but I loathe that "it's me and I am bigger then the game" crap......put RG I 5/8 , Cam. and Kaep in THAT basket a s well as others...times are good and it's "ME"....a loss and teammates are "under the bus in a nanosecond"....eff them.....wanna see a class act (not one of your favs so noted)?...Josh Allen....humble, mindful and respectful of the game, realizing those who have paved the way to his financial opportunity.....perfect quote was, "this is OUR team and OUR family"...and willing to work his arse off on weaknesses to get better....

I guess that stuff doesn’t bother me at all. This isn’t competition to them; it is their career. I know in my career my entire focus is on my earnings. If there is an issue I take it to management. I’m going through it right now. We are in an earn out period right now and the window is 3 years. In a lot of ways it’s not terribly different than a RB. There is a period (the next 2 years and 2 months) where we can earn exponentially more than at any other time. You bet, that in this period, I’m making sure that I maximize every single dime. Zeke has 1 big contract left. He needs to protect himself and get what he can while he can. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that stuff doesn’t bother me at all. This isn’t competition to them; it is their career. I know in my career my entire focus is on my earnings. If there is an issue I take it to management. I’m going through it right now. We are in an earn out period right now and the window is 3 years. In a lot of ways it’s not terribly different than a RB. There is a period (the next 2 years and 2 months) where we can earn exponentially more than at any other time. You bet, that in this period, I’m making sure that I maximize every single dime. Zeke has 1 big contract left. He needs to protect himself and get what he can while he can. 

I agree and have no problem with Zeke playing this the way he is if he thinks it is in his best interest, although it would seem that Bell’s experience should be something of a cautionary note to these guys.  I simply do not believe that committing a first round draft choice and a huge contract to a RB is in the Bills best interest at this time.  It would be the wrong move. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

He's an amazing talent, but a 1st, plus an very expensive contract to go with a line that still isn't so good.  Don't think it makes sense. Any high picks or money the Bills spend should be on the OLine if anywhere.

I'm sure you meant unproven OL, right?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Actually, rookie contracts are currently better for drafted RBs than for other players because the amount they are paid is based upon where they are drafted, regardless of position.  This means that Saquon Barkley will be paid more on his rookie deal than Sam Darnold, even though Darnold's market value will FAR exceed Barkley's (assuming Darnold were to become a quality QB).  Thus, Barkley will be paid much closer to his actual market value on his rookie deal than Darnold will.  This is one of many reasons why teams should avoid drafting RBs in first round.    

The problem isn't the amount of money in the first. The issue is the length of the contract. If your lifespan as a player is shorter then it is not unreasonable for the expiration of the first contract should be sooner than the other positions. 

45 minutes ago, White Linen said:

100% absolutely not

101% absolutely not ever

fat stupid idiot with bad hair

32 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wouldn't trade a first only because if Dallas is willing to move him it's because they are desperate to do it and a good GM would take that into account in their offer and get him for less. If they were going to make the move, it would also have to involve moving another RB out

not for a 45th

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I don't know what people's obsession for a first round pick is.  You can have a pick that has a 50/50 shot of being a bust basically or you can have a guaranteed stud.  If I can afford it, I'm taking the stud.  He's also at an optimal RB age to give a deal where you are not on the hook for much money after 3 or 4 years and you get 3 or 4 years of prime age performance.  He runs great, he blocks great, he catches balls great, he does it all.  Not to mention if the pick is a bust you are wasting millions in cap on a bad player.

I completely agree and have said this for years. it's insane to me that when a "prospect with potential" is drafted high it's worth it, but then a guy goes out and proves he's a stud, like Randy Moss, and he gets traded for a 4th, twice.

For every guy that turns into a superstar there's 10 guys that range between Aaron Maybins, Donte Whitner, Spiller, McCargo, etc. I would trade my first round pick for a superstar every single year, regardless of position as long as it didn't cause a cap problem.

And if a team wants to trade you an inexpensive proven vet for a 2nd 3rd, I'd do it every time.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes, as long as they can unload Shady’s deal in the process.

I typically advocate drafting an RB where they took Singletary and avoid spending on the RB position.

That said, Zeke is a freak, at his peak; Buffalo has more than enough cap without a plethora of expiring contracts coming up. Extend Zeke for 4-5 years, front load it, that way when it comes time to extend White, there will be no issues and he will be off the books or close to it when Allen and Edmunds are due.

I would also pull the trigger on a Clowney trade for the same reasons (and would cost less draft equity), I welcome either (or both, obviously won’t happen). This team is extremely solid, an elite player or two could really take them to a whole nutha level.

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Plus...Cowboys have a bad reputation for using up RBs, look at how they just destroyed DeMarco Murray (392 rushes his last year there?!?) and you realize they're doing the same thing w/ Elliot...they're running him almost 22 carries/game over his career. Every year he's been in the NFL he's averaged the most carrier per game...that takes a toll.

These guys aren't dumb. They saw the Steelers run Bell 321 times prior to him sitting out 2018 and everyone gave Bell a hard time but imo he was being smart. Because like Murray or Gordon or Gurley or Johnson it's pretty obvious what happens when you average a ton of carries over the course of a couple seasons- you get injured/worn out. It's like clockwork. The fact that the RB position is especially susceptible to injury/fatigue, combined with how devalued they've become in the draft, is what's pushing these guys to sit out or get paid. It's prudent. They get absolutely ridden into the ground if they're any good, they're cheap, and they're replaceable. They should try to get as much as they can by any means necessary imo.

• Like (+1) 1

Adulting is hard for some..., and some of these prima donnas are just ?? crazy,  and not worth the ?  ⛈ that they bring along, jmo.

I will defer to Beane & McDermott, because they are fully tuned into the plus & minuses.

Go Bills!!!

Yes.   I would do it.  Will Zeke make the Bills offense markedly better?   Of course he will.

Will next years first make the Bills better?  Who knows!

i think we can all agree the Bills are at least a border line playoff team right now.  Zeke would likely get us over the hump. 

Not a a hard decision for me.