Would you trade a 1 for Zeke?

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The money has nothing to do with it.  The contract says the team can cut you, it does not say the player can hold out.  The fact that Im getting an argument supports the last part of my

original statement.

If the other players want more money then they need to have an individual salary cap in the next collective bargaining agreement so that one particular group doesn't eat up such a large portion of the CAP.  Then the money can be spread around better.  Also if these players truly were the justice warriors they claim to be they would allocate more money for the retirees.

I side with what I believe is right and thats the best I can do in life.  

The money has EVERYTHING to do with it!! Your last point was, “they will make more in a single year than most will make in their life time.” That’s totally irrelevant. If a guy makes $3M and his performance is more in line with a guy making $8M than why begrudge him for wanting $8M? When a guy is making $8M and plays like a guy making $3M the owner can just decide “I’m going to  give him $0.” 

Not sure what the bolded has to do with someone holding out.....

41 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Also if these players truly were the justice warriors they claim to be they would allocate more money for the retirees.

Which players claim to be “justice warriors”?  What makes you think that?  

• Like (+1) 1

if i were the bills, i would not.  we have plenty of firepower at RB and need money to resign or sign other top talents if they come available.

for some other team, i think it could be worth it.  maybe pittz, NO, Jax.  a team that would get a lot better with a super star RB and who may have a play off team draft pick.

all that said, a first is still on the high side.  maybe a 2nd makes more sense because you don't get a nice rookie wage year in there, but if I'm NO, or Philly, and i think i'm on the verge of (another) chip, i go for it.

Nope- thats how a team gets into financial trouble while losing draft capital- never for a RB. QB, yes, RB no thanks. Zeke wants a huge contract and RB’s do not command it in todays market. Bell is an outlier and in a few years the Jets may be feeling the pain from it.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The money has EVERYTHING to do with it!! Your last point was, “they will make more in a single year than most will make in their life time.” That’s totally irrelevant. If a guy makes $3M and his performance is more in line with a guy making $8M than why begrudge him for wanting $8M? When a guy is making $8M and plays like a guy making $3M the owner can just decide “I’m going to  give him $0.” 

Not sure what the bolded has to do with someone holding out.....

As like you I don't understand the resentment against players for the amount of money they make. The issue is what share of the multi-billion dollar operation should they get for their services. The players certainly are instrumental to the success of the business. And an argument can be made that players, especially elite players, are more responsible to the success of the business than some owners. Who is more important to the Colts?: the oddball Irsay or Luck? In many respects players are like performers in movies and in the entertainment business where at the top level  (which the NFL is in) they are central to the business. 

Some people are troubled over how contracts are not iron-clad legal documents upheld by the players. But the context in this football business is that contracts are in general not iron-clad for the management side because very often they have the option to release the player and replace the player with what essentially is cheaper labor. Also, there is nothing unusual for management to redo contracts for players when the player demonstrably outperforms the contract. That is not done out of altruism so much as it is done to secure the talented player/s for a longer term. 

When one is in such a precarious and short term business that is also a cut-throat business I'm not going decry and moralize to a player who is looking out for his own interest. Of course there are cases where players' demands are unreasonable but in general I will give players some allowance because of the nature of their physically punishing business. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

People saying no to this are crazy. You need blue chip talent and Zeke is a blue chip talent. Plus if the pick is number 32 its an absolute steal 

If you were getting a Zeke who would play under his existing deal, sure. Zeke wants to be the highest paid RB out there. He's turned down a very good deal already and has invested into getting the deal he wants. It's the fact you're paying him ***** wide receiver money that's the reason you don't give up a pick for him. Connor replacing AB should teach people a lesson about even all world rbs in the league right now.

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think of Fred Jackson and Phillip Lindsay when I hear this.  You can find undrafted or very late drafted RB's that are serviceable.  No way would I trade a 1st

Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, Jordan Howard, James Connor, Tarik Cohen, Marlon Mack all went in 3rd round or later last few years. Ekeler in San Diego and Breida in SF undrafted in 2017. Zero chance I am giving a first rounder for a running back.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1