Would you trade a 1 for Zeke?

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

In today's NFL I don't think you give up high picks AND pay outrageous salaries. Just can't fundamentally do that.

Depends on the position. A DE like Mack is worth it.  An all world LT or C maybe as well.  Great QB's don't get traded but if you want one and need one badly enough you have to pay dearly.  Best bet is to pay your own.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

No way in HE@@. The only backs in the league MAYBE worth that investment are Gurley and Barkely. And I'm not personally giving up a first for either. Zeke is relatively young, but he's already got some tread on the tires. As good as he is, I want a game breaker for that type of investment. The position just isn't as valuable as it once was and the best years you're likely to get are the first 5. No chance.

McCaffrey

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm kind of sick of all the divas in the NFL. No doubt he is great, but I just wouldn't want to deal with it.

He would not be good for the locker room.

Can you define Diva?  Have you ever asked for a raise when you felt you deserve it?  Do you have a career that will last only a handful of years?  If you signed a contract with an employer and they tear it up with three years left on the deal because they don't want to pay you any longer, would you think that is fair?  

Why would he be bad for the locker room?  He seems like a horrible person to women but have not heard her is a bad teammate.  

I agree I would not want him on my team nor pay a RB prime money.  But some team will.  That is how the market works.  He's top 3 RB in the NFL and wants to be paid like that.  Dallas has every right to make him honor his contract and franchise tag him if they wish.  He has every right to try and get the largest amount of guaranteed money he can.  Dallas has every right to cut him and not honor the contract.  That is how the NFL works.  Players must get their guaranteed money.  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

McCaffrey

Have to agree with you on this kid. He is so much better than I ever thought he would be.  

Gurley is a broken down mess that I would not give more than a 5th round pick to take on his nightmare contract.  

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Have to agree with you on this kid. He is so much better than I ever thought he would be.  

Gurley is a broken down mess that I would not give more than a 5th round pick to take on his nightmare contract.  

Agree. Love Gurley but the only RBs I’d consider a first for are Barkley and McCaffrey. And I still wouldn’t do it.

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I wouldn’t..but it seems things are getting pretty toxic between Zeke and Jerry in Dallas just curious if you’d be willing to trade a 1 for him and then give him a contract extension 

Nope

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I guess I struggle to see how you can think we have a great defense, you like the qb, like the coach and don’t think a top 3 back in their prime isn’t the kind of piece that makes you an immediate contender.

this isn’t to call you out individually - I think I just confused this off-season by the very common gap between “I like our defense, qb and coach” and immediately following with thinking we aren’t a contender.

it feels like either ptsd or not actually liking those pieces much 

I just don't feel that throwing Zeke into the mix now would work out as well. If this had been before TC when he had time to get in here and gel with everyone then I would feel different. I'm not against the idea because you can obviously get a top 3 RB for the next 4 or 5 years. We have the money, we have a good team minus a few pieces elsewhere, and we are on the rise in the AFC. The biggest question I have would be if he fits with this team? Would he fit with the rest of the guys, would he mesh with the staff, and would he be all in on the culture we are building here? I have said I believe this team is special. I think we are going to the playoffs and not just getting to the first round this time. I just don't know if Elliott is someone who would be a piece that puts us over the top. I do see what it is you are saying and understand where you are coming from though. I also think that Jerry isn't going to budge on his stance until he sees regular season games without Zeke. If the Pollard kid is showing well, I think he might listen to offers. If the offense is struggling then I think he pays the man. Either way I don't believe this is something that will happen until a few weeks into the regular season, a trade to any team that is. 

Edited by H2o

32 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup and they will make more in a single year than most will make in their life time.  You strengthened my argument good job.

I really never understand why fans side with billionaires over millionaires? Why does how much they make change their right to maximize their value? What is the number when you are no longer allowed to ask for a raise? What’s the number when someone has “enough?”

The median salary for an NFL player is $860k. Keep in mind you need to pay Uncle Sam & your agent. So if you say 40% of that is gone and the average career is 3 years, It comes to about $1.5M after taxes. That’s not life changing (especially for someone that’s about 26 or 27). Now obviously, guys in position to hold out are going to earn more. They are less easily replaced. Why should they not capitalize while their earning window is open? Why is it okay for someone in every other profession to get market value?  We live in a capitalistic society. 

Also, you never see players hold out in any other sport. There’s really no such thing because their money is guaranteed (just like yours). I’m not suggesting that works in the NFL but holding out is all that they have vs. a unilateral contract. An owner can decide at ANY point and for ANY reason that the “contract” you agreed to is no longer valid. 

Now again, if people don’t think a 1st is worth it that’s perfectly reasonable. I just will never understand anyone begrudging someone for maximizing their worth. We all do it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I really never understand why fans side with billionaires over millionaires? Why does how much they make change their right to maximize their value? What is the number when you are no longer allowed to ask for a raise? What’s the number when someone has “enough?”

The median salary for an NFL player is $860k. Keep in mind you need to pay Uncle Sam & your agent. So if you say 40% of that is gone and the average career is 3 years, It comes to about $1.5M after taxes. That’s not life changing (especially for someone that’s about 26 or 27). Now obviously, guys in position to hold out are going to earn more. They are less easily replaced. Why should they not capitalize while their earning window is open? Why is it okay for someone in every other profession to get market value?  We live in a capitalistic society. 

Also, you never see players hold out in any other sport. There’s really no such thing because their money is guaranteed (just like yours). I’m not suggesting that works in the NFL but holding out is all that they have vs. a unilateral contract. An owner can decide at ANY point and for ANY reason that the “contract” you agreed to is no longer valid. 

Now again, if people don’t think a 1st is worth it that’s perfectly reasonable. I just will never understand anyone begrudging someone for maximizing their worth. We all do it.

The money has nothing to do with it.  The contract says the team can cut you, it does not say the player can hold out.  The fact that Im getting an argument supports the last part of my

original statement.

If the other players want more money then they need to have an individual salary cap in the next collective bargaining agreement so that one particular group doesn't eat up such a large portion of the CAP.  Then the money can be spread around better.  Also if these players truly were the justice warriors they claim to be they would allocate more money for the retirees.

I side with what I believe is right and thats the best I can do in life.  

IMO first round pick ( for a running back) is out of the question, 

How about trade McCoy for Zeke straight up AND of course we’d have to make Zeke the highest paid running back in league ? And I still think McBean wouldn’t do it , 

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a great player BUT  his character ( IMO ) is a huge question mark ,