Would you trade a 1 for Zeke?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that stuff doesn’t bother me at all. This isn’t competition to them; it is their career. I know in my career my entire focus is on my earnings. If there is an issue I take it to management. I’m going through it right now. We are in an earn out period right now and the window is 3 years. In a lot of ways it’s not terribly different than a RB. There is a period (the next 2 years and 2 months) where we can earn exponentially more than at any other time. You bet, that in this period, I’m making sure that I maximize every single dime. Zeke has 1 big contract left. He needs to protect himself and get what he can while he can. 

I want more money but I do the job I agreed to do for the money I agreed to do it for.  Thats how my parents raised me.  A lot of professional athletes have very poor character.

24 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

No way in HE@@. The only backs in the league MAYBE worth that investment are Gurley and Barkely. And I'm not personally giving up a first for either. Zeke is relatively young, but he's already got some tread on the tires. As good as he is, I want a game breaker for that type of investment. The position just isn't as valuable as it once was and the best years you're likely to get are the first 5. No chance.

Zeke is in discussion with them. So I disagree there. 

I also think that if healthy he would he would make us a super bowl contender immediately and that’s relatively priceless 

but man rb is high risk and after hold out it’s likely a coin flip that he misses time with a hamstring this year and probably another coin flip he misses time the year after with risk of injury and suspension rolled together.

So it’s a big gamble. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Pssshhh, I'd give up a first for Barkley in a heartbeat. Gurley though? Hell no. He's Terrell Davis all over again. I'd give up a first for Zeke if I thought he was the missing piece to a championship. Sadly, he is not though. Then you have to give him 45 mill guaranteed at least. I could see him going to Houston, Tampa, GB, or Seattle though. 

With a top defense, and an immediately top running game - you must not like McD or Allen if you don’t see it being a major opportunity at being top 2-3 in the afc 

20 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I want more money but I do the job I agreed to do for the money I agreed to do it for.  Thats how my parents raised me.  A lot of professional athletes have very poor character.

Your career also can last 40+ years. Their career is about 20% of that. Apples and oranges 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Sometimes the talent isn’t worth the trouble or the cap space. If he were an adult, then probably at the right price. But he seems to struggle with adulthood. 

You are absolutely right.  This guy and his agent are out in left field.  He has two years left on his agreement and he is butting heads with the owner of the team.  It's not like he is negotiating with a GM in fear for his job.  Zeke would do well to recall the Jerry Jones /DeMarco Murray saga.  Jerry let a league rushing champ walk away without batting an eye.  In this case he has Zeke under contract for two years plus the franchise tag.  That sounds like a lot of leverage to me.  It also doesn't hurt Jerry that the rookie Pollard has looked pretty good in preseason.  You can tell that Jerry is feeling it when talking about the new contract they signed with Smith.  His quote about there being less of the pie today than there was yesterday was a priceless shot at Zeke.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

With a top defense, and an immediately top running game - you must not like McD or Allen if you don’t see it being a major opportunity at being top 2-3 in the afc 

The exact opposite. I like both. I just don't think Elliott puts us over the top. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be one of the posters who's head would explode if we did make such a trade though. 

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

The exact opposite. I like both. I just don't think Elliott puts us over the top. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be one of the posters who's head would explode if we did make such a trade though. 

I guess I struggle to see how you can think we have a great defense, you like the qb, like the coach and don’t think a top 3 back in their prime isn’t the kind of piece that makes you an immediate contender.

this isn’t to call you out individually - I think I just confused this off-season by the very common gap between “I like our defense, qb and coach” and immediately following with thinking we aren’t a contender.

it feels like either ptsd or not actually liking those pieces much