Food Insider - Best wings in Buffalo

Talley56

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The only time I’ve been to Duff’s the wings didn’t look like that. They were literally swimming in sauce so that the bottom wings were grossly soggy.

To be honest, I left for college when I was 17. I knew Duff’s had wings, but we went there mostly because we knew where it was easy to get pitchers of beer at that age!  Back then there was no shortage of options, but Duff’s was in the rotation. ? 

The ones I traveled 40 miles each way to get at the Duff’s here were worth the trip. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Despite his crotchety disposition, I must say that @plenzmd1 whips up fine wings at a tailgate. Everyone is good for something!  Sometimes you just have to look harder than others!  ? 

I am sure it has nothing to do with starting thetailgatee at 7AM, but Hammer Lot wings at 5PM  made by yours truly after a Bills Victory may be the best wings ever! Might have something to do with the fact we inevitably forget the butter and garlic..so our super secret recipe in case anyone wants it

Canola Oil to 350

Dump in a bunch of wings

fry till done

throw on some salt , swirl in a bowl of Franks 

eat like a champ!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am sure it has nothing to do with starting thetailgatee at 7AM, but Hammer Lot wings at 5PM  made by yours truly after a Bills Victory may be the best wings ever! Might have something to do with the fact we inevitably forget the butter and garlic..so our super secret recipe in case anyone wants it

Canola Oil to 350

Dump in a bunch of wings

fry till done

throw on some Franks

eat like a champ!!!!

It seems to me you failed to include the butter.....and the Victory. Better luck next time! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

The only time I’ve been to Duff’s the wings didn’t look like that. They were literally swimming in sauce so that the bottom wings were grossly soggy.

Ditto.  My son dragged me back there last year and I must admit they were far better than I remembered.

I don't get the Bar Bill love. They are meh at best. 

Anchor Bar is for tourists, although I never mind them when I take someone from out of town there. I have yet to visit one of the locations to see if they are any good.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bar Bill, baby.

I still have not been there yet but I am dying to go. Many of my family members say they are their favorite. I heard their Beef on Weck is stellar as well.  I will be heading there when I come to town for a game in November.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ditto.  My son dragged me back there last year and I must admit they were far better than I remembered.

I don't get the Bar Bill love. They are meh at best. 

Anchor Bar is for tourists, although I never mind them when I take someone from out of town there. I have yet to visit one of the locations to see if they are any good.

I usually find Anchor Bar too saucy and Duffs crispy and not over sauced. We have a Duffs in the Atlanta area now too, which is a huge bonus.  If you don't prefer the "big 3", which ones are your favorite.  (p.s., I agree that Anchor Bar is for tourists)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I usually find Anchor Bar too saucy and Duffs crispy and not over sauced. We have a Duffs in the Atlanta area now too, which is a huge bonus.  If you don't prefer the "big 3", which ones are your favorite.  (p.s., I agree that Anchor Bar is for tourists)

At the risk of incurring @Augie's wrath... lately when we have had wings at has been at The Yelling Goat - a Berbere (Ethiopian) dry rub, and then hot wing sauce on top. The doubled, layered flavors are very good.

I always liked La Nova's wings, but have not had them in a few years so they may have changed.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

At the risk of incurring @Augie's wrath... lately when we have had wings at has been at The Yelling Goat - a Berbere (Ethiopian) dry run, and then hot wing sauce on top. The doubled, layered flavors are very good.

I always liked La Nova's wings, but have not had them in a few years so they may have changed.

The Ethiopians are forgiven, for they wore those “Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions” shirts for decades. They get some good will for that.  

• Haha (+1) 2

I wanted to hate this review. When the reviewers started babbling, I was sure I would hate this review. But it wasn't half bad. I can't endorse their methodology, but they did what they did. At least they told us their preferences/biases upfront.  If they were going to pick only four places, I think they did a decent job of picking four of the well thought of places in the area. I also happen to like Duffs best, of all the places they went to.

With that said, I never understood dunking the wing in the blue cheese. That's for the crudités , IMO. And I agree with their final realization, they should have picked HOT wings. That's when they'd find the bigger differences, I think. But then again, I like really hot wings. Duffs Suicidal!

Obviously, I like my own sauce the best. But I hate deep frying in the house. The only time I'll do it is if company is coming. But I've found a way to get really good wings in Florida. I bring the sauce to a restaurant that cooks their wings properly and just ask them to use my sauce. I bring extra for the cooks, as a bribe. 

• Like (+1) 1