Bills Practice - 8/21

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

I'm really nervous about Morse.

When asking JW about it last week, his answered seemed more about his overall health and wasn't a fan of putting a timetable on his return, whether it be week 1 or being available at all this season.

McD basically said the same thing today.  There is no time table when a reporter tried to narrow him down.  Day by Day.

Based on the fact that he got his concussion on the first day of pads, right now I would label it less than 50/50 that Morse will be available for us this season.  It wouldn't surprise me if he is one more concussion away from potentially calling it a career.

Of course, his health is what's most important and football is a far second.   But as a fan, the response from McD during the process isn't that encouraging.

He'll start on opening day.

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

I'm really nervous about Morse.

When asking JW about it last week, his answered seemed more about his overall health and wasn't a fan of putting a timetable on his return, whether it be week 1 or being available at all this season.

McD basically said the same thing today.  There is no time table when a reporter tried to narrow him down.  Day by Day.

Based on the fact that he got his concussion on the first day of pads, right now I would label it less than 50/50 that Morse will be available for us this season.  It wouldn't surprise me if he is one more concussion away from potentially calling it a career.

Of course, his health is what's most important and football is a far second.   But as a fan, the response from McD during the process isn't that encouraging.

He's in the 5th and final stage of the concussion protocol. He's fine. McDermott isn't going to say anything concrete until he's completely cleared. 

If Morse gets another one once he comes back, then worry. 

14 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

maybe he meant his best days are ahead of him...on another team?

I could be wrong but that wasn't how I read in to it and believe zay stays?

wont be long now, cuts are coming.

Wasn’t saying he’s gonna be cut, just that he didn’t dispute the reduced role and even acknowledged that Zay has embraced the reduced role.  

Again, could be nothing.  But the quote on Twitter definitely misleads a bit of what McD really said and paints a rosier picture than I think how it came across.

I just found it interesting that there were opportunities to say Zay was a big part of the offense and elected not to and instead supported the narrative in the reporters question about him being in a reduced role.  Felt very political like how he answered the questions.  

Im not going to overly focus on the fact he was a non factor in preseason game 2.  It’s foolish to read too much into that as in that game we don’t know what the coaches are focused on emphasizing and working on.  Some want to write Zay off over it, and I get it after another bad drop week 1 and then being a ghost in week 2.   But without knowing why he wasn’t targeted, we shouldn’t read too much into it either.  

Its the third preseason game that will be more important and right now I think Zay needs to come through and make the most of his opportunities or he may fall down the depth chart.  He drops another important pass then he is going to be vulnerable to falling out favor with the staff IMO.  It’s his third year, you can’t still be dropping TDS and great throws from Allen and see your job be safe.

He has a good game, I think a lot of us who are skeptical about him still will feel a little less concerned.  Another no show or more drops and it’s only going to fuel the concerns.

• Like (+1) 3

My opinion on Zay. Not going to bag on him.. Not going to be upset if he is sent packing either

He has shown improvement but still has untimely drops. So I'm just on the fence with the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A reporter asked if Zay has accepted/embraced his reduced role, and McD basically said yes...did NOT dispute a reduced role, which is what I found interesting and spoke to the fact that Zay has accepted it too.  In fact, McD had a couple chances to kind put stronger support behind Zay and elected to be pretty mellow about it and spoke in ways to confirm a reduced role while also pointing out they are still also working to confirm roles.  

He definitely still said a couple positive things about him, but felt it also wasn't the strongest endorsement either and McD missed some spots to show a bigger commitment to him.

Could be nothing, but just found it interesting that he didn't dispute a reduced role and seemed reserved and careful in some of his answers.  

All the returning WRs will have reduced roles - the first two guys on the depth chart are Brown and Beasely.  Honestly, nothing to see here.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wasn’t saying he’s gonna be cut, just that he didn’t dispute the reduced role and even acknowledged that Zay has embraced the reduced role.  

Again, could be nothing.  But the quote on Twitter definitely misleads a bit of what McD really said and paints a rosier picture than I think how it came across.

I just found it interesting that there were opportunities to say Zay was a big part of the offense and elected not to and instead supported the narrative in the reporters question about him being in a reduced role.  Felt very political like how he answered the questions.  

Im not going to overly focus on the fact he was a non factor in preseason game 2.  It’s foolish to read too much into that as in that game we don’t know what the coaches are focused on emphasizing and working on.  Some want to write Zay off over it, and I get it after another bad drop week 1 and then being a ghost in week 2.   But without knowing why he wasn’t targeted, we shouldn’t read too much into it either.  

Its the third preseason game that will be more important and right now I think Zay needs to come through and make the most of his opportunities or he may fall down the depth chart.  He drops another important pass then he is going to be vulnerable to falling out favor with the staff IMO.  It’s his third year, you can’t still be dropping TDS and great throws from Allen and see your job be safe.

He has a good game, I think a lot of us who are skeptical about him still will feel a little less concerned.  Another no show or more drops and it’s only going to fuel the concerns.

wasn't implying you were. just saying they are coming. two weeks 

19 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Zay has had some horrible drops. More than a WR should. End of story. I don’t hate him and hope he gets better but at this point he is who he is.... A slightly better version of Josh Reed. 

This sounds right me, we just need a play where Zay bounces off three Miami Dolphin defenders into the endzone for a touchdown and they'll basically be the same player.

2. Dawson Knox making his first preseason appearance

Rookie tight end Dawson Knox is a full-go in practice and will play in Friday’s game, says McDermott.

Knox has been dealing with a hamstring injury that has left him as a limited participant throughout most of training camp and has not played in Buffalo’s first two preseason contests.

“We’ll see how today goes,” McDermott said. “With the load he’ll have today and then we’ll make a determination whether he’ll be on a managed count come game time or not. But at this time we expect him to play. How much remains to be seen.”

3. Increased workloads for veteran running backs

LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore have each missed a preseason game. McCoy did not appear in the Week 1 victory against Indianapolis while Gore did not appear against Carolina last week.

Both should be on the field this week, according to McDermott.

“Both will get more work than they’ve gotten before,” McDermott said. “We’ll continue to communicate about the plan all the way up until game time.”

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

wasn't implying you were. just saying they are coming. two weeks 

Oh yeah I know, I was just clarifying what I had said :)

Of course, he is also not totally safe from being cut if he has a bad game, just like anyone else competing for a position and role on this team.

So it could be an important game for Zay and his role here I would think, although I still doubt they would just cut him.  

Interesting side fact:  His game against Lions last year was IMO worst of his season and maybe career.  So I have 2 questions:

1.  Is Slay playing this week?

2.  If so, is John Brown going to play and draw Slay instead of Zay?  Or if Brown sits, does Slay cover Foster or Zay?  

Could Zay rise to the occasion if Slay covers him at all again is a legit question.  Same goes for Foster if Slay plays and covers Foster as he’s fighting the same questions and fighting for establishing his role too it would appear.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looking forward to seeing Knox play.  Hoping they keep him, Sweeney and Smith and show Croom the door.  He can always be picked up later/

Me too, and I’m hoping we see two TE sets this week with Knox and Sweeney too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yeah I know, I was just clarifying what I had said :)

Of course, he is also not totally safe from being cut if he has a bad game, just like anyone else competing for a position and role on this team.

So it could be an important game for Zay and his role here I would think, although I I still doubt they would just cut him.  

Interesting side fact:  His game against Lions last year was IMO worst of his season and maybe career.  So I have 2 questions:

1.  Is Slay playing this week?

2.  If so, is John Brown going to play and draw Slay instead of Zay?  Or if Brown sits, does Slay cover Foster or Zay?  

Could Zay rise to the occasion if Slay covers him at all again is a legit question.  Same goes for Foster if Slay plays and covers Foster as he’s fighting the same questions and fighting for establishing his role too it would appear.

Me too, and I’m hoping we see two TE sets this week with Knox and Sweeney too.  

Buffalo Bills think unselfishness of Zay Jones could have impact in win column

One player received celebratory claps and shouts after running downfield on a punt from Corey Bojorquez to tap it near the goal line to prevent it from going into the end zone.

That player was Bills wide receiver Zay Jones, who’s playing special teams for the first time of his NFL career.

With the additions of veteran receivers John Brown and slot man Cole Beasley, Jones suddenly became a bit more available to contribute in other areas of the game.

When Bills coach Sean McDermott asked him to try out some special teams work, Jones didn’t hesitate.

“I knew that I could do it and I knew I was capable of doing it. I think that’s a key of winning games - to be unselfish,” Jones said. “You gotta try to put your team first - whatever it takes to win (at) whatever position it is.

It may be a little bit uncomfortable for you at first but you go do it with a good attitude and then you get good results off of it.”

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I've been repeatedly told that I'm imagining those drops.

You mean the eight or so drops in the five minutes of drops video? Those  ever happened... 

Joking aside, I truly hope Jones can clean up the catches in traffic thing.

Go Bills!!!

23 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Buffalo Bills think unselfishness of Zay Jones could have impact in win column

One player received celebratory claps and shouts after running downfield on a punt from Corey Bojorquez to tap it near the goal line to prevent it from going into the end zone.

That player was Bills wide receiver Zay Jones, who’s playing special teams for the first time of his NFL career.

With the additions of veteran receivers John Brown and slot man Cole Beasley, Jones suddenly became a bit more available to contribute in other areas of the game.

When Bills coach Sean McDermott asked him to try out some special teams work, Jones didn’t hesitate.

“I knew that I could do it and I knew I was capable of doing it. I think that’s a key of winning games - to be unselfish,” Jones said. “You gotta try to put your team first - whatever it takes to win (at) whatever position it is.

It may be a little bit uncomfortable for you at first but you go do it with a good attitude and then you get good results off of it.”

Thats a great thing to see, and good read, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Slay? Gonna play and draw Zay you say? No way, make him pay. He just may.

How about he just goes eat some hay? He can make things out of clay and lay by the bay.

What do you say?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What’s the latest on Foster and his foot?  Is he practicing today?  Is he expected to play Friday?  Feels like he needs to step up this week and in this game himself.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm going to guess his foot is alright.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1