Name 5 teams better then the Buffalo Bills

HOUSE

It's really a stretch to say the Bills are one of the top five teams in the NFL right now.  I realize many of us are high on the fumes of "the process" but let's face it -- this team hasn't proven anything yet.

If I put on my "realistic" hat and avoid blatant homerism, I think one could make a reasonable argument that when you examine the franchise from top to bottom -- coaching and personnel -- the Bills have the talent to be in the upper half of the league.  So that's top sixteen.  I can't go farther than that until they start playing some real games.

• Like (+1) 3

Five teams I’d make unlimited bets on finishing better than the Bills:

Patriots

Steelers

Browns

Chiefs

Rams

The Bills are somewhere in the next group:

Jets

Tennessee

Colts (dependent on Luck) 

Chargers

Eagles

Packers

Vikings

Bears

Saints

Falcons

....so, top half of the league? There’s no shame in that, they’re trending in the right direction but the offensive skill positions aren’t there yet.

Just now, eanyills said:

Five teams I’d make unlimited bets on finishing better than the Bills:

Patriots

Steelers

Browns

Chiefs

Rams

The Bills are somewhere in the next group:

Jets

Tennessee

Colts (dependent on Luck) 

Chargers

Eagles

Packers

Vikings

Bears

Saints

Falcons

....so, top half of the league? There’s no shame in that, they’re trending in the right direction but the offensive skill positions aren’t there yet.

How did the Jets make it into that group? I keep hearing that the Jets are going to be better, but I cannot understand why. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Four posts in and we already have:

"better then" in the thread title 

"pump the breaks" in a post

let's go for the record!!!!!!!

It's defiantly a mute point, but I could care less.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Love the enthusiasm and optimism but how do we know? We’ve only seen preseason. If we were perennial winners, maybe this would be an easier question, but we’ve still got to prove ourselves when it counts. 

Love what I see so far but I’ve got to pump the breaks on preseason optimism. 

Now turn that argument around to the other 31 teams. It's only preseason. How do we know for sure those teams are any good? Because of last year? What if all the reasons those teams were good last year changed this year? Football is more than a Madden score.

20 minutes ago, eball said:

It's really a stretch to say the Bills are one of the top five teams in the NFL right now.  I realize many of us are high on the fumes of "the process" but let's face it -- this team hasn't proven anything yet.

If I put on my "realistic" hat and avoid blatant homerism, I think one could make a reasonable argument that when you examine the franchise from top to bottom -- coaching and personnel -- the Bills have the talent to be in the upper half of the league.  So that's top sixteen.  I can't go farther than that until they start playing some real games.

Part of my optimism is schedule based. We do not have a very difficult schedule. Rather than worry about where the Bills rank in the whole NFL, just think about where we rank versus the teams we will play.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, we wouldn’t be walking in to the Eagles or Saints stadiums in January. But we might meet them at a neutral site in February.

It's a thought exercise.  I think that's more relevant than saying "we could surprise every team in the league at home in week 6".

the Pats, i have about a 1% belief they will be worse off than the Bills under any scenario.

which means the Bills are playing for a wild card spot from week one

so the Bills could be up there and still not make the playoffs due to an AFC division fleecing a weak NFC division or an AFC division with top strong teams crushing it's 2 others

Edited by row_33

41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, we wouldn’t be walking in to the Eagles or Saints stadiums in January. But we might meet them at a neutral site in February.

for clarification, Is it 

in to   or    into    

asking for a friend    :lol:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I think Buffalo would beat some of the tougher teams at home. Top 5?  No

two road games to begin, which on paper they have a shot, would be nice to split at worst....

better grab one, the Pats are week 4

It's the NFL, so it would be difficult for most teams to win twice against even a middle of the road team. The good news about this mental exercise is at least I can honestly say we shouldn't be doormats for anyone.

13 minutes ago, Capco said:

Welcome to fandom.  

43 years of it, grounds for some optimism in 2019 are undeniable, first time since 2001 or so.....

don't let us down, Bills......  please....

• Like (+1) 2

Clearly better?  Ok:

pats

rams

chiefs

eagles

chargers

colts (with luck)

saints

probably better:

browns

steelers

texans

seahawks

packers

cowboys

And just to be clear, I’m feeling very optimistic. But want to see it in the reg season. I think the 2019 upside is to get into that group of “prob better” teams. 

I think the 2020 upside is being in the top tier. 

Just trying to be optimistic and patient at the same time. 

Edited by dubs
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Realistically, this squad is a top 15 on the field and a top 25 on paper. As much as we love the team,  there are very few, if any, nfl analysts that would not consider the Bills as over-achieving if they reached further than a wild card game in the playoffs. The McBean regime has assembled a good group, but one without any prime-of-their-career game changers that have historically dominated the league at the top level. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

How did the Jets make it into that group? I keep hearing that the Jets are going to be better, but I cannot understand why. 

^^^This. Don’t forget the Jets just came through an offseason of rank dysfunction, firing their GM right after they gave him the keys to the kingdom in running the draft and finishing up FA! Who does that and expects to be world beaters the same year? Their line is expected to be terrible, and their coach who apparently won a power struggle, never wanted the biggest FA splash that they got, in Bell. Why shouldn’t the Jets be on a “prove it” basis even more so than the Bills? They are the ones with a 1st yr HC who was just fired within the same division (how do those types of hires usually go, *cough* sexy Rexy) 1st yr GM and questions along their roster to boot. C’mon man! We should be considered favorites to sweep them imho, and be in a class of better teams above them. 

• Like (+1) 1