Federal Energy Program recommended thermostat settings

/dev/null

There’s a contradiction in there.  If the thermostat is set to 82, I won’t be able to sleep. 

We we have an oversized window unit in our bedroom. If we close the bedroom door, we can get it down below 68 pretty easily, even in a midsummer heat wave. That’s the way we like it. 

46 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Gov't want to tell me how to set my thermostat?  

Summer time - 74 day / night

Winter time - 72 day / 70 night

Of course they do. Then you will will save energy by using less to heat and cool your house. The supplier will then charge you more for that energy because their profits drop and it's a win win for the government and their wealthy supporters in the industry...... 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Remember 40 years ago, when the government just told you to wear a sweater?

• Like (+1) 1

78/79 daytime. outside temps generally in the mid 90's with heat index over 100. July/August

79 at night and it usually doesn't even kick on with the outside temps dropping to 73 /75.

these settings are summer related

fall/winter/spring don't even need a/c really. 

edit: ceiling fans help to keep the cool air circulating.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Jeez - it's not like they're passing a law about it. It's simply a suggestion for saving energy. It's no different than the RDA for vitamins and minerals, the food pyramid, etc. Nobody's forcing you to change your thermostats.

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Jeez - it's not like they're passing a law about it. It's simply a suggestion for saving energy. It's no different than the RDA for vitamins and minerals, the food pyramid, etc. Nobody's forcing you to change your thermostats.

Is it as poorly-researched as those other things?

16 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Is it as poorly-researched as those other things?

How much research do you need to know that the more your HVAC works, the more energy it uses and the more money you spend on it?

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

How much research do you need to know that the more your HVAC works, the more energy it uses and the more money you spend on it?

Probably as much research as it takes to know that 11 servings of bread per day is bad for you.

Yet, here we are.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don't worry, it's a new thing meant only for Katy apartments.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At night, I wrap myself like a cocoon.

During the day, I usually wear a hoodie because it's cold.  That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it uh huh uh.

You remind me of my wife.  Wrapped in a comforter with fans blasting and of course AC on.

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Remember 40 years ago, when the government just told you to wear a sweater?

Ah yes....the Cardigan Wars...  It was a dark time....

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

You remind me of my wife.  Wrapped in a comforter with fans blasting and of course AC on.

In Winter I try to set the temp to 72 and I get reamed because it's too cold.  In Summer I try to set the temp to 72 and I get reamed because it's too hot.