Trent Murphy - What Am I Missing?

GG

On 8/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, LSHMEAB said:

This. He can generate some some pressure on occasion and get home, but FAR too often he's out of position both against the run and more importantly(in his case), against the pass. There's an art to an unofficial assisted sack and I don't think I've ever seen Murphy rack one up. Ideally, there are multiple guys forcing the QB to make a decision. If Murphy doesn't win his initial matchup, he's pretty much invisible. When healthy, he's not a worthless player, but he leaves alot to be desired.

Shaq never gets home, but he's better WRT being in position to collapse the pocket when Hughes is closing in. I'm beating a dead horse, but I really don't like our DE unit as a whole.

This capability of this DE unit is exaggerated, and we can be certain that it will be addressed by Beane. We already know that he has explored other avenues  and when the time is right he will. The first priority was to help Josh Allen with a better OL and some serviceable weapons. There is only so much talent available so the DE position is probably next. Until then, we will have to live in denial.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's debatable and it's not saying much due to the lackluster talent at the position on the team. I'd take Shaq over Murphy.

Im interested to see how Ansah performs when he comes back from injury. Was hoping they'd sign him despite his injury history. 

Unfortunately it's going to hold the defense back from being a really good unit. The lack of pass rush is why this defense is solid but not a top unit.

I know, and when I think of this defense and the DE unit, I have to place an asterisk next to it.

Edited by Rocket94

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

By a lot. This fan base. Snap judgments are made and that’s just the end of it. Doesn’t matter that Trent is finally healthy and able to play to speed. Trent got his label and he is therefore terrible. 

Actually no

The OP was made after the first two games, and Murphy was a relative nonfactor in both, except for the 4th down sack. 

I haven't rewatched the Lions game to provide an opinion, but midway through preseason, Shaq has outplayed him

15 minutes ago, GG said:

Actually no

The OP was made after the first two games, and Murphy was a relative nonfactor in both, except for the 4th down sack. 

I haven't rewatched the Lions game to provide an opinion, but midway through preseason, Shaq has outplayed him

Wait. You watch games too? And you have a different opinion? I mean, why even explain or make an argument. You must be right. Solid contribution. 

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wait. You watch games too? And you have a different opinion? I mean, why even explain or make an argument. You must be right. Solid contribution. 

Have another drink 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Of our DEs, he has created more pressure than any other player on the team. He is the fastest DE, and he has more moves than Shaq. Shaq can’t get to the QB unless the play breaks down. 

First 2 game tapes don't show that, but keep swinging.  

On 8/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, JoPoy88 said:

You're not missing anything - Murphy sucks and is completely unreliable. There are various agendas at work trying to convince people otherwise. Glad to see you aren't falling for it.

It is called denial!

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

This capability of this DE unit is exaggerated, and we can be certain that it will be addressed by Beane. We already know that he has explored other avenues  and when the time is right he will. The first priority was to help Josh Allen with a better OL and some serviceable weapons. There is only so much talent available so the DE position is probably next. Until then, we will have to live in denial.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

That's debatable and it's not saying much due to the lackluster talent at the position on the team. I'd take Shaq over Murphy.

Im interested to see how Ansah performs when he comes back from injury. Was hoping they'd sign him despite his injury history. 

Unfortunately it's going to hold the defense back from being a really good unit. The lack of pass rush is why this defense is solid but not a top unit.

Clowney!

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Trent generates pass rush similar to what Chris Kelsay did, he'll never be a 10 sack guy but think he can get 6-8 sacks if he can play a full 16 game schedule. I don't get all the hate he gets. It's not like we're paying him $12 million a season. 

He’s exactly what a 7 mill/year pass rusher looks like. If you want Clowney you need to pay Clowney money (which they might...)

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s exactly what a 7 mill/year pass rusher looks like. If you want Clowney you need to pay Clowney money (which they might...)

I'm not sure Clowney's worth $12 million a year as he's been a good pass rusher in Houston but not top 10 NFL good. 

Just watched the first half again, and my opinion hasn't changed too much.  Murphy looked better than in the first two games, but not enough to ease concern about that side of the DL.   

As a side note I won't be surprised if Bam Johnson doesn't supplant Murphy as starter by week 4.  

Reminds me of those guys who played opposite of Aaron Schobel - Ryan Denney from the 2000s era team. He’s got ideal size and when healthy a good push, but he will never be an edge rusher that can generate consistent pressure. His job is to collapse the pocket and set the edge on runs. He’s almost so tall he’s unable to get under and around the OT. Not a great player but fits a role.

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Trent generates pass rush similar to what Chris Kelsay did, he'll never be a 10 sack guy but think he can get 6-8 sacks if he can play a full 16 game schedule. I don't get all the hate he gets. It's not like we're paying him $12 million a season. 

He doesn't get as much hate as Shady does and Shady is a future HOFer

I think it's foolish to make sweeping judgements of a player, especially a starter, from a few limited snaps in preseason games.

No game plan. Vanilla plays. Starters probably not trying super hard. Can we at least wait till after week 1 to condemn this guy? Preferably week 2.

Edited by MJS