Trent Murphy - What Am I Missing?

GG

I thought it was an odd coincidence that recently McD highlighted his play, followed by Leslie talking about him at length at today's press conference.  Then came the extended discussion between Murph & Tasker on their show.   All talked about how Trent is newly energized, doesn't have to worry about his past injuries and is truly contributing to the defense.

But all that talk isn't backed up by game film, where it's clear that Shaq is outperforming him.  Save for a nice spin move on a sack, Murphy has been as invisible as last year.  Wondering if the public pep talks are more for motivation or something else, because he's not showing it on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Reports from camp this year were overwhelmingly positive for him comparatively speaking, IIRC, but yes, he failed to hold contain throughout much of the night against Carolina. I’m still not sure what to make of him honestly—I guess mostly I assume he’ll end up injured by Week 4 and be a non-story thereafter? Hope he proves us all wrong and has an all-pro renaissance season!

• Like (+1) 4

He’s a good pass rusher that has been terrible with his responsibilities that don’t include pass rushing.  He has a role on passing downs.  While I think Shaq is a decent player, I also think he’s meant for the right side, which relegates his best play as a backup.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Save for a nice spin move on a sack, Murphy has been as invisible as last year.  

Murphy had 8 snaps vs the Colts and 14 vs the Panthers (vs. 8 and 21 for Lawson).     Not a big body of work to judge him on,   But with all his injuries, it looks like he's making progress getting healthy, which is step one for now...

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Murphy had 8 snaps vs the Colts and 14 vs the Panthers (vs. 8 and 21 for Lawson).     Not a big body of work to judge him on,   But with all his injuries, it looks like he's making progress getting healthy, which is step one for now...

Simply comparing the effectiveness of his snaps to Lawson’s. Lawson looked better to the naked eye.

30 minutes ago, GG said:

I thought it was an odd coincidence that recently McD highlighted his play, followed by Leslie talking about him at length at today's press conference.  Then came the extended discussion between Murph & Tasker on their show.   All talked about how Trent is newly energized, doesn't have to worry about his past injuries and is truly contributing to the defense.

But all that talk isn't backed up by game film, where it's clear that Shaq is outperforming him.  Save for a nice spin move on a sack, Murphy has been as invisible as last year.  Wondering if the public pep talks are more for motivation or something else, because he's not showing it on the field.

I agree with your assessment. I've not been impressed with his play at all but by all reports he's healthy and ready to contribute. He may be listed as a starter but I expect him to be heavily rotated.

Maybe holding back a bit since its preseason since there's no imminent danger of him being cut.

Edited by billsbackto81

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s a good pass rusher that has been terrible with his responsibilities that don’t include pass rushing.  He has a role on passing downs.  While I think Shaq is a decent player, I also think he’s meant for the right side, which relegates his best play as a backup.  

Twice on pass rush plays I saw Murphy go from his side all the way to the opposite end.  His ability to contain the qb from his side is lost. Jerry will be chasing the qb, who will Immediately roll out to Trent/Shaq's side. You'll see it all year. Unless they line up Ed over there?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD loves him because he absolutely oozes the “Process” with his gym work and attitude to training..

Thats pretty much all you need to know for 2019, and also considering his salary this year is pretty much guaranteed..

I agree though that it doesn’t mean he will always be fit to play and his recent history suggests he will miss more games than he plays..

If he has another patchy year this year with injury  then we won’t see him back in 2020..

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Twice on pass rush plays I saw Murphy go from his side all the way to the opposite end.  His ability to contain the qb from his side is lost. Jerry will be chasing the qb, who will Immediately roll out to Trent/Shaq's side. You'll see it all year. Unless they line up Ed over there?

This. He can generate some some pressure on occasion and get home, but FAR too often he's out of position both against the run and more importantly(in his case), against the pass. There's an art to an unofficial assisted sack and I don't think I've ever seen Murphy rack one up. Ideally, there are multiple guys forcing the QB to make a decision. If Murphy doesn't win his initial matchup, he's pretty much invisible. When healthy, he's not a worthless player, but he leaves alot to be desired.

Shaq never gets home, but he's better WRT being in position to collapse the pocket when Hughes is closing in. I'm beating a dead horse, but I really don't like our DE unit as a whole.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Pretty coordinated PR effort to talk up Murphy and I'm sure it has a lot to do with him being a McBeane guy whereas Shaq is not.  The contract they handed him is something they've take heat for and now they're trying to highlight the player with him healthy.    

One wonders when they'll start in on Star Lotulelei.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This. He can generate some some pressure on occasion and get home, but FAR too often he's out of position both against the run and more importantly(in his case), against the pass. There's an art to an unofficial assisted sack and I don't think I've ever seen Murphy rack one up. Ideally, there are multiple guys forcing the QB to make a decision. If Murphy doesn't win his initial matchup, he's pretty much invisible. When healthy, he's not a worthless player, but he leaves alot to be desired.

Shaq never gets home, but he's better WRT being in position to collapse the pocket when Hughes is closing in. I'm beating a dead horse, but I really don't like our DE unit as a whole.

This. This. This. 

That's all. 

Edit: well not quite all..... Murphy thinks "the edge" is just a guitarist in U2. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GG said:

Agree 100%, but I think the expectations for him were way overblown when the Bills signed him. The Bills talked him up as a big signing but he was not an elite player in Washington. He is just an average rotational DE.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GG said:

Simply comparing the effectiveness of his snaps to Lawson’s. Lawson looked better to the naked eye.

He's simply getting used to being healthy again, IMO.   

Like driving a new car for the first time in a long while, you don't go full out into the turns or keep the pedal to the metal until you gain more confidence in how it handles.  Regular season is still weeks away, 

IIRC, Bruce Smith looked like a scrub in preseason every year.  Not comparing Murphy to the GOAT, but not going to over-scrutinize 22 snaps as well...