Bears GM Ryan Pace needs to sign Carli Lloyd

JoeF

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't understand D1 colleges with terrible football kickers and both a mens and womens soccer program. There are plenty of them too.

No kidding....great point

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't understand D1 colleges with terrible football kickers and both a mens and womens soccer program. There are plenty of them too.

I don't think the skill set is completely the same.

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Playing football in college as the kicker is a huge bore. Why would a soccer player want that (the random 32 who make it to the nfl are lottery winners who worked on one strange subset skill)?

The appeal of the games themselves aside, football kicker vs soccer player...soccer is more fun for 999/1000 kids.  

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

Playing football in college as the kicker is a huge bore. Why would a soccer player want that (the random 32 who make it to the nfl are lottery winners who worked on one strange subset skill)?

The appeal of the games themselves aside, football kicker vs soccer player...soccer is more fun for 999/1000 kids.  

..Roch-Cha-Cha's very own Bob Thomas, a McQuaid HS soccer player,  kicked for Notre Dame, went on to become the Bears' PK and now is the Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court...

3 hours ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

Idk, it might be pretty sweet to nail a game winner for a top college program and have the field get rushed.

Hell,  maybe we should sign her,  they would have to build her a locker room though... 

(meant in in a humorous way)

Go Bills!! 

39 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

Yes but that's .0001% of kickers. The rest of the time, you're the team joke and sit on the sidelines for all but 3-5 plays of a game. 

I'm not sure what your point is, but being on the football team is usually a big deal in college.

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

This is such a massive inefficiency in college football.  The state of FG kicking at the D1 level is sooo sooo bad.

27 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I'm not sure what your point is, but being on the football team is usually a big deal in college.

The point is that most soccer players have the leg to kick a ball 55 yards and choose not to do the work to specialize with a football because if you have that single skill, it’s more fun to play soccer than to be the football kicker. Of course that’s not everyone and of course it’s fun to be a kicker, but one of the reasons college kicking blows chunks is that most of the legs capable of kicking footballs are instead kicking soccer balls. 

On the flip side, US soccer sucks because most of the kids who would be killer soccer athletes play football and hoops!

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

plenty of soccer players have tried to kick a football.  wasn't tony meola on the bills like 25 years ago for 5 minutes in camp?  the us soccer goalie now explained it isn't the same as soccer so it probably won't ever work 

except the people who started soccer style kicking in football all came from soccer backgrounds. Pete Gogolak and Jan Stenerud come to mind but there was a massive trend of having tiny little foreign guys as your kicker for years and years.