McDermott to be fired?

1 hour ago, Putin said:

It’s really SAD how pathetic espn has become  and this has nothing to do with This article or the Bills in general, 

espn USED to be my ( BY FAR ) favorite channel in the 90’s  with Chris B Stuart Scott and the company,  now the only way I’ll watch espn is maybe if the Yankees are on that’s IT , 

My sentiments exactly.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-most-likely-to-get-fired-after-disastrous-season-says-espn.html

The Hate is Real. 

Still, anticipation and expectations are at an all time post ‘99 high. What happens if our record is worse than last year? 

How far has ESPN fallen?

Chandler, they have fallen to the basement.  I will not read or watch ESPN.

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McD is 10-15 since that start in 2017 and over those games his team has been outscored by almost 200 points.  Not to mention, 8 of those 15 losses were blowouts.  

PF / PA

2017: 151-244 (weeks 7 thru 17)

2018: 269-374

People also tend to forget that at the 2018 mid-season, Buffalo's offense was among the league's worst since rule changes to favor passing were implemented in 1978.  Through 9 games they'd scored all of 96 points.  

In most cities, being .500 or within 1 win and missing the playoffs in year 3 gets you fired.  Despite the track record, I doubt T/K Pegs would fire McD.  They want to avoid the hiring process given the HC hires for both their teams.

I agree, I have been saying it quite a bit, this team gets destroyed on a pretty regular basis.. That should not happen.  New England loses some games, but its very rare they are severly beaten down.  The team lost by 2td or more 4 times last year alone and most of the wins were by a score or less.   The talent is weak, I get it.  BUT, back to a great coach, which should be the goal, NE has had some horrible Defensive teams and a lot of scrap heap offensive players too and they are the undisputed king of football..  I haven't seen any indication McClappy is taking this team anywhere great.  If they hit bottom again, he should go.  If he fufills every homer's dream and wins the division, then Im happy to be wrong.

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

To be fair, a lot of that was due to Peterman.... but at the same time the defense did start terribly out the gate the first two weeks of the season and Peterman was McBeanes decision.

At this point the team just isn't filled with many game changers. They have a few solid players, but no real elite game changing type of players. 

And had they paid attention they would have known Peterman has been gone for nearly a year.

Gruden should be fired for bringing him in as a viable BU 

16 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

Gotta give McDermott at least 4 seasons, IMO.

I think they will, but I also feel the days of "rebuilding" are dead, everyone is expected to perform NOW.  That applies to players, coaches, front office.  There isn't a 4 year window anymore.  Qbs are thrown in the fire, might be given 2 years to be pretty solid with a lot if promise, used to be 3 years was supposed to be the "start" of success.  Examples like the Eagles and the Rams have made it appear you csn turn a team from mediocre to Superbowl teams in a year. Obviously, its not that easy, but it doesn't change the perception.

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McD is 10-15 since that start in 2017 and over those games his team has been outscored by almost 200 points.  Not to mention, 8 of those 15 losses were blowouts.  

PF / PA

2017: 151-244 (weeks 7 thru 17)

2018: 269-374

People also tend to forget that at the 2018 mid-season, Buffalo's offense was among the league's worst since rule changes to favor passing were implemented in 1978.  Through 9 games they'd scored all of 96 points.  

In most cities, being .500 or within 1 win and missing the playoffs in year 3 gets you fired.  Despite the track record, I doubt T/K Pegs would fire McD.  They want to avoid the hiring process given the HC hires for both their teams.

Over the last 2 years buffalo has had basically - a bottom 5 offense.  Teams like that typically win like 3 games.  So to have made the playoffs - proves to me that this guy has some chops.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He comes off as a good defensive coach who struggles to understand offense. 

Just a lot of head scratching offensive personnel moves since hes arrived here.

and undisciplined players, and blowout losses and 1-11 in challenges. 

Head (scratching) Coach. All the talk about Allen taking a big step this year is secondary to Sean taking a big step, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

What if we finish 6-10?

6-10 and McDermott/Beane are still solid/safe IMO.  I sense the Pegulas intend on sticking with management of both the Sabres and Bills for more than the typical 3 year window as they are exhausted with firing people.  They also want to try the whole 'continuity' thing in practice.

I think they absolutely planned on hanging onto Housley as late as February, but the Sabres went into a spectacularly bad slide in the last 1/4 of the season, losing like 17 of 18 games and only winning like 5 in regulation after New Year's or something like that.  There was no choice but to can Housley.

IMO, it would take a really bad season.  Like 1-4 wins, along with a major public blowout/tune-out of the players and/or falling out with ownership.  

35 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

and undisciplined players, and blowout losses and 1-11 in challenges. 

Head (scratching) Coach. All the talk about Allen taking a big step this year is secondary to Sean taking a big step, imo.

Disagree. It's all about Allen, IMO.

The team's success depends greater on a bigger leap from JA as opposed to SM.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I look at Sean McVay.  Took over a 4-12 team and they won 7 more games.  He took over a garbage offense and a qb people were calling a bust (why it’s so stupid to make concrete judgments about a qb after a year) and made it one of the best offenses in the nfl. 

I dont think there are many coaches who do this.  I’d put regular season Reid, Belichick obviously, and Sean Payton.  I think McDermott is a borderline great DC.  But he has been a disaster at fielding an offense and definitely has a very conservative coaching style.  Well he has his qb so there are no excuses. 

Additionally, I think how much of a step backwards it would be to start over with a new coach.  I think if hey hired an offensive head coach and kept a 4-3, I dont think there would be much if any steps back.  But hopefully this is all moot because SM does seem like a great guy.  But as the last Jauron defender on earth (the fact he got 7 wins out of that talent is amazing!), being a nice guy in the nfl only gets you so far.

It seems there's a common thread between the coaches you've listed and their Qbs. Two of these QBs are sure fire HOfers and all time greats. The other two are bright young studs with unlimited future potential for success.

As you mentioned, you'd take "regular season" Reid. I would too. Why hasn't he gotten over the hump? He hasn't had the game changer at QB. Ever. Good coaching is good. A good coach with a game changing QB becomes great. If the Chiefs go ahead and win a SB with Reid and Mahomes leading the way, what do you suppose the narrative would be? 

Was BB a noted offensive mind before TB. No, of course not. He sure as hell seems like one now, doesn't he?

I question just how good a coach Sean Payton actually is. With Brees, I'd expect more than just one SB.

My question to you was what is an elite coaching style. Your answer never mentions anything about coaching style. 

Here's my point. If the Bills should win a SB(s) with McDermott and JA, will it be because SM changed or acquired a winning "style" or, more likely,  because they have found the difference making QB?

Edited by inaugural balls
  • Like (+1) 1